My daughter bought me the Weekend 1/72 edition of the Late Spitfire IXc for Christmas.   I really enjoyed building this, the only things that would be worth having from the Profi box are the belts and canopy masks.  All built with Beatties (yes) liquid poly and painted with Tamiya paints using car screen wash as thinners through my H&S Ultra with the .4 needle fitted.  Given the decals took around 3 hours though, "Weekend" was an optimistic hope for me - it actually took January!

The markings are for the B option, MK984 of 308 Squadron flying from B.61 airfield in Belgium at the end of '44.

Cheers Will

2018-02-03_12-37-20

2018-02-03_12-35-59

2018-02-03_12-35-32

2018-02-03_12-32-07

2018-02-03_12-34-18

• Like 32

Quite a neat build and the paint finish looks very sharp. I've often wondered why they used the word "weekend", I thought something like 48 hour edition would be more appropriate. It can then be 48 hours to build but could be spread over a week, few weeks, a few months, shelf of doom... ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Dear Will,

your modell shows, you know the game! Crisp build and a really clean paintjob. Cudos to you. BUT: You have stopped the half way. The decals look like, well, decals. The camouflage looks like painted, ON A MODELL! A few steps like a washing, and a finally clear layer that would blend all together would rise your really nice modell to the next level.

Chears, Taylor

I'm going to disagree with Taylor here: panel line washes aren't necessarily a good thing, often over-emphasising engraved detail to the point where a model looks more like a die-cast than a real aeroplane/tank/truck, etc.  Some panels do bear a little emphasis with a slightly darker hue of the base colour; those that are frequently removed for maintenance or access, for example, but to outline every panel with a dark wash is definitely overkill IMHO.  I would agree with the need for a gloss finish to apply the decals to, followed by a matt, satin or gloss coat to seal everything in before applying any weathering you may wish to.  Once that's done a final clear coat and everything should be done.

Malpaso I'd be more than happy with your Spitfire on my display shelf.

• Like 2

Well, yes I did think maybe some weathering would help. But, that is a very nice finish. I can't believe you used car screen wash fluid! I am trying to do a Spitfire myself, and I wish I could have got half as decent a finish as that. I think I should have masked the pattern, I tried to free hand it but messed up really. That is spot on. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments and likes.  For those wondering about the decals, there were 2 coats of Klear before applying the decals with micro sol and set.  Then another coat of Klear and finally a Windsor &Newton Galleria Matt coat.  Unfortunately a couple of tiny areas of silvering appear on the photos though I can’t see them in real life.  Personally I’m not so keen on the panel line wash look, I was nearly tempted to leave it after the last Klear coat as it looked like a smashing preserved warbird!   Anyway I’m now working on a Mk.I Sunderland which I will try to get to look as knackered as in the famous photo of DA@G.

Cheers Guys,

Will

I'm not a big fan of the panel line wash myself. I was more thinking some exhaust stains and oil leaks etc. But anyway that's just me.

I was hoping you might let on about your camouflage masking method. Masks or blue tac worms?  

Camouflage masking was blu-tack worms infilled with copydex.  Infilling this way is much easier than with tape and weirdly satisfying to peel off!

I will try paper masks sometime.  I don't think there's an easy way to camouflage; aligning all the blu-tack worms to the diagrams takes a while, at least for me.

Cheers

Will

21 minutes ago, malpaso said:

I don't think there's an easy way to camouflage; aligning all the blu-tack worms to the diagrams takes a while...

Yes, I guess you're right. I just need to persevere 

20 hours ago, malpaso said:

Camouflage masking was blu-tack worms infilled with copydex.  Infilling this way is much easier than with tape and weirdly satisfying to peel off!

I will try paper masks sometime.  I don't think there's an easy way to camouflage; aligning all the blu-tack worms to the diagrams takes a while, at least for me.

Cheers

Will

Personally I think you nailed it.

• Thanks 1