1/48 Manchester Propeller

woody37

Hi guys,

Come to assemble the props on the Manchester and noticed that they are too small. The diameter is the same as the Lanc (approx. 80mm) when they should be about 100mm if I've got my calculations right at 16'. Does anyone know where I could get two typhoon 3 bladers from? I can seem to find any ont net. I did think about extending the Lanc ones and reprofiling them, but they turn the opposite way.

Any help appreciated, thanks

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

Hi guys,

Come to assemble the props on the Manchester and noticed that they are too small. The diameter is the same as the Lanc (approx. 80mm) when they should be about 100mm if I've got my calculations right at 16'. Does anyone know where I could get two typhoon 3 bladers from? I can seem to find any ont net. I did think about extending the Lanc ones and reprofiling them, but they turn the opposite way.

Any help appreciated, thanks

The 1/48 Hasegawa Typhoon, kit # 9059, has the option for a three blade prop version. Ultracast makes a resin spinner and four blade Typhoon prop, #48074. Both the three and four blade Typhoon props were 14' in diameter, according to the written sources I was able to find, so they wouldn't work for a Manchester's 16' props. You could take two  Typhoon or Tempest prop blades to make one blade of the correct length, then cast duplicates in resin. I don't think you will be able to find any single-engine aircraft prop blades longer than 14' in diameter, as even the Corsair and Thunderbolt that had 14' props had to go to a gull wing or telescoping gear struts to prevent having to use a stalky landing gear which would impede fuel/gun/ammunition stowage to get the necessary ground clearance. Maybe there's a a multi-engined 1/48 kit that you could rob props from to reshape and reconfigure to the 16' length? But you would have to make sure the rotation was in the correct direction. The B-29 is the only one that comes to mind that would be long enough to rework, if the rotation was correct. Sorry- maybe somebody else can be more helpful.

Mike

• Like 1

Wellington Ic propellers are also too small (also about 80 mm) but they do rotate the right way. I also had a look at the size of a P-38 propeller - the propeller of each engine rotates in the opposite direction so in theory that might have worked but they would also be too small - they're also about the size of a Lancaster propeller. The only other thing I can think of is somehow sourcing a set of Beaufighter propellers - not sure if they have the right shape or size, but they would also rotate in the right direction. Wish I could be more helpful!

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I've come up with an alternative plan, I've ordered some 1/32 spitfire props. The only down side is that they turn in a different direction, but that's a small price to pay for having blades that look the right size. The ones in the set look more like 1/72 so I can use them for the 1/72 one I did as the blades are too small on that.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Woody...funny, just typed out this and you posted the above....

think laterally, is there a 1/32 prop you could use?   The Manchester props were really large items, 

IIRC Aeroclub did some in 72nd,   maybe @John Aero  could add some information on the type fitted?

FWIW,  1/32nd = 3/8th inch to 1ft

16ft in = 1/48th = 4 inch  (4ft to  inch)

4 inch = 32/8ths,   so in 1/32nd you want a 10'8"  prop?  

maybe a 1/32nd Spitfire DH unit could be  used?  

I'm not getting an answer as to the  prop diameter,  google  is saying 10'3" and 10'9"

but

large_000000.jpg

Spitfire1602a.jpg

you still have the rotation problem but maybe easier to reshape what might be a thicker balde to the other aerofoil?

• Like 1

I too need the answer to this one, my Tamiya conversion still needs to be finished after over 25 years on the pile of doom. According to the AP, Manchesters had De Havilland variable pitch Hydromatic D.I.S. 27 type 63's. Left Hand Tractor.

Is there such a thing as a catalogue (ideally illustrated) for propellers? Would 1/48 Mosquito props be in the ballpark? 

Hmm, that's a difficult one.  Merlins, and most US props, turn the other way, and I don't recommend accepting that error.  First thought I had was Beaufighter, but 1/32 is too big (nearly 20' diameter scaled!) and 1/48 too small (12'9").

You'd be looking for 10'8" diameter in a 1/32 kit.

Perhaps you could "stretch" a smaller prop?  My first thought was that a graft approximately mid-blade, though tricky join, might come nearest to the shape you're after.

I'm thinkin', I'm thinkin'...

Edit: One possibility?  Sanger supposedly makes a vac(?) Manchester in 1/48, with metal props (link) - perhaps they'd sell you a couple of props, if theirs are right?  (And now I have ever-so-slightly more hope of making a Manchester, having not bought the Paragon when I had the chance...)

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

You and me both. I started my conversion well before the Paragon was issued, (I won't show you the lump of Milliput so far) I did intend to get one ( I maybe, just might, have the skill to make one engine, but certainly not a matching pair) but just couldn't find the £50 I needed without leaving me short of other kits I also wanted at the time. Worse than that, my library then deleted a book which had my choice subject- an HCU machine with wiggly demarcation on its belly at Winthorpe. Alas I cannot remember its title.  It was one of those war-time reminisces, heavy with text and just a few images.  This was waaaay before scanners. How I wish I had cut the page out!

• Like 1

Hi

Just a random thought would 1:32 P-38 props work ?

i think they both rotated outwards so one might be the right type, i havent got any to check tho' 

cheers 

jerry 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Just a random thought would 1:32 P-38 props work ?

i think they both rotated outwards so one might be the right type, i havent got any to check tho' 

cheers 

jerry 

They'd be slightly too big but could be reduced in size. Grey Matter Figures has them: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GMAJR3217-2-x-P38-LIGHTENING-PROPS-and-HUB-1-32-SCALE-REVELL-TRUMPETER-J-RUTMAN-/222644537745?hash=item33d6a60991

• Like 1

I’m going to live with the props facing the wrong way and use the Spit props. If I can find a better solution I’ll change them in the future but wanting to get it to Huddersfield next weekend and not sure I can stare at it much longer 🤪

thanks for everyones input. It sounds like the typhoon props will be too small but p38 ones would be a good idea apart from buying 4 props to make 2,

i tried making some out of stretched lancaster props, but there’s more to life that spending days on what would be a poor result.

cheers

neil

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

I’m going to live with the props facing the wrong way and use the Spit props. If I can find a better solution I’ll change them in the future but wanting to get it to Huddersfield next weekend and not sure I can stare at it much longer 🤪

thanks for everyones input. It sounds like the typhoon props will be too small but p38 ones would be a good idea apart from buying 4 props to make 2,

i tried making some out of stretched lancaster props, but there’s more to life that spending days on what would be a poor result.

cheers

neil

Neil,

Feather the prop that would be facing the wrong way- wouldn't be as obvious, methinks. Just a suggestion.

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Neil,

Feather the prop that would be facing the wrong way- wouldn't be as obvious, methinks. Just a suggestion.

Mike

Now that’s not a bad idea and will save £10 :)

a feathered prop prop was a familiar sight on a Manchester....when the feathering unit worked!

cheers