Royal Class Fw.190A Dual Build 1:48

Mike

I managed to get some of the additional paint on the underside of the desert Fw.190 today, and I've gone for a slightly weathered look given the location, which was Libya.  I know that they weren't there as a unit for very long, as they were evaluating the tropicalised 190 for fighter-bomber use, but as their kit was later distributed between units, I've decided that this airframe got a bit knackered.  No basis in fact, other than it's a fact that it's what I decided ^_^  I like to vary the condition of my builds a bit so it doesn't all look pristine or ready for the skip, so this one's going to be in the "who sand-blasted my aeroplane?" category :wicked:  Not sure if I'm going to tone it down a little here & there, or not... I'll be guided by feedback ;)

underside1.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks fellas - funnily enough, when I was applying it under an additional lamp, it looked quite a bit more stark, but seems to have toned itself down a bit as it dried off.  Now I'm tempted to do a similar thing to t'other one :hmmm:

I caved and did a bit of the same on this one as well.  The rivet lines are just so tempting :hypnotised:

underside2.jpg

There's a grave danger of me getting some paint on the topside either tonight or tomorrow! :frantic:

• Like 2

Got the topside of the Trop's fuselage painted, and scribbled on some modulation to break up the monotony of the toffee colour.  It looks a bit careworn, but I don't mind. :)

topside1.jpg

topside2.jpg

I sprayed the fuselage "cheat" line freehand (it's meant to be wobbly), but masked the sharp demarcation on the wing roots and elevators because... well, they're sharp, innit? ^_^ I even remembered to paint up the missing panels and the canopy framework, which is a first for me :yes:

• Like 6

As mentioned, I got the base RLM71 down, masked it up and sprayed the RLM70 over the top, then did some colour modulation while the tape was still on.  It's very subtle and may even disappear under gloss, but we'll see.  I stripped off the tape and modulated the 71 this morning, and this is where we're at now.  I can't remember if I do the gloss coat next, or what? :cwl:

topside3.jpg

topside4.jpg

topside5.jpg

I decided not to go mad with the colours and weathering for this one, as the European climate is a little more forgiving, so the differences are fairly subtle at this stage.  Now for the gloss.  We do put gloss down now, don't we? :hmmm: I'm a bit out of practice. :blush:

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Mike said:

I got the base RLM71 down, masked it up and sprayed the RLM70 over the top

what scheme are you doing Mike, is this a JG54 in-field repaint?     

OK, a look here

suggests option D

• Fw 190A-3, W. Nr. 132259, flown by Uffz. G. Josten, 1./JG 51, Lyuban, Soviet Union, Autumn 1942

this may help

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A3-1.JG51-White-6-Russi

note @FalkeEins  blog has a colour shot of a JG51  infield repaint

http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/colour-shot-of-jg-51-fw-190.html

flugzeugcover2.jpg

I mention this as it shows the masked off patch for the swastika and wrk nummer, leaving the RLM 76 showing,  I mention this as the painting guide may well l give the impression of a blanked out swastika, as well as red undercowl,  and your subject shows a much darker under cowl to the tail band

HTH

T

can't take any credit for that Troy - Markus (Wunderlich) Chefredaktur at Flugzeug Classic the leading German magazine for Luftfahrt/Zeitgeschichte/Oldtimer graciously allowed me to show that image from his magazine.

some brilliant painting and finished going on here, wonderful kit too

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

note @FalkeEins  blog has a colour shot of a JG51  infield repaint

http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/colour-shot-of-jg-51-fw-190.html

I've been thinking about this, and it looks to be a later shot of the same airframe, as evidenced by the painted over yellow stripe.  I hadn't noticed the 76 square under the swastika, but I probably would have done around about when I came to apply them :rolleyes: I'll mask that up and chuck a bit of paint over the camo next time.  I'm going to leave the Balkenkreuz as displayed on the decal options though, taking the view that it was probably overpainted later when the nose & tail band changed colour too.

topside6.jpg

I couldn't resist pulling off the masking from the engine, and yes... those MGs are beige at the moment, but I couldn't be bothered masking them, as they'd only need painting in anyway, so I decided that I'd repaint 'em after.  Same goes for the Euro scheme and all the wing root guns.  One of the Euro barrels snapped during handling, so I've got some scale tubing to replace it completely, rather than try to join them smoothly. :)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I've been thinking about this, and it looks to be a later shot of the same airframe, as evidenced by the painted over yellow stripe. 

Eduard  have the version you are doing as Fw 190A-3, W. Nr. 132259,  don't  know if correct but they list the pilot so more likely.

The colour shot is Fw 190 A-3,  W.Nr 2278,  2./JG51 "Black 2", 

So not the same airframe if the above is correct.   but same unit and same  local repaint it seems,  which is why I posted it.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

I hadn't noticed the 76 square under the swastika, but I probably would have done around about when I came to apply them :rolleyes: I'll mask that up and chuck a bit of paint over the camo next time. 

if you can be bothered, a little 76 rectangle for the werk nummer too. 

Neat work as well Mike

cheers

T

PS another  look at asisbiz JG51

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG51.html

white 6 is Gunther Josten, this looks a slightly later shot of the same plane

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A3-1.JG51-White-6-Gunth

with  moved yellow band,  and spinner stripe, 

@FalkeEins  or  @tank152 may know more?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

if you can be bothered, a little 76 rectangle for the werk nummer too. 

I'd actually spotted that one, but thought it'd be on the decal, so I'll add that to my list of things still to do :)  Had another migraine y'day and am still feeling a bit :raincloud: so may just do the masking & spray a bit on in between lying on my back in a darkened room.  We're not far from a coat of gloss though, so it's all good.  I've been trying to read the helpful stuff about the markings etc., but my comprehension always takes a nose-dive after a migraine, so I'll have to read it again when I'm feeling more normal (for me). :blink:

43 minutes ago, Mike said:

Had another migraine y'day and am still feeling a bit

ouch!   SWMBO gets migraines,   she says Sumatriptan really helps,  I think it;s expensive so not all doctors  prescribe it, or willingly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatriptan

looks like generics are now available.

49 minutes ago, Mike said:

I've been trying to read the helpful stuff about the markings

Luftwaffe markings are enough of a  headache without a real headache.... let alone a migraine...

Hope it clears soon..  

Thanks @Troy Smith - I get 'em in clusters, and have one of the Triptan family for them.  I took one a little earlier, which seems to have helped a bit.  I masked up the tail using cut & measured sections as positive masks, then filled in around them, removing the originals at the last minute, and sprayed with a little 76, trying not to get it too thick.  There were a couple more patches on the elevator leading edge, the tail wheel and the jack-points, so I did those as well, totalling five per side in the end.  After unmasking they look ok with just a smidgeon needed in one place.  Pics later :)

Thanks @Tim T not postshading of the lines, but shading of the panels, leaving the lines fractionally darker... at least that's the idea.  Doesn't require such a steady hand (I don't have steady hands) because you're painting in a positive space, and I find that resting the model on the desk, hunkered over it with one hand resting on the other, the wobbling is cut down to a minimum, and what's left helps to add a little oraganic nature to the finished thing.  Also, spray using paints that aren't prone to drying on the tip, and this time I've used Gunze Mr Color in my Gunze airbrush the Super Procon Boy 0.2 FWA Platinum.  A cracking airbrush! ^_^

I'm finishing off the decals for option D, which is the Euro scheme, so I'll take a few snaps of that when they're on :)

Here's option D with a set of decals applied over a couple of coats of Aqua Gloss :)

decals1.jpg

A bit more to do, glossing over the decals being one, and then I can finally start putting on some matt coat :frantic:

• Like 5