Dysoe Leader, Tally Ho.....

What a spectacular result.

May I ask exactly what kind of clear rod was used for this effort?

Does the rod protrude into the aircraft or is a pin used for that?

Again, a spectacular outcome!

Michael

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Michael51 said:

What a spectacular result.

May I ask exactly what kind of clear rod was used for this effort?

Does the rod protrude into the aircraft or is a pin used for that?

Again, a spectacular outcome!

Michael

Michael, the rod is clear acrylic which you can obtain from a number of suppliers, (mine was from eBay).

This rod was 4mm x 300mm for the 1/72 Spitfire`s and I very carefully drilled the holes into the model once the main build was completed by prior to painting.

Hope that answers your questions?

Again, thanks all for the kind comments.

tc

• Like 1

Great build and display!

Out of some interest in 74 Sqn, having made Mungo Park's Spitfire MkIIa in which he jointly claimed Biggin's 600th with Harborne Stephen, have you depicted a particular flight with known pilots and aircraft serials or gone for something more generic?  Just asking as you've changed the roundel sizes a bit and underside colours on them, so was wondering what source info you had used. The Sqn ORB?  If you have depicted a flight it would be interesting to know more about the possible action depicted...

Thanks

Nick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NG899 said:

Great build and display!

Out of some interest in 74 Sqn, having made Mungo Park's Spitfire MkIIa in which he jointly claimed Biggin's 600th with Harborne Stephen, have you depicted a particular flight with known pilots and aircraft serials or gone for something more generic?  Just asking as you've changed the roundel sizes a bit and underside colours on them, so was wondering what source info you had used. The Sqn ORB?  If you have depicted a flight it would be interesting to know more about the possible action depicted...

Thanks

Nick

No particular action Nick, I just used codes that are known to have been used on aircraft at the time. Luckily it is documented that serial numbers were painted over for a short time so that saved me a little bit of extra research. :D  Malan is well known to have flown `A` a number of times and regarded it as his personal mount, although other senior pilots did fly it on occasion IIRC.

Well done, your the first to notice the roundel size isn`t completely accurate and the Sqn used the 35 inch size which was the size below the one`s depicted here. This build was on a tight budget so used the kit`s roundels to keep the cost down. Happy to hold my hands up to that one. :D

By August 1940, 74`s Spitfire undersides had been changed from the black/white to Sky, so again, this is a little open to interpretation by the viewer. 

Thanks again all for the great feedback.

Awesome idea, love the spitfires rolling in, reminds me of that evocative scene from the Battle of Britain when Pinetree roll in on Stukas over Dover!

Rich

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Looks really cool - now 2 - 3 1/144 Heinkels placed right and you have the perfect Bob scene.

Cheers,

Michael

1/144...??? you trying to make me go blind....?? :D

• 2 weeks later...