1/72 lancaster turret blank.

TOPGUN88

Hi guys. Im planning on building a post war RCAF lancaster. I know the 1/72 dambuster kits have the mid upper turret kit blanks in them but is there any other ones that are readily available with the kit? 

The Matchbox kit has a turret blank. I'm looking at one right now. The mainwheels are a bit oversize, but it's a tidy kit. Perhaps not to today's standard but as good as the Privateer. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHBOX-MODEL-KIT-LANCASTER-B-I-III-SCALE-1-72/282827301589?hash=item41d9d222d5:g:QdcAAOSwuShab2zm

Hi,

Something to take into consideration, Canadian built Lancaster Mk.Xs featured a Martin turret which was located closer to the rear of the wings (sorry, off hand I do not recall exactly by how much).  As such, strengthening plates were added on each side of the turret.

Image result for rcaf post war lancaster

If you look at the top left of this picture, above the CX, you can see it and get an idea of the size of the plates.

Image result for rcaf post war lancaster vr a

Image result for rcaf post war lancaster

I have some more info but will have to do a little digging to locate it.  I'll post once I find it.

Also, take note of the exhausts, there are six stubs and they come out at a downward angle (unlike ALL kit ones with come straight out).  The closest that I have come to being able to replicate this, is to take Quickboost's Mosquito exhausts (1 Lanc will require 3 sets) and from the extra set chop off one exhaust and add it to to your Lancaster's.  The Mosquito had 5 exhaust stubs vs. the Lanc's 6. 

Image result for rcaf post war lancaster vr a

Edited by Wm Blecky
typo
  • Like 1

The Quickboost Mosquito exhausts are not a perfect match shape wise (maybe a little gentle persuasion to flatten the ends out a little???), but they are about the closest I think you can readily find:

72301.jpg

I have also had the Aeroclub exhausts and they are essentially the same as what you will find in the kits (ie. not the correct shape for this project). :(

On the subject of the Canadian-built Mk X, I understand that the first production machine with the Martin mid-upper turret was KB864, named Sugar's Blues.  Prior to that, all Mk X aircraft had the usual FN turret.

When the Martin was fitted it was placed 6 feet forward of the prior position.  

Edit:  Lancasters in the FMxxx serial range were built after the KBxxx range, out of the normal alphabetical order.  All the FMxxx range had the Martin turret too.

Edited by RJP

22 hours ago, TOPGUN88 said:

I have looked at the airfix b111 new tool.  Any good for this project? 

I can't find the dorsal turret blank on the frames for the Airfix Lancaster B.III kit on current issue.  My Dambuster Lanc is in too deep stash for me to check whether the blank is on the dedicated Dambuster frame.  The kit does give the option of gently downward tilted unshrouded 6-stub exhausts, though not with fishtails as on KB732 VR-X.

2 hours ago, TOPGUN88 said:

I have a revell dambusters with a turret blank. I will see if I can mate it on. 😁

Honestly, you could even use a piece of plastic card to fill that hole if worse comes to worse.  Bear in mind what RJP said earlier about the position of the mid upper turret: 

On 1/30/2018 at 8:18 PM, RJP said:

When the Martin was fitted it was placed 6 feet forward of the prior position. 

As I understand it (and do stand to be corrected), many Canadian Post War Lancasters that were used in Canada, were from stocks of Canadian built Mk.Xs with a Martin turret (albeit removed in Post War service).  From what I gather, it was not worth ferrying aircraft back to Canada as there were many still here not yet delivered.  Sort of a similar situation I recall reading about US bombers that had been interned in Switzerland during the War.  They were stored until war's end and then the crews were brought home while their bombers were scrapped.

If your Lancaster is a Mk.X, you might want to think about moving that position.  6' in 1/72 is an 1 inch plus you'd want to add those fuselage strengthening plates.  Before you attempt to glue in the Revell turret blanking plate, you could use it as a template to scribe in were the repositioned turret would have been.

Actually, RCAF squadrons (some? many? most?) brought their Lancasters home by air to prepare to take part in Tiger Force.  Other aircraft that had arrived in the UK were pulled from the MUs and sent home.  KB944 in the museum in Ottawa is an example but there are others.  Some served long after the war.

There are multiple pictures about.  Here is a link to KB739 on the ground at Yarmouth in June 1945.  56 missions complete and a happy looking crew back from the war:

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/photos_lanc/photos_kb739.html

Note the details - needle blades on the props, early shallow bomb aimer's blister, early pitot placement.  They've already shed the flame dampers on the exhausts, though.  It later served with the Winter Experimental Establishment.

High spirits!  There is a shot of KB865 at Yarmouth and its mates of 419 Squadron in early June 1945 sporting whitewall tires and Type C wing roundels.  KB865 had the Martin turret and paddle blades but others in the shot had the FN, some had needle blades.  The same endless varations they had on operations, I guess.

A fellow could spend a very pleasant afternoon just looking.

Edited by RJP

I was just going through some saved pictures and found a couple that I thought I would share.  Sorry I no  longer recall where I found them, but hopefully useful anyways:

Similar to the one dogsbody posted, just from a different angle, but you do get a good look at the Martin turret and the strengthening bracket:

Lancaster.jpg

This one is someone's conversion, gives you an idea of how to approach it, although I feel that the strengthening plates are not quite right (I think a little too long in length and a touch too narrow in the middle):

RCAFAVROLancasterwithmid-upperturrretmodification.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 30/01/2018 at 9:12 PM, TOPGUN88 said:

Hi guys. Im planning on building a post war RCAF lancaster. I know the 1/72 dambuster kits have the mid upper turret kit blanks in them but is there any other ones that are readily available with the kit? 

If you can find them, the previous Airfix Dambuster and Grand Slam kits have the mid-upper turret area faired over, eliminating the need for blanking plates etc.

Airfix_Lancaster_DB.jpg

Airfix_Lancaster_GS.jpg

A Dambuster kit resides in my stash, awaiting conversion to a Lancastrian.

Also the new Revell kit has blanking options. 

Here's mine converted to a Manchester.

Revell-_Paragon_Manchester_zps93d6c751.j

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
correction
  • Like 3