Hawker Sea Fury FB11

224 Peter

3 hours ago, Spad said:

Mine has about 1~1.5 cm missing on the starboard fin leading edge - extends back as far as the panel line only so a quick bit of superglue/talc filler should sort it and allow me to rescribe the panel line at the join. I also have a fairly significant short shot on the last underwing tank half on the sprue but as it's one of the larger tanks which I do not like it is of little consequence to me. As with Nickthebrief above, neither is a deal breaker, just happy to have a good looking Sea Fury in this scale, at last.

Is that tank short-shot or is it the camera-pod with the clear piece in the front?

Chris

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Is that tank short-shot or is it the camera-pod with the clear piece in the front?

Chris

5 hours ago, avro683 said:

It's the camera pod.

Well avro683 - I think I know a camera pod from a short shot part, been around a while y'see. Take a look  - I sure hope you can agree my assessment now....

28377247239_085eae13d7_k.jpg

BTW - I did mention it was the last tank half on the sprue.....

Would you like to review my fin also?

Edited by Spad

Concerning the so-called camera pod, has anybody ever seen a photo of a Sea Fury actually carrying one?

I have never seen any photo or drawing of it, but then I don't have every reference book on the subject.

Larry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Concerning the so-called camera pod, has anybody ever seen a photo of a Sea Fury actually carrying one?

I have never seen any photo or drawing of it, but then I don't have every reference book on the subject.

Larry

45 seconds in :)

jonners

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jonners,

I screen printed two pretty good shots, which will be useful, if I manage to get an Airfix Sea Fury. Hopefully they will fix the apparent short shot problems by then.

Larry

12 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Larry

See post 11 in this thread.

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

See post 11 in this thread.

I saw that already. Unfortunately, on my limited disability income, I can't justify trying to buy that book to see 1 or 2  reference photos useful for a possible future build. And that's assuming I can even afford the Airfix Sea Fury kit. I will just have to make do with the Trumpeter Sea Fury kit I already have and build it with the side oblique camera port. There are plenty of available photos of that mod, and I can cobble together enough markings to do one.

Larry

On 09/02/2018 at 12:58, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks Jonners,

I screen printed two pretty good shots, which will be useful, if I manage to get an Airfix Sea Fury. Hopefully they will fix the apparent short shot problems by then.

Larry

I e-mailed Airfix about the moulding issues, sent them photos. 

I have two kits, one has a slight nick in the L/E of the fin, it will be an easy repair with filler. So I can build that one. 

The other has the top 2 cm of the fin and most of the L/E missing on the same part and is not usable.  

It looks as if Airfix has a real problem here: I wonder how long it will be before Airfix gets a new part to me? 

From my limited experience with plastics I think there are a number of possible causes of these moulding flaws. 

Either the plastic was too viscous, this can be the grade of plastic or the temperature, or the pressure at which the plastic was injected.

Another possibility is that the time allowed to inject was not long enough for the viscosity of the plastic. 

Whatever, it points to cost cutting at the Indian factory. 

I had a look at the new 1/48th Defiant, moulded in the UK. The plastic is far harder and the edges are almost sharp, unlike the Sea Fury. 

So I suspect the cause is cheap polystyrene with too much re-cycled material in it..... but I am probably wrong. 

• Like 1

Following the comments here about short-filled sprues, I took a look at mine that I bought only last week. I'm pleased to say that there are no moulding defects on any sprue.

I hope this is of interest to some, but in my industry experience of plastic injection tooling and moulding, avoiding short mouldings or defects is the result of the following factors: Good tool design, type of plastic used, and establishing the correct pressure/temperature/time settings on the machine.

Looking at the Sea Fury sprues, they follow the best practices in size, thicknesses, layout, and gate design for all the details. No design fault here then.

I can't comment on the exact plastic content other than its their usual one.

For these short mouldings observed, I think its a case of the machine settings (pressure, duration, temperature) have varied through a run and quality control has not picked it up. When a machine is set up with a new tool, initial small batches are produced to establish the settings. These machine settings are then recorded and used in longer production runs. An initial batch may be 100% checked. If no defects are found, then the next batch may have 1 in 100 checked. If still no defects are found, then the next batch may have only the first and last off checked. If defects do arise, then the quality checking numbers increase again, until the process is under control again. 100% quality checking takes time, and its standard practice to maintain higher production numbers and vary the checking based on the statistical results. 

Because a perfect moulded sprue is the result of a combination of factors, defects can occur unfortunately. It could be as simple as the tool was built and tested in factory X, and then production was moved to factory Y where imperceptively different factors (plastic mix viscosities, machine age, temperature, internal frictions, heating element resistance, may have made the difference).

From Airfix . I wrote to them pointing out the flaw in my tailfin. I should be OK fixing mine with a little Milliput but my point was trying to let them know they need to really fix their QC or ruin the reputation. Got this response quite quickly so if seriously flawed suspect you will soon be able to get a replacement part, and hopefully the moulding company will be forced by Airfix to get their fingers out for future runs.

Dear Sir 

Thank you for your email and I am sorry for your inconvenience. I have checked our stock of this and I have found a small number of these with the short tail fin as you have described and we are now getting replacement parts to cover this for the customers that need it. We are also following this up with the manufacturing to ensure that this does not happen again

Regards

Nicholas Coles

I also contacted Airfix regarding this issue but other than an automated email from them confirming they have received my complaint and another asking for the product code, i have not heard from them since. My fin issue seems to be a little worse than some i have seen. The same part also has another issue further forward on the fuselage. These are the images i sent to Airfix.

38573899640_2c4ea89286_z.jpg

38573901690_efa8109475_z.jpg

Edited by Diggers11

I picked up a Sea Fury yesterday , no evidence of any short-shots or defects apart from a couple of very minor sink marks on the U/C doors , so I'm very happy with mine.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

I've just received my kit and it had an extra 'B' Sprue to correct the fin problem shown for part 03. Sadly the part on the extra sprue with the corrected tail shows the problem above with the engine exhaust slot! Looks like I'll have to cut the tail off one and graft it to the other!

14 hours ago, Kallisti said:

I've just received my kit and it had an extra 'B' Sprue to correct the fin problem shown for part 03. Sadly the part on the extra sprue with the corrected tail shows the problem above with the engine exhaust slot! Looks like I'll have to cut the tail off one and graft it to the other!

Maybe easier to let a curved piece of Microstrip into the trailing edge of the exhaust slot?  But, as may have been said more than once, you shouldn't need to do it.

Saw a copy of Flypast yesterday from September 2017.There are three articles on Sea Furies in Korea.One if the photos shows Sea Furies on the deck of Theseus IIRC and the lead a/c has the camera pod fitted,also bombs.

• 8 months later...

I’ve got two of these, one of which I’ve nearly finished and is an experiment to see if I could move onto doing a professional job like you guys.

Two questions......is humbrol no74 “linen” realistic for the internal bays such as wheel housings etc and wing internals for the folded wing option.

and.....has anyone used the Eduard etched kits to use with this kit?

34 minutes ago, Carlosee1974 said:

.is humbrol no74 “linen” realistic for the internal bays such as wheel housings etc and wing internals for the folded wing option.

The Sea Fury's gear wells, wing fold and all internal surfaces (other than the cockpit) were painted in "Hawker yellow"

Airfix matched Humbrol 74 based on the references from our aircraft I supplied to them.