*Finished* Smer Dewoitine D510

Late as ever to join a GB.....

IMG_3749

IMG_3750

IMG_3751

IMG_3752

IMG_3753

IMG_3754

i got this kit many years ago as one of those, fit for spares type listings on evilBay, downside is someone had previously butchered the box and decals, upside is at just over a £1 a kit what was there to lose !

I think this may be the old Heller one, reboxed by Smer ?

cheers Pat

• Like 9

Yes, old Heller re-boxed so it should go together very nicely

Quite often you can by Smer re-boxes of Heller kits cheaper than the kit in a Heller box. Smer decals, especially the newer ones, are far better than the Heller decals usually

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

dogsbody please do not hi-jack JOCKNEY's build thread.

You can set up your own build thread for the D.510 if you want to

Well, I was just answering Charlie_c67's question, in Post #3. I am not nor do I have the intention of hijacking JOCKNEY's build thread.

If JOCKNEY has a problem with my post, he can say so himself and I will remove/delete it.

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

you should have fun with this kit.

I built it some 22 years ago, and I still look at it with pride! I stupidly decided to do the green over aluminium version and had to paint the whole Death with her scythe by hand in white, as the black decal in the original Heller boxing is too big... How stupid can you be?

I do not think you will be bothered by the mistakes on the kit: the front radiator should have 7 louvers instead of 6, the fuselage is some 2 mm too short (fun to rectify!), the vertical tail surface is too small, the horizontal tail surfaces have the wrong shape and there is some piping missing that comes out of the radiator and goes into the underneath of the fuselage. This is just from memory, so I may be missing some...

But all in all it is still a great looking little kit!

Never forget it was the best fighter in the world... sometime in the early thirties...

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, johnd said:

Unbuildable. Have cancelled my order.

John.

Hi John,

unfortunately you are right!!!

Who wants to buy a kit of such an iconic plane totally defaced by one missing louver?!!!! Really some manufacturers had no shame in these bigone days...

Nowadays, at least such brutal marketing would be unthinkable!

Have fun nonetheless.

JR

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2018 at 10:16 PM, dogsbody said:

Well, I was just answering Charlie_c67's question, in Post #3. I am not nor do I have the intention of hijacking JOCKNEY's build thread.

If JOCKNEY has a problem with my post, he can say so himself and I will remove/delete it.

Chris

Hi Chris

Relax everyone I enjoyed the post above, no offence taken, good info to know

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 03/03/2018 at 10:15 AM, jean said:

Hi Pat,

you should have fun with this kit.

I built it some 22 years ago, and I still look at it with pride! I stupidly decided to do the green over aluminium version and had to paint the whole Death with her scythe by hand in white, as the black decal in the original Heller boxing is too big... How stupid can you be?

I do not think you will be bothered by the mistakes on the kit: the front radiator should have 7 louvers instead of 6, the fuselage is some 2 mm too short (fun to rectify!), the vertical tail surface is too small, the horizontal tail surfaces have the wrong shape and there is some piping missing that comes out of the radiator and goes into the underneath of the fuselage. This is just from memory, so I may be missing some...

But all in all it is still a great looking little kit!

Never forget it was the best fighter in the world... sometime in the early thirties...

Have fun!

JR

Hi Jean

You will be disappointed to hear I built the unmodified 6 louvred version, I can only apologise please look away now before you see the photos below :sorry:

IMG_3767

IMG_3768

IMG_3769

As you can see in the above photo. It's not only Pirates that have wooden legs !

Yes I broke then managed to lose the undercarriage leg so had to make a new one out of a toothpick from the hotel I was staying in at the time ! Sorry Jean I did warm you ;)

cheers Pat

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Jean

You will be disappointed to hear I built the unmodified 6 louvred version, I can only apologise please look away now before you see the photos below :sorry:

IMG_3767

Yes I broke then managed to lose the undercarriage leg so had to make a new one out of a toothpick from the hotel I was staying in at the time ! Sorry Jean I did warm you ;)

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

I have been under severe stress for almost 2 weeks now, and I am afraid these terrible news from you are likely to send me over the edge! A 6-LOUVRE VERSION ? Our world has really gone bonkers!

I thankfully have a 50 kg bag of little pink pills, so I should survive...

Oh, I forgot: the underwing code is way too thick! Or did I already mention it?

While I still have a shred of lucidity, I can see you have the drill bit assortment of my dreams!!! Where did you purchase that little wonder box?

I am sad to say that even with 6 potential louvres, your D510 looks superb.

Have fun

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi D510 enthusiasts

Further instalments below

IMG_3770

Jean please look away a shockingly inaccurate number of louvres follows

Also further evidence of the wooden undercarriage  :sorry:

IMG_3771

Brown paint applied

IMG_3772

IMG_3773

cheers Pat

• Like 5

Decal problems !

IMG_3798

As you can see the decals have not lasted well, parts stayed attached to the backing sheet, so the letter will need to be painted in.

IMG_3800

And of course whilst doing that I managed to mangle the fuselage roundal, for which I don't have a spare !

IMG_3801

Heres what it should look like !

IMG_3802

I'll put a wanted post on here at BM for some French roundals. My search in my own spares box didn't turn up a single French one all RAF versions. I noticed that the roundals on this aircraft have a dark blue centre whereas other ones seem to have a lighter blue. I will need to match it or else have to change them all.

I get the feeling this kits isn't going to get finished without a fight :fight:

cheers Pat

• Like 3

What size roundels do you need Pat?  I've got plenty of Paraguayan roundels which are pretty close to your colours (although probably a bit darker - both the red and the blue).  Also, the central circle is bigger than or your decals - much more like your box art, in fact.  Apart from all that, they're a perfect match! 

Cliff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CliffB said:

What size roundels do you need Pat?  I've got plenty of Paraguayan roundels which are pretty close to your colours (although probably a bit darker - both the red and the blue).  Also, the central circle is bigger than or your decals - much more like your box art, in fact.  Apart from all that, they're a perfect match! 

Cliff

Hi Cliff

I will have a measure and post a picture later on. Doing the kids tea at the moment, homework, after schools clubs etc :frantic:

After all I wouldn't want 5 minutes peace or anything !

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

indeed this kit is fighting back... It has to be the curse of the missing louvre... Terrible.

I have plenty of French roundels, but by the time you receive them from the tin pot place I live in, you'll have forgotten you ever needed them!

Furthermore it is my turn to be peeved with Emile, as I broke a prop blade yesterday while lovingly de-dusting it and admiring my hand-made louvres on my D510. And then I broke one side of the windscreen I had made to replace the thick excuse found int he kit... 

Damn! So more repair work, when I can't even finish a new kit!!!!

Anyway, do persevere, because it is a beautiful kit!

JR

• Like 1

Today. I received my Rescue Roundals from CliffB allowing me to get this build finished. :yahoo:

So just to finish embarrassing him completely hip hip hooray :partytime:

As it's my birthday tomorrow, it's probably bad luck to open one of your presents a day early ;)

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Thanks to the generosity of Mr CliffB we are back in business, despite being very similar in size the fuselage roundals supplied with the kit and the ones from Cliff are different. So the surviving kit one will need to be removed to be replaced by the matching pair

IMG_3811

• Like 6