UH-1Y 'Venom' Colour and Panelline Wash

GazB

So I've got the Kitty Hawk UH-1Y 'Venom' in my pile to do, and after hearing that the suggested colours in the instructions were incorrect, picked up the Mig Ammo USN 80s to Present set (I'm really hoping these pay off, because I haven't used Mig Ammo paints before). I'm wondering what combo to use of the paints included. Light Compass Ghost Grey will probably be the main colour, but the darker hue I'm pondering whether to use the Blue Grey, or Dark Compass Ghost Gray.

Also, I'm not quite sure what kind of panel line wash to apply over an aircraft with this colour scheme. I have Mig neutral wash, Dark wash for NATO tanks, and US Desert vehicles wash currently, but none of these are probably suitable for ana ctive aircraft (Desert wash is good for making things look old, though). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gaz

Hello Gaz ... My best offer is to go with the Blue grey. You could always take a piece of scrap and paint it Lt. Ghost grey. Then spray or brush the other two colors as a test pattern ? For the wash id use the desert wash. It will be closer to the salt spray seen at sea than a darker wash. Id use both washes in the cockpit dark then light. And the dark one on walks engine panels and similar areas to represent crew use, maintenance wear/tear, and fluid leaks. I hope this helps. 

Dennis

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Gaz ... My best offer is to go with the Blue grey. You could always take a piece of scrap and paint it Lt. Ghost grey. Then spray or brush the other two colors as a test pattern ? For the wash id use the desert wash. It will be closer to the salt spray seen at sea than a darker wash. Id use both washes in the cockpit dark then light. And the dark one on walks engine panels and similar areas to represent crew use, maintenance wear/tear, and fluid leaks. I hope this helps. 

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis ^-^

Could you recommend any additional washes that might work for a grey colour scheme?

Gaz

• Like 1

Hello Gaz ... I would possibly recommend a mid brown wash. It might help look more like grime and fluid. Of course I’d study some photo’s to get the location and pattern of the grime to look correct. Don't forget the sooty buildup behind the exhausts on the fuselage and tailboom. If you use pastels that can be built up gradually using greys, browns, and black. If you're not familiar with pastelsi’d practice with them on scrap before you commit to doing it on the model. Most importantly and the last thing to remember, is less is more when it comes to weathering. You can always add more, but its hard to take too much off. Build everything up gradually. 

Dennis

• Like 1

On 03/02/2018 at 8:13 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Gaz ... I would possibly recommend a mid brown wash. It might help look more like grime and fluid. Of course I’d study some photo’s to get the location and pattern of the grime to look correct. Don't forget the sooty buildup behind the exhausts on the fuselage and tailboom. If you use pastels that can be built up gradually using greys, browns, and black. If you're not familiar with pastelsi’d practice with them on scrap before you commit to doing it on the model. Most importantly and the last thing to remember, is less is more when it comes to weathering. You can always add more, but its hard to take too much off. Build everything up gradually. 

Dennis

Thanks again, Dennis :)

Gaz

• Like 1