HMS Victorious as in 1966

This build has changed, instead of it being a conversion of the Heller kit the plan will be to scratchbuild the model without using any parts of the kit.

On the real rebuild of HMS Victorious, from wartime fleet carrier to a modern angled-deck carrier of the jet age, the whole ship was completely cut down from the flight deck to the hangar deck.  

More to follow in due course, unless my medications run out! :tired:

Mike

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

.......... wont everything else be out, like hatches and openings

Thanks Kevin.  I've already mentioned that in the preamble mate.  The main areas of concern will be the bow and stern areas, especially as I have added a 10mm strip right down the whole length.  This will mean the bow will not meet at a sharp stem.  The thinking is to fill the bow and stern with Milliput and then shave the plastic, and Milliput, down to match the correct hull line.  Probably something similar for any side undulation.  Who knows?  It is early days yet.

Mike

• Like 1

Blimey that's an ambitious project wish you best of luck with it I once cut a 1/16 bull dozer down to 1/24 for a dio and the knock on effects made for a lot of head scratching that was a piece of cake compared to this.

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Dare I suggest it would be easier to scratchbuild. 

True,  I like to scratchbuild ships and I have a couple on the go at the moment; however, I would still have this bashed up kit that needs something doing to it.

Mike

Thanks guys.  I am going to spend a little time gathering data and transferring it into a suitable set of drawings to work from.  I do have the Anatomy of the Ship book "Victorious" which is full of plans.  The plans are a bit erratic in that they have been printed to a variety of scales, mostly between 1:200 and 1:550; so the relevant diagrams and measurements need bringing together into a single scale drawing and this will take a bit of time.  Then I should be able to do some hacking and slashing with glee.

I've also got to fit in a few GB's around this build.

Mike

• Like 2

I have a feeling that, by the time I have finished cutting pieces away, this will be more like a scratchbuild;  there will probably only be section Mike, four deck and below left of the original.  Everything from the hangar deck upwards will have to be replaced with new anyway.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks guys, it's good to know that I have all your confidence (not?) in my attempts. :rofl:

Not much physical work done yet, I'm still working at identifying the dimensions and tranferring that data to drawings.  Once the drawings are done then I can identify where the kit has to be cut, stretched, bent or binned. There are three lengths to work to when building a ship model:  Length overall (LOA),  Length between perpendiculars (LBP) and Length at waterline (LWL).  Normally, the LBP and LWL can be considered the same or very similar, but in the case of Victorious, these are different, as can be seen in the plan below.   I am starting with the waterline dimensions as I shall be converting/ building this model with the intention of placing it on a sea base.

Here is a view of my progress, so far, with the waterline plan.  The outer area is the shape of the model at the waterline (LWL),  Note the length between Forepost ( FP) and Afterpost (AP), [from the bow to the vertical red line aft]  is the LPB. The AP is normally the position of the rudder stock.  Apologies for the small scale of the plan, it has to be this size to fit within screen sizes on BM.  The actual plan, at the waterline, will be 60cm (23.75 inches).

hms_victorious_Waterline_plan.jpg

Here is a view of the work being done to make the cross-section frames.  There are 175 of these frames but I only have details for 22 of them, the fitting locations of these are marked on the plan above.  They correspond with the frame numbers which run along the waterline plan above.  The little 'dots' under the numbers 2 to 22 are actually the frames numbers 1 to 175 but they are too small to read here.

hms_victorious_section_frames.jpg

There's still quite a bit to do, to get all the salient data to make the drawings,  but I am happy the way it's going so far; it is just a bit tedious collating lots of measurements, converting them to 1:350 scale and then inputting them onto the plans etc.  After that, I should be able to start hacking and slashing with gusto (whoever he is!).

Mike

• Like 7

Excellent plan work.  I am currently sharing your pain (Fearless 82 instead of Vicky 66), so know all too well the head scratching and peering at poorly reproduced photos to gauge exactly what was going on.  Respect!

• Like 2