An Airfix classic - The Fairey Battle receives some TLC plus 3d printed main gear, bomb racks, and bomb doors.

Brandy

On 2/22/2018 at 11:19 AM, hendie said:

I must admit to getting a certain amount of enjoyment when I see lots and lots of non indigenous plastic sprouting on a kit.   

Just for you Hendie, more white bits coming up....

Thanks Tony and Keith, it's the little bits that make the difference!

I did try to get some more done today but seem to have spent most of the day looking for/at reference pics and trying to decide how to make up the rear end of the gunner's cockpit. I finally decided on how it should look and went for it, and here are the results...

39553706205_61392dd3e2_k.jpg

38639448090_c85995d024_k.jpg

OK, so they're not curved and aren't drilled with lightening holes, small allowances for the thickness of the kit fuselage....a little more added up front too.

A quick look at the kit bits for the gun cylinder was all I needed to decide that they would not serve any useful purpose

39553705215_dfbbc940ea_k.jpg

so tomorrow I will either work on the cockpit, or try to figure out how to replace those pieces.

Night all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 21

The nice side of modelling, is that very different people have fun in different ways.

Some of us are great adapting and painting resin sets, some are wizards with the airbrush, some can handle PE frets as if they were plastic, some can take an old block of plastic and transform it into an accurate kit.

Having seen the changes you did to the original kit and having experienced some real fun detailling my buccaneer, I think we belong to the same group.

You're doing really great!!!

• Like 3

It is shockingly good job. But still you're not the craziest Battle-builder I know. Long time ago in dark commie-Poland '80s my friend has built pretty good Battle heavily modyfying... Polish 1/72 kit of the Il 2m3 Shturmovik!

• Like 3

On 2/24/2018 at 12:12 AM, CedB said:

Nice work Ian, looking spiffing! (A chum has just emailed me a Biggles picture...) :)

What ho old chap!

On 2/24/2018 at 5:41 AM, The Spadgent said:

Great work on the wings. Those ribs look rather splendid too. 

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. PE would be a great help on this one!

On 2/24/2018 at 6:17 AM, massimo said:

The nice side of modelling, is that very different people have fun in different ways.

Some of us are great adapting and painting resin sets, some are wizards with the airbrush, some can handle PE frets as if they were plastic, some can take an old block of plastic and transform it into an accurate kit.

Having seen the changes you did to the original kit and having experienced some real fun detailling my buccaneer, I think we belong to the same group.

You're doing really great!!!

You could be right Massimo, and thanks!

On 2/24/2018 at 10:26 AM, GrzeM said:

It is shockingly good job. But still you're not the craziest Battle-builder I know. Long time ago in dark commie-Poland '80s my friend has built pretty good Battle heavily modyfying... Polish 1/72 kit of the Il 2m3 Shturmovik!

I'm not even going to attempt to compete with that!

It appears I was a little hasty in dismissing the kit parts for the gun cylinder. I could think of no other way, short of spending all day designing one for Shapeways to print, and I couldn't be bothered to do that. So out came the knives and needle files and a little while later they had been coaxed gently (or not...) into their new life as useful parts.

I'm pretty pleased with how they've turned out to be honest, I didn't think they'd be as easy to do! I narrowed the "closed" side considerably, except for the front 1mm which was larger to seal against the rear of the canopy. The "open" side was narrowed to match and the curve reinstated on both halves, two small bits of .010 x .020 were added to close down the rear opening which should just be a slot for the gun barrel, and the front "notch" was removed. They were then filed out inside with a round needle file.

26593311538_accda371be_k.jpg

40463734561_d117f9a585_k.jpg

A few extra white bits were then randomly thrown at it to liven up the interior a little.

40463733471_761c50ba7a_k.jpg

26593308498_47f89b1c41_k.jpg

I think another coat of interior green is called for next, then I can add the rest of the interior bits. Some of the PE for the Mk1 Hurricane will be used here.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 25

Just caught up Ian. Thoroughly enjoyable read over a nice hot cup of strong tea, couple of boiled eggs and some marmite soldiers. :smile:

What can I say about the build? Truly stunning, informative with some cracking skills on display and techniques. I could go on. Glad there's still a lot of action to come.

Just thought I'd repost this shot. Even at this stage it is coming to life, showing off its wonderful form.

39632613264_c3a95323cb_k.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Your work on the interior is second to none, this really is a pigs ear into silk purse exercise!

Roger

Much appreciated Roger, thanks!

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Any help with structural checks Ian?

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/battle/battle.htm

Tony, you're a star! Some of those pics of the rear cockpit are exactly what I've been looking for. Now I'll have to rework some parts, but at least it will be correct!

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

More brilliant work from you Ian :yes:. Shouldn't be too long before you close up :whistle:.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart! A little reworking to be done now, but certainly not too far off.

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice work Ian, lovely job on the mounting :)

Thanks Ced. I must admit to being "pretty chuffed" over how that came out!

3 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Just caught up Ian. Thoroughly enjoyable read over a nice hot cup of strong tea, couple of boiled eggs and some marmite soldiers. :smile:

What can I say about the build? Truly stunning, informative with some cracking skills on display and techniques. I could go on. Glad there's still a lot of action to come.

Just thought I'd repost this shot. Even at this stage it is coming to life, showing off its wonderful form.

39632613264_c3a95323cb_k.jpg

Thanks Tomo, sounds as though you're enjoying this as much as I am!

and on that note, thanks again all, I'm off back to the bench!

Ian

• Like 7

On 2/20/2018 at 5:59 PM, stever219 said:

Ian Huntley apparently wrote a strongly-worded note to all concerned at Fairey’s that any similar requests received in future should be dealt with by the Technical Publications department but, as far as I know, Airfix have never kitted another Fairey aeroplane (I think the Firefly pre-dates the Battle and has its own issues, and the Fulmar was another manufacturer’s tooling).

Swordfish (twice), Rotodyne were the other Fairey Aircraft kitted by Airfix. The BN Islander sort of counts too as Britten-Norman was owned by Fairey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Swordfish (twice), Rotodyne were the other Fairey Aircraft kitted by Airfix. The BN Islander sort of counts too as Britten-Norman was owned by Fairey.

Sadly I suspect that the second Swordfish did not involve any contact with Fairey’s themselves (aren’t they now part of GKN who themselves are part of someone else?) but rather relied on FAAM and RNHF.  I’ll need to dig into my references to see if the original Swordfish kit pre-dates the Battle.

• Like 1

Just realised you might not have access to The SAM Publications Aviation Guide No1 by Ian D Huntley,loads of internal photos and sketches from one who seemed to know his onions regarding Fairey aircraft.

Cracking shunt job on the fuse and mainplane mods.

Box on

Strickers

• Like 1

On 2/25/2018 at 1:41 PM, HAMP man said:

Just realised you might not have access to The SAM Publications Aviation Guide No1 by Ian D Huntley,loads of internal photos and sketches from one who seemed to know his onions regarding Fairey aircraft.

Cracking shunt job on the fuse and mainplane mods.

Box on

Strickers

Thanks Strickers, I do in fact have that book and it's been my main reference so far, but the pics on the link Tony gave lend a new perspective which makes it much easier to understand what I was seeing at the back as all the shots in that book are from the inside.

Well folks, today was a very productive day - thanks again for that link Tony!

I had spotted at the end of play yesterday that the upper decking between the cockpits extended too far back on the kit, and should finish level with the canopy frame by the aerial, so that was cut back. That also meant that the main rib I'd used for reference was also in the wrong place. Then after seeing the pics of the interior from the outside it was clear that I'd miscounted the ribs in the fuselage, so I pulled those out and started again. I left those in front of the main rib as they will barely be visible and the number is still correct.

So, the first job of the day half completed - the left side.

25614195407_da6c8455b9_k.jpg

The ribbing is .010" plastic rod cut into very small pieces.  Lots of them! :drunk:

In comparing the pics you'll see that the ribs are now spaced further apart. There are now only 4 instead of 6 in between the structural brace at the rear, and the rear end of the upper decking. It also means that the gubbins I've stuck on the side are further forward, which better matches the pics in Ian Huntley's book.

The right side was done to match.

That left the one part that I hadn't been able to figure out until seeing the pics on the link: How the front end of the gunner's cockpit was set up. 

Now I could make up some stencils from paper, and after a lot of trial and error, they were transferred to 020" sheet and it was cut out and bent to shape. Here's how it looks in situ.

25614193887_918cb7fed8_k.jpg

And with the fuselage together.

25614192367_baecdf1f05_k.jpg

Unfortunately I noticed too late that the longeron I've placed below the edge of the gunner's cockpit should be higher and level with the edge of the cutout. ie level with the bottom of the small windows at the sides. I'm definitely not going to rip it all out again, so that will stay as is, it's not a huge error and apart from you lot, most likely no-one will ever notice! 

So here's where it sits at close of play today.

40442245642_7e6e8cd18d_k.jpg

That's it for today as I have an early start tomorrow and I need a beer!

Night all!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 21

Good corrective action there Ian, doing well :yes:.

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

apart from you lot, most likely no-one will ever notice! 

If you hadn't have said anything, I don't think ANYBODY would've noticed, let alone said anything.

Stuart

• Like 1

I wasn't sure, but I thought that the level of detailing must have had something to do with the Aviation Guide.

Exquisite details, well jell of the skills on show.

Box On

Strickers

• Like 1

Thanks Stuart and Strickers, today's update..

One of the pics shows what looks like a seat for the bomb aimer just inside the covered portion of the fuselage, and with no other clues as to where the bomb aimer sat when not doing his thing, I decided to add the seat. I found something close in my spares box then took the files to it to thin and reshape it.

This is what will go in the fuselage.

40508501111_e728a0da9c_k.jpg

I also needed to make what I assume is a rack for a parachute. This is what I started with.

40508495431_3aa30e21e1_k.jpg

I drilled a hole through it, chamfered the corner, and chopped it off the block. A saw cut underneath was enlarged with a a needle file, then it was sanded down  to the correct length and I had this.

40508496281_ebccbf3442_k.jpg

I did take other pics to help explain the process, but my phone ate them. Anyway, this is what it looks like in place.

40508495921_ca286702a9_k.jpg

After that everything got a coat of interior green in an attempt to reduce my white bits...

39613308945_f8e95ccdbb_z.jpg

Last up for today was the instrument panel. I took the resin one from the Hurricane set and test fitted it, which showed it to be pretty close, so I cut a plastic replacement just slightly wider at the shoulders, and included the extensions at the lower corners.

A piece of offcut PE and a slice of 2mm rod for the compass and I had the basic panel sorted.

40508498051_e394e0e57e_z.jpg

All needed then was a coat of semi gloss black around the edges, and the PE panel parts glued on. They needed a very slight filing on the lower edges to reduce them slightly to match the width of the new panel, and we now have a very serviceable instrument panel. I also added a couple of strips of plastic to the back to give a little more strength when glued in place.

40508497011_911bb00bcb_k.jpg

That's it for tonight, see you all soon!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 24

I don’t believe I’m commented yet (apologies still recovering from illness), however this build ticks all the boxes for me and is just brilliant. Should we be blessed with a proper new tool Battle kit in 2019, then we really all need to chip in and buy Ian at least a couple of these - he would have done us all a huge favour! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2