World War II Jeep & Derivatives STGB

Sabre_days

"The Jeep, the Dakota and the Landing Craft were the three tools that won the war."

-General Dwight D. Eisenhower

Since armour STGBs seem to be doing well lately, and a more general AFV Group Build is gathering steam, why not take the next logical step and try an STGB for an unarmoured military utility vehicle? And what better candidate than the most widely-produced motorized vehicle of World War II, one probably used by every Allied army (and most of the navies and air forces)?

The Jeep served as a reconnaissance vehicle, command car, airfield "follow me" vehicle, ambulance, messenger vehicle, aircraft carrier flight deck tractor, special forces assault vehicle, chaplain's car, improvised light AFV, mobile rocket launcher and even a railway locomotive...and that's just some of what it did in World War II military service, so there should be scope for a very wide variety of entries.

Eligibility: Within the usual 25% rule, any kit in any scale and medium, representing any era, any role and any operator of:

-Any of the vehicles developed for the original 1940 War Department 1/4 ton 4x4 requirement (Bantam, Willys or Ford).

-Any variant of the standardized wartime Willys MB/Ford GPW design (including the Ford GPA amphibian).

-Postwar vehicles directly derived from the Willys MB including, but not limited to, the Jeep CJ and DJ series through to the 1986 model CJ-7 and military derivatives of the CJ series (M38 and M606 series), as well as license-built derivatives produced by Hotchkiss, Mitsubishi, Mahindra, etc.

-Prototypes based on the Willys Jeep design, such as the TJ Tracked Jeep, JBC Jungle Burden Carrier, Willys Bobcat and Hafner Rotabuggy.

Exclusions:

-No what-ifs, although in keeping with armour modelling conventions, "generic" vehicles are fine as long as they can be justified as historically accurate (or at least realistic).

-No "jeep-type" vehicles with no direct engineering relationship to the wartime Jeep family. This would include the M151 Ford Mutt, M422 Mighty Mite, other countries' independently-developed equivalents (Land Rovers, GAZ-67 series, Nissan P60 / Jonga, Kübelwagen, Iltis, etc.) and of course Humvees and the current generation of MRAP-type vehicles.

-No unrelated, or only indirectly related, civilian vehicles marketed under the Jeep brand name (e.g. Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Renegade, etc.)

I stand ready to be corrected on the logic of my eligibility list by people who know the subject matter better than I do, but hopefully that should be a good start. Part of me wanted to go for a broader theme that could have included Land Rovers, the Dodge WC series, GAZ-67s and Kübelwagens, but I felt that: 1) An STGB would have a better chance of getting the go-ahead, since it requires five fewer participants and doesn't have to get through the poll, and 2) I didn't see a good way of setting the parameters for a more general military light utility vehicle build that wouldn't either be confined strictly to military service within a specific time period such as World War II, or bloc of countries such as NATO or the Commonwealth, or else so open-ended that it could include anything from a Model T to a Nyala and would probably lose focus (and certainly lose any sense of a definite "jeep" theme).

Who's interested?

1) Sabre_days (host)

2) Corsairfoxfouruncle

3) vppelt68

4) Knight_Flyer

5) Threadbear

6) SleeperService

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 1

Since i own a newer Jeep and love the Willys im in.

i would also include no Toyota land cruisers. The originals TLC’s were similar to the early rovers in that they reused some WW2 jeep parts. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently bought an Academy P-51 kit which includes a Jeep kit. Yes, in 1:72 scale. Now I need this GB to build it "correctly" which of course means in a group build :coolio:. C´mon, everybody needs and can build at least one Jeep. I think @Sabre_days wouldn´t mind if we display the Jeep beside another model, a Sherman, a Mustang, whatever. There´s a chance of making this the smallest GB ever - in size of the subjects, I mean, but a great one otherwise! V-P