Spitfire MkXIV, 17 Sqn RAF

Latest effort to leave the bench is a Spitfire MkXIV in the colours of 17 Sqn RAF, based at Miho, Japan as part of the Occupying Forces.

26118630218_28b716dabe_c.jpg

It's the Airfix PRXIX Fuselage mated to the clipped wings from an ICM MKVII Kit, paints by Tamiya, Decals by Freightdog (FSD48-001) 

26118630788_1b2504fbc7_c.jpg

The XIV is certainly an attractive variant, and the non-standard scheme of Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green is an eye-catcher too. 

26118631788_9e2e9c9d7e_c.jpg

Gunze rattle can clear coats and some Flory Wash finished the job. 

26118629558_d31467195b_c.jpg

I'm very happy with how this one turned out.

Thanks for looking,

Troffa

• Like 31

Hi Mr CorsairFFU, 

RN185 is modelled as she appears in Contemporary Photographs, in particular the ones in "Camouflage and Markings No5, RAF Fighters 1945-1950, Overseas Based"  by Paul Lucas.

According to Mr Lucas's text, The British and Commonwealth Air Forces Japan kept up their operational edge with regular practice bombing sorties against ranges in the Miho area, 17 Sqn took part a large live fire exercise in September 1947, watched by Very senior Allied Officers. 

Rocket Firing Mustangs and Corsairs joined the Spit fighter bombers attacking uninhabited islands and fuel filled Japanese Landing Barges- it must have been quite a sight!

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Troffa

• Like 2

On 02/02/2018 at 3:46 AM, Spitfire31 said:

Great looking Spitfire, and I appreciate those drooped elevators… ;-)

The more you look, the more you see nice little details that bring the kit to life.  I'm not sure any of the Griffon engined variants deserve to be called 'attractive', but that really is a super model.

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2018 at 7:05 AM, bigbadbadge said:

I did a MkXIV from the odd shaped Academy kit with the Daco correction set

So you basically used just the Academy canopy then? :) Nice kit, terrible Spit XIV!

30 minutes ago, Natter said:

I'm not sure any of the Griffon engined variants deserve to be called 'attractive'

Oi! Enough of that. :) Griffon Spits are the bomb, the ultimate evolution of the type in both form and function.

And they're almost as macho a hairy-chested machine as the Sea Fury. Almost. ;)

Troffa - that's a quite lovely job on my favourite Spitfire mark. Well done, that man!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice conversion with an unusual camouflage. This is within my reach as I have a donor Hasegawa IXe for the wings and an Airfix PR XIX. By the time I finish it though someone will have issued the ultimate high back F XIV :lol:. I still got to build my Classic Airframes Meteor F8 :facepalm:

Cheers,

Wlad

• Haha 1