Mark’s 1/48 Trumpeter Hawker Sea Hawk FGA Mk.6 (finished)

MarkSH

This is looking very good in a short time. 

It has to be the prettiest aircraft ever to serve as a fighter. 

I'm glad you're contributing one to the GB

Colin 

2 hours ago, Colin W said:

This is looking very good in a short time. 

It has to be the prettiest aircraft ever to serve as a fighter. 

I'm glad you're contributing one to the GB

Colin 

I agree even without the flaps and before it gets cluttered with external bits and pieces, I was enjoying looking at it’s simple, graceful lines as it sat on the bench last night. Something about the cockpit sitting so far forward gives it a sense of motion anyway. It’s been a favourite of mine for as long as I can remember.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandboof said:

Great detail work Looking forward to some colour 

Martin H

So am I, but its too bleedin' cold to go out to the garage and prime the thing:chilly:

• Like 3

Evening all,

Finally warm enough to get into the garage and apply some rattle can primer to the Sea Hawk, which showed up some areas requiring remedial filling and sanding but overall not that many so reasonably happy, apart from some fine drops of condensation that appeared on the model whilst I left it to dry, ironically in the garage, won't do that again!

39702143995_b83daa32a1_b.jpg

39702145405_dbcc56925d_b.jpg

A bit more primer tomorrow and then finally can get some colour on her!

Cheers, M.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

A small amount of progress with the Sea Hawk

Had to reset the windscreen as it had slipped off to one side, how exactly I'm not sure, fortunately that was accomplished without any major damage.

I have done some understated pre-shading and kept it fairly loose almost a halfway house between black basing. and I have applied the 'sky' coat to the necessary areas, as well as getting some of the other assemblies painted up such as the wheels.

Next job is the masking for the dark sea grey coat for which I will probably be accused of heresy by making the decision to lighten and add more blue to Tamiya XF-54 DSG as I felt it needed brightening up a bit plus (and I know local ambient light and sky reflection plays a big part) every photo you see of a Sea Hawk or contemporary it seems to be quite blue.

40136901834_48ba701bdf_b.jpg

40136901174_934e5fce30_b.jpg

40136901374_8e018b6c8c_b.jpg

Cheers, M.

• Like 6

Evening all,

This is my last effort for the weekend; masked off and sprayed the top colour, went quite well with only a couple of small areas that are going to need some remedial touching up, but after the problems I had with the Beaufighter a while back I'm not too worried and am actually quietly pleased that I can face the working week ahead with a fairly calm and relaxed demeanor. 

I used Tamiya's white flexible tape for the curvy bits and it worked reasonably well for gentle curves. The problem of the peeled primer was caused by normal (de-stickified) Tamiya tape which had been cut to the required shape 'Off-model' and it still pulled the primer anyway I had also totally under sprayed that bit so I'd have had to re-visit it anyhow. The port tail plane also got occluded by some masking and that'll need touching up also

39075343730_36e5e2ab25_b.jpg

39075344610_52f1e536dd_b.jpg

39075344120_c6f05156c2_b.jpg

Cheers, M.

• Like 6

Hello chaps,

Now you'll have to admit that it wouldn't be a true MarkSH build if it didn't have at least one decal disaster would it!?

So after much research and pouring over source material, internet images and kit instructions I decided on a radical approach to decal placement........

40957101531_6c1b97a396_b.jpg

Probably not one the purists amongst you would appreciate, but one endeavors to push the boundaries.

In truth the wing stripes went on without a hitch......well almost, but I'll let you guys spot my deliberate mistake when Its finished. However turning my determined attentions to the fuselage stripes they seemed to be much more delicate than the others and ole' sausage fingers here went from bad to worse eventually settling on my radical plan, phase one of which can be seen in the image above. To be honest they didn't fit the shape of the fuselage that well anyway :whistle:

Sea Hawk decals placement plan - phase two

Paint the bloody stripes........

40957103541_c011cc4ba5_b.jpg

However the main problem is were not dealing with just black and white as with my Beaufighter decal FUBAR (did I mention that I hate decals, oh no that was in the Typhoon build thread), anyway so above you can see the first couple of thinned coats of Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow which whilst close to the decal yellow will require that I filter the yellow of the wing stripes with the paint as well, I've tested a small area and I think it'll work.....watch this space.

So, there you have it chaps fun all the way, and as they say worse things happen at sea....which is why I don't build many ships!

Cheers, M.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Great looking Sea Hawk you making Mark. Not surprised the decals didn't work on the fuselage with all these curves. But why didn't you airbrush the yellow? First white followed by yellow as yellow doesn't cover very well.

Did you correct the gun opening on your build? By the way, I wouldn't use the Trumpeter decals for the roundels as they all show a black rim around the blue (at least on all the pictures I have seen).

Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Peter

7 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Great looking Sea Hawk you making Mark. Not surprised the decals didn't work on the fuselage with all these curves. But why didn't you airbrush the yellow? First white followed by yellow as yellow doesn't cover very well.

I'm better with a brush than I am with an airbrush and the masking annoys the crap out of me. 

I have got some replacements for the roundels and, all joking aside, and not making excuses for my general ham-fistedness, but the fuselage decals are not well shaped to the fuselage profile, if you're doing a Suez striped version for the carriers GB I'd consider ditching them altogether.

I didn't correct the angle of the gun ports but I did drill them out as they were very shallow.

Cheers, M.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

I'm better with a brush than I am with an airbrush and the masking annoys the crap out of me.

Fair enough. Maybe you just need to practice a bit with your airbrush on an old model. Drilling open the guns does enhance the model nicely.

43 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

... if you're doing a Suez striped version for the carriers GB I'd consider ditching them altogether.

I will only use the decals for the stencil and the small stuff as I prefer to paint most of the markings, that is if my build gets this far.

Cheers, Peter

Evening all,

Finally got the decals done and a gloss coat applied, just waiting for it to harden up before adding some very limited weathering and adding the final bits of details.

27204636788_44f25ea7b1_b.jpg

I think the hand painted stripes on the rear fuselage worked OK, but I will think very hard about whether or not to use decals for such markings in the future, especially around complex curves like those found on the Sea Hawk rear fuselage. Infact, even the roundel decals were a bit of a pig to get settled over the start of the fairing for the jet exhausts, the starboard side in particular.

As you can see I matched the yellow by painting thinned Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow over the wing stripes which actually worked quite well, as I did think the printed decal yellow was a bit 'in your face'.

I'm going to try and use some of the left over Bare Metal Foil from my NF104 build to line the jet nozzle exhaust 'pen nibs' after the general weathering has been completed.

27204637578_f74c511bec_b.jpg

Here's your opportunity to spot the deliberate mistake on the underside!

27204637128_7e702ec119_b.jpg

And here are most of the remaining bits and pieces to attach to the model including the firing cables for the rockets, fortunately none of the builds I have on the horizon have any rockets to paint up!!

I found it a bit odd that the decals for the external fuel tanks were just black rectangles with no hint of stencilling on them at all, so I added some spare bits of white lettering from left over decal sheets.

Also added some brake lines to the undercarriage legs ready to route once the legs are in position.

Anyway nearly there,

Cheers, M.

• Like 6

Neat work Mark. The stripes look great and there's a wealth of fine details lifting the overall quality of this one due to your extra work.

• Thanks 1

Nice progress Mark. But on all the period pictures I have seen of Sea Hawks fitted with drop tanks, the black signs are only on the port side, but it looks that you placed them on both sides on the drop tanks. Maybe still time to fix this.

Cheers, Peter

On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:53 AM, Basilisk said:

Nice progress Mark. But on all the period pictures I have seen of Sea Hawks fitted with drop tanks, the black signs are only on the port side, but it looks that you placed them on both sides on the drop tanks. Maybe still time to fix this.

Cheers, Peter

I'll stick with it as is, I'm not the first to make the same 'mistake' as that is what the kit instructions show.

23 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Looks gorgeous now.

I can't add stores to mine as it would spoil those great lines.

Colin 

I know what you mean Colin, it does seem a shame to 'busy it up' but at the end of the day it was a working A/C just a very pretty one.

• Sad 1

If I'm missing the point I apologise, but I fail to see why an active decision about how I complete the model merits a 'Sad' reaction.

• Like 1

Sorry Mark, you did miss the point. My "Sad" reaction was due to the fact that Trumpeter got it wrong in the  kit instructions. But then, it isn't the first time they stuff things up :( And you right, there are plenty of built Sea Hawk models having the signs on both side on the drop tanks.

Cheers, Peter

Evening all,

Just getting the final bits and pieces sorted out on this one and time to move on.

41192198462_7b3517ab54_b.jpg

Underwing stores

26363419297_1357b66cf3_b.jpg

Rocket firing cables, undercarriage doors and lined 'pen nib' jet fairings

41192198252_618aecf321_b.jpg

Nose gear doors.

Had considerable difficulty getting my wash to stay in the panel lines and in the end gave up as it was having a detrimental effect on the paintwork. Also what you can't see in these pictures is that one of the B for Bulwark decals on the vertical tail went for a burton so waiting for a home print replacement to dry before lacquering it and hopefully getting it in place.

Cheers, M.

• Like 4

I find many kits panel lines are to shallow after paint to hold a wash especially if you prime,  sometimes ill run my scriber through them ,you dont have to make them  much deeper just taking the shine off the plastic works,  this looks great though all the same,  superb paint job, i like it

• Like 1