An Airfix classic - The Fairey Battle receives some TLC plus 3d printed main gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors.

Brandy

On 2/11/2018 at 9:08 AM, hendie said:

Wow!   I've been following this while on my northern treks. What a project!  

This is the type of project that makes me drool at the mouth - lots of cutting and shutting - loads of problems to solve and issues to deal with. What more could you ask for!

Thanks Hendie, I hope you're enjoying your soujourn "up North". Rather you than me. There certainly is lots of cutting, and there are plenty of problems with this kit but as you say, that's half the fun!

On 2/11/2018 at 5:18 PM, The Spadgent said:

:worthy: wonderful work. Top notch stuff. 

John.

Thanks John. Still plenty to come, I hope it's up to scratch!

Today's update.

I concentrated on the cockpits today. The first job was to finish cleaning up the Falcon canopy so that I could check the fit and make the necessary corrections to the fuselage. The area below the WopAg's cockpit needs to be removed for the canopy to fit, first a test fit to mark it out.

28434563859_2255a36bfb_k.jpg

Then out with the sanding sticks and files to remove the unwanted plastic. Not too difficult a job, and the result looks good.

39502647774_e27324181a_k.jpg

That left me with this

28434562509_712e7cdddb_k.jpg

so more sanding and filing to reduce the cockpit walls to a decent thickness (the pilot's cockpit has already been done in this pic),

and after more plastic dust had been created, (strangely enough, there seems to be a lot of that coming off this kit!) I was left with this

39316171055_ecaf57b923_k.jpg

Sorted! I still need to reduce the opening at the rear of the gunner's cockpit but that can wait a little longer.

That meant I could now start on the interior. The first step there was to hide the mess! I added the big longerons along the sides, which will be joined at the rear to form the curve behind the gunner's station, and once they were dry, I cut and added a couple of blanks to the sides from .010" sheet. The rest of the detail will go on top of that, and floors will hide the bottom. I added a piece of sheet along the join on the wing centre section mainly to give it a little more strength. Small pieces of .020 x .040 rod were also added to the rearmost join for strength as those have cracked a couple of times already and I don't want it opening up later.

25342906207_0ac440fbd9_k.jpg

That's where she sits for tonight.

The CMK Hurricane Mk1 instrument panel fits nicely and matches pretty well to the Battle panel, so that will be used, as will the seat which I have already modified but forgot to take a pic of. Floors next, then some formers need to be added.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 19

On 12/02/2018 at 4:08 AM, hendie said:

What more could you ask for!

A nice fitting kit accurate OOB. :unsure:

Even though it might mean sacrificing Ian's plastic genius, such would be a cross I would willingly carry. :) Sorry Ian.  ;)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Fabulous.  You must be successfully wrestling it into a proper Battle shape, because when you showed us the re-worked nose I instinctively thought "Fulmar" - which was a descendant (albeit not exactly a son!).

• Like 4

On 2/11/2018 at 10:58 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wow that looks very good ... so much so that i now want a battle in my stash. 

Steady mate, careful what you wish for!

On 2/12/2018 at 4:29 PM, keefr22 said:

Excellent progress Ian, really enjoying watching the difference you're making to this old Airfix relic!

Keith

Thanks Keith, it's a challenge, but fun!

On 2/12/2018 at 6:36 PM, DJJunis said:

Ian this is excellent modelling...looking good.

All the Best!

Don

Cheers Don!

On 2/13/2018 at 2:51 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Fabulous.  You must be successfully wrestling it into a proper Battle shape, because when you showed us the re-worked nose I instinctively thought "Fulmar" - which was a descendant (albeit not exactly a son!).

Cheers Crisp! Funnily enough, so did I!  How's the wrist?

On 2/13/2018 at 4:51 AM, DennisTheBear said:

Ahhh, I dream of such skills in model making, I really do.

Well done that man! Carry on. :goodjob:

DennisTheBear

Many thanks Dennis There are many on this forum with far more skill than I, all I do is cut bits of plastic and stick them together! Carrying on, Sir!

The first pic makes up for one I forgot earlier, the seats. I modified the CMK Resin Hurricane Mk1 pilot's seat, and then did the same for the kit gunner's seat with a bit of sanding and a spare piece of PE with a couple of holes drilled in it.

26381997918_b1a81a6d8b_k.jpg

Today it was time to start on the interior. First by adding the bulkheads.

Believe it or not the kit firewall is actually in the correct place, so that was used after cutting the bottom off the lugs for the instrument panel to ensure they don't show, and filling the cutouts at the bottom. The rear cockpit bulkhead was made up from .020" sheet and the bend added at a point level with the upper surface of the wing centre section. The lower section of this bulkhead is actually the front wing spar and this referance point will also provide a mark for the cockpit floor and the rear floors/bomb aimer's position.

Then some of the framework in the pilot's cockpit was added. I didn't add all of it as the upper longitudinal member is hidden under the longeron which has already been added. There was no way I could get a good relative size and still keep it hidden, so it's not there.

Finally up front, the cockpit floor was added, again with a bend, this time just forward of where the control column will be.

40254250541_93712d81a3_k.jpg

Next item on the agenda was the opening for the bomb aimer in the lower surface of the wing centre section. Again .020" sheet, sanded down at the rear so it lays flat on the false floor already added for strength and the cutout added up front. This will fit tight up against the front spar, as shown, but will not be fitted until after I've got some paint on, so that I can be sure there are no bare shadows.

26381999598_2129cdd53d_k.jpg

Finally for today I made the upper surface of the wing centre section, which also contains a cutout for the bomb aimer, and which curves down to meet the rear floor, to be added later.

40254251411_cfe8248597_k.jpg

A little more detail to be added before the first coat of interior paint...

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 19

I'm so impressed by what you're doing with this Ian & despairing of ever getting one of what I said above I dug out an Airfix Battle I had begun to convert to a Fulmar eons ago. I think it was soon after that Vista brought out their Fulmar so this has laguished in the chest of despair ever since. Its pretty far gone but then so is the Airfix kit & what I'd have to do to undo the damage done so far is not so different to what you're doing with this. I've looked at it in another light now, there is hope for it after all. I'll be the one paying extra attention from now on. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2018 at 9:28 PM, stevehnz said:

I'm so impressed by what you're doing with this Ian & despairing of ever getting one of what I said above I dug out an Airfix Battle I had begun to convert to a Fulmar eons ago. I think it was soon after that Vista brought out their Fulmar so this has laguished in the chest of despair ever since. Its pretty far gone but then so is the Airfix kit & what I'd have to do to undo the damage done so far is not so different to what you're doing with this. I've looked at it in another light now, there is hope for it after all. I'll be the one paying extra attention from now on. :)

Steve.

I'm looking forward to seeing it resurrected Steve!

On 2/13/2018 at 11:29 PM, massimo said:

I love the way you've transformmed the profile of this kit and when I see white styrene...I can only be enthousiastic!!!:yahoo:

Great interventions of detailing!!!Those seats look wonderful!!!:yes:

Well done!!!:clap:

Grazie Massimo, although the white styrene is no longer white.......there will, however, be more!

On 2/13/2018 at 11:59 PM, 06/24 said:

Lovely work Ian, can't believe I missed this until now!

Thanks Jon, welcome aboard!

On 2/14/2018 at 12:15 AM, TheBaron said:

Wild clean Fairey kit-skills.

Wonderful progress Ian in that last few updates.

Tony

Messy bouquets, Tony!

On 2/15/2018 at 5:00 PM, The Spadgent said:

Nice internal scratching. 

I didn’t think I was going to say that when I woke up this morning. :blush:

Johnny.:clap2:

I'm SO glad to hear that wasn't on your list when you awoke.......oh, and thanks!

Well, as indicated above, the white is no longer white. I threw some interior green at it today so that I could glue in the wing centre section cutouts. That needed doing before any more detail gets added. I then added the remainder of the floor. It goes a little too far back to be exactly accurate, but I needed it to cover the joins and associated strengthening bits from the surgery.

40291349471_94fd9ed63e_k.jpg

Then I took a look at the rudder.

38481512360_c902df9c48_k.jpg

ah, yes, well.....

I think this is the best fit....

39394003025_a432774785_k.jpg

that way I don't have to add to the top edge, just sand it to the correct shape.

Methinks I have a little sculpting ahead......

38481510860_9307d7ab27_k.jpg

'night all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 19

Irrelevant addiction to that rudder!!!!:rofl:

"I nearly didn't need any filler!":rofl:

Nice colour for the interior...I may suggest my Treasure that shade the next time we paint the kitchen!!!

From these premises we've got great expectations for this kit!

Looking great!!!:clap:

• Like 3

Amazing job Ian,

Way beyond what I would attempt - unless it’s a new tool with a host of aftermarket - I turn my nose up - so total respect for your lovely build. Beautiful, brave and bordering on insanity :P

Guy

• Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 10:53 PM, Stew Dapple said:

I never realised that rudder was so... undernourished. Still, looks like you've got it under control, great progress so far Ian B)

Cheers,

Stew

Positively anorexic, but much healthier now!

On 2/15/2018 at 11:39 PM, massimo said:

Irrelevant addiction to that rudder!!!!:rofl:

"I nearly didn't need any filler!":rofl:

Nice colour for the interior...I may suggest my Treasure that shade the next time we paint the kitchen!!!

From these premises we've got great expectations for this kit!

Looking great!!!:clap:

Well, it is interior green (although not specifically kitchen green), so I don't see why you couldn't get away with it..

I hope i can live up to the expectations Massimo, thanks!

On 2/16/2018 at 1:59 AM, Courageous said:

With that amount of plastic being added to kit rudder, I'd thought you'd just scratch build one. :whistle:

Stuart

A ) That would be far too obvious

B ) My mother was a Scot, and it was a perfect excuse to use up a load of styrene offcuts! 

On 2/16/2018 at 2:37 AM, Gisbod said:

Amazing job Ian,

Way beyond what I would attempt - unless it’s a new tool with a host of aftermarket - I turn my nose up - so total respect for your lovely build. Beautiful, brave and bordering on insanity :P

Guy

Thanks Guy,  I have a stash full of great kits, but it's the crappy ones that get the attention. Perverse.....

On 2/16/2018 at 2:48 AM, Hamden said:

That rudder was surely anorexic but is well on the way to recovery, Great work on the interior as well

Roger

Thanks Roger, it is almost fully recovered now and looking far healthier!

Well, what have I been up to lately.... (someone must be able to help me here...?) Oh yes, wings!

After getting the fuselage basics sorted out, I finished off the rudder.

39613932174_a27d40a9c6_k.jpg

Much better!

I then returned to the wings. They were glued together, totally forgetting that I had wanted to get the undercarriage basics sorted and in place first, and also make up a cover for the join where it shows in the wheel wells. :rage:

So I smeared some PPP in the join in the hope that that would sort it out. Rethink in progress on the landing gear fitment.

Then on to the last of the major corrections. I added some plugs to the landing light cutouts to fill those, then sanded them to shape....

38516074050_b377472753_k.jpg

They were then recut in the correct places!

38516071400_1f745dcd0e_k.jpg

Still a little rough, but they'll be lined with thin sheet before they're finished.

The wingtips weren't right (surprise!) so they were marked up and sanded to the correct shape.

39613930234_2c9965f576_k.jpg

I need to widen the chord which means adding plastic to the rear of that curve, so the easy way out here was to sand the rear edge flat to give me a straight surface to glue on a piece of styrene. That will be sanded to shape when dry. Far easier than trying to stick a piece of styrene on to a curved edge!

With the trailing edge needing to be moved back, the aileron cutouts also need moving. I wanted to ensure that the wing to aileron join was dead straight, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to do it by sanding. My solution was to fit one piece straight across as the hinge line, and add small filler pieces of varying thickness between it and the rear of the existing wing. It won't be load bearing, so any small gaps here can be filled.

I first shaped the existing cutout to accept a piece of .040 x .156 strip as the spar piece. Then I slipped smaller pieces in to find out what sizes fitted. They were then glued in and I used a metal rule to make sure that the spar piece would fit without bowing in the middle.

Here are the spacer pieces glued on

39613936474_a62e4006e7_k.jpg

and then the spar piece was added

38516081140_9d68e2c109_k.jpg

Nice and straight!

The last part was the correction for the rear of the tips, and a strip of .040 x .060 on the inner trailing edges. That piece is going to be sanded down almost completely at the inner end as the wing is actually correct at that point - I suppose something had to be right somewhere!

38516084960_959d35d7d3_k.jpg

39613934294_ae7406cbc2_k.jpg

The final major correction in the wing area was to the centre section. It is actually too narrow...

38516076940_de96861744_k.jpg

Difficult to show it properly due to the angle of the camera, but sections of .040 strip on each side widen it to the correct dimensions. They have been added and will be sanded down tomorrow. 

Oh goody, more sanding! :yawn:

Have a good night all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
Missed a pic!
  • Like 21

Just fallen over this thread - brilliant stuff! You'll end up with a model of a Battle eventually!

I have two Airfix kits in the stash; one is in the process of being converted to a Twin Battle whiffer, the other's set aside to build a RAAF trainer. The Twin has been languishing for want of inspiration to take things further; this thread has certainly provided that! I'll be tagging along and taking copious notes!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I have a stash full of great kits, but it's the crappy ones that get the attention. Perverse.....

lets be honest... I'll bet you're having more fun with this Battle than you would with any modern shake and bake kit.

There's some really nice scratch building taking place here with some novel approaches.  I particularly like the 'how to move ailerons back a tad' method. Simple yet effective.

• Like 2