"Like" broken (and other, like, things...)

Good evening

Since last night I find that I can no longer do a "like" on other members' posts. I was thinking that perhaps it is an issue with my personal system (both Firefox and Chrome on MacOS High Sierra) but then saw that my work machine which is running KDE on Ubuntu 17.10 is having the same issue (again, Firefox + Chrome doing the same). An error message pops up - "Sorry, there was a problem reacting to this content." My assumption is that it is something server-side and hopefully not permanent... Or perhaps Bill gates is having his revenge?

• Like 4

Thanks guys. Truly strange. I'll wipe my cache & cookies completely and see if it makes a difference... Logically I don't expect it to, but you never know (still not working ATM for me).

1 hour ago, bhouse said:

Hmm. Likes still work for me. Can you see my like in your post?

Yes, perfect (all of them). Must be Karma for being... (oops, I almost said something counter-culture).

• Like 1

Did you do the clearing of the cache etc?  I know it might sound silly, but make sure you're logged in when you try to like.  It's the kind of daft thing we all do from time to time ;)

From what I know there are quite a lot of folks on the forum that run Linux distros, and even more that run Android, which is based on Linux, so I doubt it's a Linux thing.  Try giving this post a Like, and if it shows the errors, can you PM me a copy of a screenshot, or email it to me from the Contact Us link that's at the bottom of this page?  That'll help me to diagnose it or kick it upstairs to Support.  If you can leave the whole browser window in the screenshot, that would be more use, and just blur out any personal info that you don't want our Support to see :)

Hi Mike

Thank you for taking the time to look into this - BUT...  My work laptop (also running KDE / Ubuntu + Chrome) works perfectly fine, so I checked my personal machine again (iMac Retina + MacOS High Sierra + Chrome = FAIL) however Vivaldi browser works great, and not only that but images that I post shows up as an embedded image (which also stopped working in Chrome but in Vivaldi seems to work - Ju 87B-2 below should show up for example?)

...So basically I'm saying it MUST be a local Client / Cookie issue.  Thank you again for the advice, Mike.

EDIT: Nope, cleaned my cache and cookies all the way back to when General Electric was still only a sergeant... Made no difference. 

puN2vc.jpg

Edited by jannie
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

My 'Likes' are broken too. I get 'Sorry there was a problem reacting to this content'

That's exactly the same error I am getting in Chrome - even after blowing away all my cached data and cookies going back to the Beginning of Time. It was working perfectly fine still until day b4 yesterday (Jan. 31, 2018). Very strange indeed. And same O/S + Chrome works fine on my laptop (but is running via VPN through my company network, so to Britmodeller it would appear that I'm on a different IP address and a different geographical location (and different ISP too). At this point I guess I'll just carefully back out of the room and never use Chrome on my iMac again (for Britmodeller that is).

24 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Nice Stuka though... :goodjob:

Thanks, Big X - much appreciated. 

EDIT:

I still can't "Like" your comment though! :rage: 

Edited by jannie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jannie said:

Thanks, Big X - much appreciated. 

EDIT:

I still can't "Like" your comment though! :rage: 

No worries - I'll like some of yours ;)

...just a thought - if I'm not wrong - and I usually am...

if you don't have the gold brick in your profile then 'likes' are limited to 50 per day - I think :shrug:

...could that be the issue :shrug:

Heck, I'm one of those lazy buggers who 1/2 the time forget to do a "like"... If I have ever done it more than 10 times in one day I'd be surprised. Good idea tho and I'll keep that in mind for future reference :D 

• Like 1

:( Well - Vivaldi still works, and Chrome (even after clearing cache etc and killing all cookies) is still broken. I have no explanation as it used to work fine until last week. I did update my Java installation late last week which may or may not mean that Javascript (I'm assuming that when you hit "Like" it runs a small Javascript applet locally) now uses a different install than what it was using till then... But then it should be broken in Vivaldi as well I would have thought.

I had a minor problem this morning. I got the following message:

aa835c66-551b-4fbf-a15c-9b9474830a2b.png

I'm pretty sure I hadn't used more than a dozen 'likes' so there is now way I over reacted (other than saying WTF). Logging off, clearing cache and logging back in seems to have sorted the issue. Not had that happen before.

There is a limit, and I think it's 75 IIRC.  I guess it depends on when you start the day.  Maybe you'd been too generous the night before & the clock hadn't yet ticked over? :shrug:  I'm not sure, but there might also be a limit to how many Likes you can give out quickly.  I'd have to check that, as I'm just basing that on my usually awful memory :hmmm:

BTW - Frank's problem was caused by one of the Add-Ins (Plug-Ins) that he'd installed.  If you're having trouble with site features and seem to be either alone, or in a small minority, just disable all your plug-ins, restart your browser, and see if your problem goes away.  Then add them back in one-by-one and see when the issues come back.  Frank found out that a rather ironically named "Performance Booster" add-in was causing his issues, and when he switched that off, he was back with us and able to do all the things he'd been prevented from doing before :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mike I havent installed any performance booster, (get me any more performance and I'd pop me clogs I fear) but I am getting the pop up that stops me 'liking' stuff as well

It is also stopping me from moving forwards or backwards a page within a thread and is becoming very tedious

This computer is running Firefox in Win 10

And frankly trying to work inside the innards of W10 scares the pants off me, none of its file systems work how I like it

I have a couple of Android driven tablets that work in here properly and the Win10 system tests the mouse as 'working properly'

Advice please