This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

limeypilot

An Airfix classic - Let the Battle begin....

I must admit to getting a certain amount of enjoyment when I see lots and lots of non indigenous plastic sprouting on a kit.   

Immaculate work on the aileron areas and wing re-shaping. :thumbsup2:

Clearly you're following in a long tradition of Battle-rubbing...

mid_000000.jpg

Love the way you did those hinges Ian, a tiny little detail that combined with the corrected ailerons will make a huge difference to the finished look - great stuff!

Keith

On 2/22/2018 at 12:19 PM, hendie said:

I must admit to getting a certain amount of enjoyment when I see lots and lots of non indigenous plastic sprouting on a kit.   

Just for you Hendie, more white bits coming up....

Thanks Tony and Keith, it's the little bits that make the difference!

I did try to get some more done today but seem to have spent most of the day looking for/at reference pics and trying to decide how to make up the rear end of the gunner's cockpit. I finally decided on how it should look and went for it, and here are the results...

39553706205_61392dd3e2_k.jpg

38639448090_c85995d024_k.jpg

OK, so they're not curved and aren't drilled with lightening holes, small allowances for the thickness of the kit fuselage....a little more added up front too.

A quick look at the kit bits for the gun cylinder was all I needed to decide that they would not serve any useful purpose

39553705215_dfbbc940ea_k.jpg

so tomorrow I will either work on the cockpit, or try to figure out how to replace those pieces.

Night all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

Nice work Ian, looking spiffing! (A chum has just emailed me a Biggles picture...) :)

The nice side of modelling, is that very different people have fun in different ways.

Some of us are great adapting and painting resin sets, some are wizards with the airbrush, some can handle PE frets as if they were plastic, some can take an old block of plastic and transform it into an accurate kit.

Having seen the changes you did to the original kit and having experienced some real fun detailling my buccaneer, I think we belong to the same group.

You're doing really great!!!

It is shockingly good job. But still you're not the craziest Battle-builder I know. Long time ago in dark commie-Poland '80s my friend has built pretty good Battle heavily modyfying... Polish 1/72 kit of the Il 2m3 Shturmovik!

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Ian, looking spiffing! (A chum has just emailed me a Biggles picture...) :)

What ho old chap!

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work on the wings. Those ribs look rather splendid too. 

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. PE would be a great help on this one!

9 hours ago, massimo said:

The nice side of modelling, is that very different people have fun in different ways.

Some of us are great adapting and painting resin sets, some are wizards with the airbrush, some can handle PE frets as if they were plastic, some can take an old block of plastic and transform it into an accurate kit.

Having seen the changes you did to the original kit and having experienced some real fun detailling my buccaneer, I think we belong to the same group.

You're doing really great!!!

You could be right Massimo, and thanks!

5 hours ago, GrzeM said:

It is shockingly good job. But still you're not the craziest Battle-builder I know. Long time ago in dark commie-Poland '80s my friend has built pretty good Battle heavily modyfying... Polish 1/72 kit of the Il 2m3 Shturmovik!

I'm not even going to attempt to compete with that!

it appears I was a little hasty in dismissing the kit parts for the gun cylinder. I could think of no other way, short of spending all day designing one for Shapeways to print, and I couldn't be bothered to do that. So out came the knives and needle files and a little while later they had been coaxed gently (or not...) into their new life as useful parts.

I'm pretty pleased with how they've turned out to be honest, I didn't think they'd be as easy to do! I narrowed the "closed" side considerably, except for the front 1mm which was larger to seal against the rear of the canopy. The "open" side was narrowed to match and the curve reinstated on both halves, two small bits of .010 x .020 were added to close down the rear opening which should just be a slot for the gun barrel, and the front "notch" was removed. They were then filed out inside with a round needle file.

26593311538_accda371be_k.jpg

40463734561_d117f9a585_k.jpg

A few extra white bits were then randomly thrown at it to liven up the interior a little.

40463733471_761c50ba7a_k.jpg

26593308498_47f89b1c41_k.jpg

I think another coat of interior green is called for next, then I can add the rest of the interior bits. Some of the PE for the Mk1 Hurricane will be used here.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Your work on the interior is second to none, this really is a pigs ear into silk purse exercise!

Roger

Very nice work Ian, lovely job on the mounting :)