A brace of BA "Bluebirds" - FINISHED

FortyEighter

Hopefully there is plenty of time to build and finish these two Airfix 737-200 kits, with BA "World Tails" livery:

20180131_170625

20180131_170740

As there aren't too many parts (and windows have been filled), the main time should be taken with applying the blue / white livery and the decals (I've not used Ray's laser printed decals before, so hope they go on as well as his screen printed ones).

Chosen aircraft are G-BGDF (Delft Blue Daybreak) and G-BKYB (Blue Poole):

20180131_170825

A question for the Mods: as these are the same kit, can I build them in parallel in one Thread?

Regards

Mike

Edited by FortyEighter
Title changed
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Mike, more than happy for you to report your progress on both in the same thread.

Are you a rescriber Mike? Or will you just remove the raised detail and leave them as a blank canvas?

Thanks for confirming one thread is OK.

I was wondering about rescribing ................. perhaos I'll try one of them and see how it turns out.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 3:24 PM, FortyEighter said:

Thanks for confirming one thread is OK.

I was wondering about rescribing ................. perhaos I'll try one of them and see how it turns out.

Would strongly recommend the silver kit for re-scribing as the panel lines remain as a shadow in the plastic after sanding off.

• Like 1

Fuselage seams have been sanded and scribed.  Have also cut out cockpit section to insert a Daco clear part  - as others have said this is wider than the Airfix cross section and needs a shim between the fuselage halves.

20180207_183806

However, I seem to need a 60mm shim which seems excessive🤔

• Confused 1

On 2/8/2018 at 6:19 AM, FortyEighter said:

Fuselage seams have been sanded and scribed.  Have also cut out cockpit section to insert a Daco clear part  - as others have said this is wider than the Airfix cross section and needs a shim between the fuselage halves.

20180207_183806

However, I seem to need a 60mm shim which seems excessive🤔

60mm shim? Wow, over 2 inches! do you mean lengthways or width Mike?

• Like 2

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:23 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

60mm shim? Wow, over 2 inches! do you mean lengthways or width Mike?

OK, I somehow got my metric / imperial measurements mixed :banghead:I meant 60 thou but think 50 thou was used to ease out the sides of the nose

Anyway, the Daco cockpit is now fitted and the seam clean up begins:

20180211_142711

Obviously some Mr Surfacer is needed here!!

20180211_142750

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure where March went but.........

Having finally got some dry days with little wind, the final rattle can spraying is complete on both aircraft - couldn't resist applying one tailfin decal!

20180405_182237

Decided to just sand the engines smooth and not attempt any mods

20180323_174318

Next step is to mask the wings and spray the inspar panels, then decaling can start properly.

• Like 10

Both sets of tail decals and one side of windows etc in place:

20180410_094835

This is the first time I've used laser printed decals - two lessons learnt:

• Don't try to apply blue nose gear door decals over blue paint - you can't see the white parts:banghead: Luckily I have another silk printed 737 set that has all the registrations on it
  • The decals are very transluscent, and can't be overlapped - those on the fin needed trimming at the base before fixing the rear fuselage parts

A wet day here, so chance to get more decals on.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, zebra said:

Looking good - great job with the decals.

Thanks - Delft Blue decals are just about finished now and I've started on the first set of windows for Blue Poole.

Need to think about painting all those fiddly aerials / pitots soon.

• Like 1

Coming along nicely Mike. I liked the world images and was sorry when they went.

Laser decals can be a bit of a pain occasionally. You have to think ahead and plan your painting taking account of their characteristics but you soon get used to them and they can produce excellent results.  The economics of screen printing don’t always stack up for a niche market like ours and if it wasn’t for laser decal printing we’d have far fewer schemes to choose from.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2018 at 11:28 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Those window decals are the bee's knees, it is good to see more manufacturers including them in there sets.

Thanks Ray, not sure what's happened to the picture in post #16 - I can't see it anymore?

The windows are, of course, from Authentic Decals

• 2 weeks later...