HMS Victorious as in 1966

Some interesting responses there, I just hope it will be worth your time following this.  At least I shall have a good try at this.

I think I have done enough on the drawing to at least print off the diagram at the waterline level (will have to do it all over again for the other five deck levels, including the flight deck, at some stage in the future).

The cross section frames, as show at the bottom of post #23, have been separated out and an example of some are shown below:

hms_victorious_example_cross-section_fra

The plan at the waterline level has had to be printed on three sheets of A4 paper, and then pasted together to make a 1:350 scale plan:

victorious_drawings_10_waterline_printou

As can be seen in the image below, the kit needs to grow substantially to get from 1:400 to 1:350 scale.

victorious_drawings_11_waterline_with_ki

I intend to cut the kit at various points, in line with some of the cross-section pieces, and they should help me to extend and widen the hull to the correct shape etc.  Well, that's the plan :giggle: so it's just a (simple) case of marking up the hull and start cutting. :analintruder:

Mike

• Like 3

In order to know where to cut, I needed to make another plan but this time re-scaled to 1:400.  Once printed, the hull could be placed onto it so that I could mark out the 22 cross-section frames locations.victorious_drawings_12_400_scale_for_mar

By doing that, I will be able to relate the areas to cut when the hull is placed on the larger 1:350 scale plan.

I've started some cutting..........  Coming along nicely!   I have heard that some modellers have binned kits in a better condition than this!

victorious_drawings_15_cut_hull_pieces.j

I had better rename the title for this build, now that I've actually started on the kit; so watch out for a name change.

cheers

Mike

• Like 9

When you have to label hull parts “port” and “starboard”, you are clearly cutting them into unrecognisable pieces!  You’re a brave man, but this is rivetting...

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 1

Rivetting?

I bet he uses glue like everybody else BUT you Crisp

Mike is it all right if I watch and keep me gob shut?

I will enjoy this

Although I am miles outside my knowledge zone, you will not be making me a nauticalist just acos I'm making naval 'planes just now

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A fair bit of time, over the last couple of weeks, has been taken up with making up the drawings for this, plus involvement in a couple of GB's, but I now have something to show.

This drawing shows the quarterdeck area of the Hangar Deck.  I need to build this deck in order to identify which parts of the kit's hull can be used, and where they would be positioned:

victorious_drawings_16_quarterdeck_drawi

I think there is enough detail on there and so I can cut the deck. White plastic can be a problem to photograph, I'm only using my phone's camera for this, and so it doesn't show up too well:

victorious_drawings_17_hangar_deck_cut1.

A method I use to overcome this is to give the plastic a coat of either primer or a wash.  This improves the viewing of images:

victorious_drawings_18_hangar_deck_cut2.

Then I lightly sand back the primer or wash and this leaves clear demarcation lines which show the locations of the hangar and office spaces buikheads:

victorious_drawings_19_hangar_deck_cut3.

I shall continue with the drawings, for the other decks, plus cut out the deck at waterline level and also the 'tween deck buikheads.  HopefullyI shall be able to give another update in the near future.

cheers

Mike

• Like 8

The next piece of work is to build the lower deck areas.  This will be the shell to give support where the kit parts will be fitted to.

The deck at the waterline level has been cut out and I have started fitting the section frames.  The hangar deck pieces have been cut out, with the forward half still requiring to be cleaned up, primed and sanded back.

victorious_drawings_20_waterline_and_han

Once the sanding has been done, the two deck pieces will be joined together and secured onto the frames.  Following that, the kit's hull pieces will be attached to the scratchbuilt frame and filed to fit etc.  Then I shall be able to build the bulkheads for the hangar sides and office spaces, the locations can be seen marked out ready.

Mike

• Like 8

I've been struggling with this over the weekend, mainly on trying to get the kit hull pieces to fit to the new deck pieces; the main problem being the thickness of the kit hull. Plus the carpet monster has had the starboard quarter away!  In some areas it is about 1mm but in others it's as much as 3mm.  To attach those parts correctly, I would need to shave off varying degrees of width on the model and that wouldn't look right when finished.

victorious_drawings_21_kit_added.jpg

I think I am going to have to admit defeat and bow to the observation by  @Bandsaw Steve and make this a complete scratchbuild;  sorry to disappoint those who have been following ths with a view to seeing the Heller kit converted to 1:350. 

Having bitten the bullet on this, I can now move on with the scratchbuilding.  Here, the waterline and hangar decks have been cut out, ready to attach.  The base of the aft lift-well has been cut and the lift bottom put in place.  The lift itself has been placed alongside and will be positioned later, after the lift-well has been painted.

victorious_drawings_22_start_of_scratchb

The intention will be to build the model as at flying stations, which will entail the forward lift being up at flight-deck level (so as not to impede the catapult launch area) and the aft lift partially raised with an aircraft being brought up to readiness.  Three more decks need to be constructed next;  The Lower and Upper Gallery decks and then the Flight Deck.

Thanks for looking and I hope you will continue to drop by to see how I get on with this re-themed build.

Mike

• Like 12

Time for a bit of an update.  The hangar deck has been glued to the waterline deck below and given a coat of light and dark grey, mainly to show the detail as white plastic doesn't photograph well.  The deck was also given a coat of Humbrol Clear but I'm not happy with the result, the problem seems to be that it is not self-levelling like the old Klear and this has left the surface all blotchy.  I shall need to give the deck a sanding with wet 'n dry when it has dried fully.

victorious_drawings_24_hangar_deck_humbr

Here is a close in view, showing the planking on the quarterdeck and the marked areas for the deck fittings.  The 'striped' areas, in the Hangar section, are the placement markings of where to place the bulkheads once I've drawn and cut them out.

victorious_drawings_25_quarterdeck_humbr

Now that this has become a complete scratchbuild, the next stage is to produce the Lower Gallery Deck (LGD) which is the next deck up.  These pieces are to A4 size and so I have to cut them in three parts and then join them together. They have been given a wash of black and then cleaned back to show the demarcations for bulkhead and fittings placements.

victorious_drawings_27_lower_gallery_dec

The Cable Deck is at the front of the LGD and the view below shows the drawing details for this section

victorious_drawings_26_cable_deck_drawin

Here is another close in view, this time it is of the cable deck on the cut out deck piece. All the placements for the deck fittings are marked on the deck; note the anchor chain (cables) have been scribed onto the running plates and this gives the chains a raised effect. 

The benefit of this is that I won't have to go looking for scale chain, I will just need to paint the chain effect to the correct colours.

victorious_drawings_29_lower_cable_deck_

That's it for the moment;  work on restoring the Hangar deck, adding the bulwarks, then putting the LGD together will take up the next day or so.

Thanks for looking

Mike

• Like 8

All the decks have now been detailed and cut out as can be seen below.  In the background, the cross-section frames have been cut and are being prepared for fitting to the decks.

I'm going to need a bigger workspace!

victorious_drawings_30_all_decks_cut.jpg

Or downsize.....

victorious_drawings_31_all_decks_and_120

Next job is to produce and cut all the bulkheads (walls) for each deck, plus add doors and hatches before they are fitted to the various decks.  I hope to get more done in the next couple of days and post some updated images.

Mike

• Like 6

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone,

I thought that it is high time that I revisited this build but I just can't believe how long it has been since I did any work on it!   A couple of holidays, a flood, loss of mojo; and then a desire to do something different as all taken their toll of this build.

I have dusted it off and added a few upright supports on the second deck. so just a few more tweaks and I should be able to fit the flight deck.

victorious_drawings_32_update.jpg

After that, I shall spend some time plating the hull; using 10 thou (0.5mm) styrene sheet, followed by populating the various gun and boat decks with their equipment.  I still need to draw and cut the pieces for the island, masts and radar, but that will probably be low priority for the moment.

cheers

Mike

• Like 4