H builds the Blackburn Buccaneer đŸ€« Finished Photos 05/04/18

Hockeyboy76

“The Blackburn Buccaneer was a British carrier-borne attack aircraft designed in the 1950s for the Royal Navy (RN). Designed and initially produced by Blackburn Aircraft at Brough, it was later officially known as the Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer when Blackburn became a part of the Hawker Siddeley Group, but this name is rarely used.” (Who knew?)

The above is copied from Wikipedia. 

I plan to build the 1/72 Airfix Buccaneer SB2. I have 2 Gulf war boxings and with thanks to @Nimrod54 and @bentwaters81tfw I have some alternative decals. As we know, everything is cool in a camo wrap, but there are a few interesting schemes to choose from.  I just need to complete my Sherman & Chippy in those GBs first.....maybe. 

Box shots to follow. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see a Hawker Siddeley marketed kit within this GB.

Prior to the Sea Hawk I was seriously contemplating a dual H.S (Folland) Gnat build and still might rethink if time and energy permits. 

Will be keen to see this one buttoned up together. We all love a good Bucc!! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Thats a Hugh question H?? and one that really needs to be decided  up front. If your gonna use plenty of aftermarket stuff then it probably warrants a good rescribe however I wouldn’t go overboard, just pick out the main (read easy) bits. It’s amazing what a few sharp and nicely defined scribe lines can bring out on an old kit and contrary to that, bad or crooked lines will do the opposite. The final paint job (overall one colour or wrap around camo) choice can also conceal or embellish this decision. 

Good luck whichever way you go? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Thanks 1

As Dave says H, if you choose to go down that route then just re-scribe the main panel lines, I use the raised lines as a guide for the scriber, if they are in the correct position.

An alternative to re-scribing, would be to use black or grey primer and after applying your topcoat, lightly sand over the lines to reveal the primer, you can replace any missing panel lines across joins with stretched sprue. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

An alternative to re-scribing, would be to use black or grey primer and after applying your topcoat, lightly sand over the lines to reveal the primer, you can replace any missing panel lines across joins with stretched sprue. 

That’s a good idea. Have seen it done an Airfix Typhoon. 

Have only ever rescribed over lost lines from sanding so a whole airframe of raised lines đŸ€”. I will finish my chippy & Sherman while I ponder. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the chippy, so time to make a start with this while the paint dries on the Sherman. 

I have decided against rescribing the panel lines. There’s too many missing, I can’t find my scribes, I don’t have any dyno tape, ( I think that should cover it). 

Photos to follow. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Haha 2

Photos

resized_7f5da637-e3ac-4da8-a990-b003cfbc

resized_11259537-e302-402a-90a0-42fdfb4b

PE-tastic!

My haphazard aircrew were missing, so a quick raid of my other Bucc found replacements. Plan is crew to be strapped, unsure if canopy will be open or closed. The rest of the afternoon has been spent filling in the copious visible ejector pin marks and building the nose & tail assemblies. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I have decided against rescribing the panel lines. There’s too many missing, I can’t find my scribes, I don’t have any dyno tape, ( I think that should cover it). 

Or IMBM for short (It's My Bloody Model) ;) 

Nice to see this one getting underway HB76 :thumbsup: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

IMBM

Like that a lot👏👍

Feel free to use it any time you wish :) 

• Thanks 1

Just a little progress today, tarting up the main wheel bays & adding some holes in the oleos.  It’s not very accurate, but looks better than nothing at all. I’m happy with it after all IMBM!🧐 (cheers @Col.)

resized_bff12c15-c095-4105-9654-91576d92

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Everything going together well so far?

I think so so is the best answer. Lots of filling and sanding. Nose to wide for the fuse, fuse top and bottom to wide for each other, so lots of glueing bits at a time. But to be fair, it does look like a Bucc. Original plan was to have crew in, canopy open, ready to taxi. Now as intakes are so bad, seams and general inside shape, I will be making some fod guards, closing the canopy and saving the crew for another build. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I think so so is the best answer. Lots of filling and sanding. Nose to wide for the fuse, fuse top and bottom to wide for each other, so lots of glueing bits at a time. But to be fair, it does look like a Bucc. Original plan was to have crew in, canopy open, ready to taxi. Now as intakes are so bad, seams and general inside shape, I will be making some fod guards, closing the canopy and saving the crew for another build. 

That sounds a good compromise. Unfortunate that the kit has given you so much trouble but you have done a grand job of taming it. Hopefully we'll see a better kit of the Bucc in the near future.

1 hour ago, parip said:

Great progress so far!

What is the purpose of the peg in above photo?

Cheers!!!

Rade

Cheers dude. The peg is balance. No not really it’s just acting as another clamp. 

52 minutes ago, Col. said:

Certainly looks like a Buccaneer now :speak_cool:

It certainly does. Primer is now on, time to break out the hairy sticks. Going with a desert wrap a la Red Flag 77, it’s got a bit of everything, stone, dark earth, green, dark grey and sky. What else could you wish for. 😎

• Like 3