Sea vixen faw.1 intake colours

S5 modeller

Hi chaps. 

I'm building the 72nd scale cyber hobbies sea vixen faw.1 . I'm ready to button up the fuselage, but I need to sort out the intake trunking first. The instructions are rubbish, and apart from a colour call out on the Cockpit (black), there are absolutely no other references made. 

I've looked on Google, and the walk round section on here, but can't find any images of the intakes. What colour were they painted? 

All the images I can find of the faw.1 have fod covers in place, and any others are of faw.2 aircraft. 

Would it be safe to assume the faw.1 are the same as the faw.2? The faw.2 look to have a lip of esdg at the entry, then seem to be black down the the compressor face. Is this correct? 

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Matt

Cant help with a definitive answer.  I have the Richard Franks book and as you say the photos mostly are either off center as it were or the good old RN have been fastidious in putting in the intake blanks.  There is one decent large photo at page 95 of a Mk 1 serial XP918 in reasonable close up.  The caption says its either doing a bolter or has had a late wave off.  You can see the starboard intake and it looks pretty dark down there.  Possibly too dark just for shadow or light if the intake was white inside or so I would have guessed.  Sorry that does not help much but on that pic and the knowledge that the Mk2 was painted black I would stick with black until something definite comes along.  Its just a guess based on one photo though and not set in tablets of stone

edit - more info - same comments as above for a photo of XN657 on take off.   Also a picture of the DH110 WG240 in flight clearly shows the demaraction between the wrap around paint from the exterior and a darker intake colour.

All photos are black and white.

Your call!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys. I was rather presuming they would be white except the lip, until I saw the faw.2 were black. Threw me a bit of a curve ball to be honest. I suppose I could cheat and just go down the fod cover route, but seems a shame to hide the intakes and compressor faces. 

Matt

The intake trunking is natural metal finish, usually dullish, like a dull aluminium really.

I don't know if there was a clear coat on top of bare metal, or whether it was painted.  Many of the Fleet Air Arm jets of the era where the same.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 71chally said:

The intake trunking is natural metal finish, usually dullish, like a dull aluminium really.

I don't know if there was a clear coat on top of bare metal, or whether it was painted.  Many of the Fleet Air Arm jets of the era where the same.

Natural metal or silver paint? Aluminium and the salty environment of carrier operations aren't a good combination from a corrosion perspective.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I'd go with what James says, anodised Aluminium. 

John

• Like 2