Airfix F86F 1/72nd scale

The Airfix F86F - 1/72nd. scale
The wing tanks were moved in 5mm and wing fences 7mm.  Options for the air brakes are provided with short (retracted) hinges for closed brakes or with extended hinges for the brakes open.  Although, I think, brakes in the open position would not have had the correct amount of droop.

ed504359-5ee0-4269-9ca3-0d810288c7fa.jpg

Painting: Brush painted with Humbrol acrylics, even Humbrol 11 silver for the NMF.  

Decals: I think the dragon decal should have been provided for both sides. The broad yellow fuselage band extends under the fuselage. The decal for the part below the fuselage was too narrow so was cut so the black outer lines would match up and the gap left was filled in with yellow paint.

Lots of decals for stencil data - a lot of time to apply.     

a8aa2848-72c7-4840-9218-c36d3faff7b5.jpg

Question: The box art for the kit shows tanks being jettisoned with the pylons attached - is this correct ?

Edited by twinpin
photographs improved
  • Like 22

2 hours ago, twinpin said:

The Airfix F86F - 1/72nd. scale
The wing tanks were moved in 5mm and wing fences 7mm.  Options for the air brakes are provided with short (retracted) hinges for closed brakes or with extended hinges for the brakes open.  Although, I think, brakes in the open position would not have had the correct amount of droop.

cea2ca1f-2516-4ebd-b131-5d451e03f9f2.jpg.

Painting: Brush painted with Humbrol acrylics, even Humbrol 11 silver for the NMF.  

Decals: I think the dragon decal should have been provided for both sides. The broad yellow fuselage band extends under the fuselage. The decal for the part below the fuselage was too narrow so was cut so the black outer lines would match up and the gap left was filled in with yellow paint.

Lots of decals for stencil data - a lot of time to apply.     

1d62bdb3-c5eb-435a-a9c0-ab80b5321718.jpg

Question: The box art for the kit shows tanks being jettisoned with the pylons attached - is this correct ?

Sabrejet will probably confirm if he sees this, but there was some previous discussion on the subject, and IIRC the pylons are jettisoned with the external tanks. On the fighter-bomber versions that have an additional stores/fuel tank pylon inboard of this pylon, I believe that pylon stays with the airplane. IIRC it usually carried bombs or napalm, but was also plumbed to carry fuel tanks. I think the F-86F-30 was the 1st  block that could carry the extra pylon.

Mike

BTW- very nice build- I would not have known it was brush-painted  if you hadn't said so! Well done, sir!

• Like 1

Dear twinpin,

Very nice Sabre, and great job on the finish. (I know what you mean about the decals – I've almost finished the same kit, but it's John Glenn's Mig Mad Marine).

4 hours ago, twinpin said:

I believe that is correct. The earlier discussion that @72modeler refers to might have have been from a question I posted:

I've taken the liberty of reposting what I think were some of the images in that thread that no longer appear (Photobucket issue):

Sabretanks_zpsf681c64e

52-2875_zps691bb487

Koreatanks_zps133fe6df

Regards,

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

nice job !!   The 'dragon' does not go on both sides of the aircraft, it was only on the port side.   The decals are however lacking on what was on the stbd side.

this is a restored warbird(Canadair 23314), but it shows what was on the stbd side;

iHX94iK.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you all for comments and to Dazey and Tony Edmondson for the pics.  Interesting to see in the pic of FU875 how much droop there is on the air brakes and the amount of plumbing inside the air brake compartment.  I think if the air brakes had been shown open on the kit they would have been near horizontal.

Surprised myself at how well the Humbrol 11 Acrylic silver worked.