Revell 1/24 Routemaster Conversion ALM 34B

Hi All!

As a rule, I only build wingy things, but I couldn't resist having a crack at Revell's 1/24 RML. So here I am in the Works in Progress section of the Vehicle Discussion forum for the first time...please be gentle with me!

Having a habit of royally biting off more than I can chew, I've decided to try and convert the RML kit to the RM version. The subject of the model will be a Routemaster that operated with Southend Transport in the late 80s and early 90s, or more specifically, Fleet No: 110 ALM 34B. Here's the subject of my build (Photo credits: John Lidstone)

39954037712_fd5c4de3d5_c.jpgRoutemaster 2

25114970177_98d9d773a3_c.jpg11970900136_4a81af49a5_c

Having grown up and lived in Southend until the mid 1990s, I well remember the first Routemasters arriving in Southend on Sea in 1988, and even though I had just got my driving license that year, I still couldn't help but hop on these buses a few times just for the heck of it. They operated until 1993 and proved very popular with the locals and were very much missed when retired. Now, Southend Transport did operate one ex Greenline RCL, apparently only one of two bus companies in the UK to operate an RML/RCL outside of London. As the Revell kit is an RML, I could have saved myself a lot of bother and avoided a conversion. However, I didn't get to travel on this bus myself, but did use ALM 34B a few times...so it had to be that particular vehicle. Time to start hacking up plastic!

Before I do though, I just want to put in a few "shout outs" for a few superb individuals who have helped me enormously with the research for this project. First up, John Lidstone. He actually designed the livery for the Southend Transport Routemasters, drove every bus in the fleet and knew them inside and out. Over the last few months, he has patiently answered all of my questions regarding colours, fittings and just about anything I needed to know. I soon discovered just how different each and every bus in the fleet was! Thank you John! I just need to do this build justice now!

Next up, Bengalensis (Britmodeller username) aka Jorgen, whose superb RM conversion here back in 2012 served as my inspiration for this build. Jorgen offered no end of help and advice for the build, explaining the methods and measurements for his conversion. I really don't think I could have attempted this build without his help, and one thing is for sure, my build isn't going to be anywhere near as gorgeous as his finished model. it's stunning, and for those that missed it, here's the link: 

Thanks Jorgen! You're a prime example of what makes the community here on Britmodeller second to none!

Finally, and last but not least, thanks to Chris Moxham of Chris's Bespoke Transfers. To say that he has the patience of a saint is an understatement! I don't think I was the easiest customer as I kept unearthing new information during the making of my decals. Either way, I ended up with a superb set of transfers for this build....and it wasn't going to be a Southend Transport Routemaster without them! Thanks Chris!

One more thing, with my own business and four kids, time is scarce. So with apologies, this build will probably progress at a glacial speed. I'll update whenever I manage to get some work in!

Enough waffling for now....I'm off to hack up some plastic!

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 5

Great to see you're getting seriously started Steve! And thanks for the kind words, it's a joy to be able to help a little with projects like this, and it's great to know my build from back then has given you such inspiration. Makes it all worth writing it. I still remember it fondly as a very rewarding project, it was mostly a pleasure working on it, and I hope you will have the same experience.

It will be a pleasure to follow your build. Don't hesitate to ask if there's something coming up. If I only remember what I did with mine I will be most happy to assist.

• Like 1

Hi Jorgen;

Thanks for the encouragement! It will be a pleasure to have you follow this build....even if it will make me a little nervous....a bit like me trying to play guitar to impress Andy Summers (I know one or two chords, but that's all!) :guitar:

I'm sure I will have a few questions along the way. I'm beginning to realise just how much of the kit needs altered, but I am so grateful for your help otherwise I'm not sure I would have known where to start!

I plan to get started this evening, so the first update will be posted tomorrow! 

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1

Ok! Off the starting blocks with the build. I'm using the Revell 1/24 Routemaster with the addition of the three Czech Truck Model photo etch packages for the Routemaster. There's some really useful stuff in these sets, and I'll snap some photos of them as soon as I get the chance.

For some reason, I wanted to start with the radiator grille, which is a very prominent feature of the Routemaster. What's in the box seems to be a bit of a weak area of the kit, so the moulded grille had to go...

28206074719_9c315c77eb_c.jpgIMG_6649

I don't know if there's a tool to make this job easier, but I ended up using a drill and pin vise and hand drilling a lot of small holes around the area I wanted to cut out. Very tedious, but it got the job done. All that was left was to tidy up the remaining aperture and leaving a small ledge of a couple of mm for the radiator grille to fix to. 

Time to crack open the Czech Truck Model photo sets for the first component...the Radiator grille! 

28206074329_de44c43ac8_c.jpgIMG_6650

This little bit of photo etch alone, along with the kit radiator grille surround, totally transforms the look of the kit already. A small step, but one that still took an hour or so of fettling. Looking at the wings, I'm a bit fortunate as the RM I'm building (see photos in post #1) was fitted with RML wings. So no further conversion needed there. 

Not much so far, but a start! Onto the chassis next!

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 3

Ding Ding, fares please!

Nice grill, mister.

I had a look at the 1.99 set number 1 for the big Routemaster

in a certain papershop downtown. I'm sure I could use that grill

for something useful on a future build. Didn't get one though.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware of the Routemaster part build. Thanks for the heads up! 1/12 scale is going to produce a monster of a model! I presume that the overall cost of the entire part work will equate to the cost of a real Routemaster!

.....I'm a bit tempted though.

A little bit more progress last night. I started by shortening the kit chassis by the prescribed 27mm and fixing together....

39087320185_07da891a63_c.jpgDSCN0671

...And then it was the turn of the kit's lower floor section, 27mm removed and re-fixed...

25114876207_fdc216fdb5_c.jpgDSCN0670

...And finally the chassis base and also removed the section between the front wings. More on that later!

39087320535_a06c9380e5_c.jpgDSCN0669

Next up will be all the bits and bobs that need shortened like the prop shaft, exhaust pipe etc. It's all a bit scary, and I hope it all fits!

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 3

Hi Jorgen;

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm measuring several times, and only cutting when absolutely sure...and then I'm cutting plenty inside my lines to give me space to sand back accurately. I'll see if it all fits so far later this evening!

bzn20;

Glad to have you on board Sir! This will be a route number 29, so terminates at the central bus station...just a quick stroll to Kursaal. Might consider a trundle down the pier, but that hasn't been the same since the old green and cream trains went...oh, and the small matter of everything at the end burning down! Haven't lived there for 20 years now, but still sort of miss it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I'm a bit tempted though

Tempted enough to spend about 1100 of your finest British pounds?

I read somewhere that it would cost around that much.

Nice cutting BTW.

I had a look on the website today to see how many issues there are, and for some reason, I couldn't find the answer. I had a look here on thread about the Routemaster part build, and it said 130 issues. As you quite rightly say, £1100 is very, very expensive for a model. It does look very nice though. I've never taken the plunge on any of these part works before. Do they have any value once finshed? I really shouldn't think about buying it, but then think of the years I spent far more trying to kill myself with cigarettes until I gave up five years ago. £8.99 a week doesn't seem too bad when I must have spent three times that a week on roll ups. 

....but again I think £1100!!! That's a heck of a lot of money for a model.

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 2

A radio DJ was talking today about a friend trying to sell his Smart car.

We buy any wossname apparently offered just five hundred pounds.

His mate asked how much it would be worth if he'd kept the box.

• Haha 1

Ok! First milestone of the build completed. Using Jorgen's superb guidance, the chassis, floors and all components have been converted. All that was left was to dry fit and see if it all worked. Very happy to report that it all fits like a glove....so I must have done something right! Managed to get the engine glued together too, but I still need to detail it. So, all seems good so far!

39985224081_ae8271f0b0_b.jpgDSCN0675

39274999674_7a7daf0cfb_c.jpgDSCN0676

Next step will be tackling the sides of the bodywork. I'm sweating this one already! Stay tuned folks!

Best regards;

Steve

• Like 3

Thanks Jorgen! I'm going to be very, very careful with the body sides. I can imagine that this could be the one area that would throw everything off. Although any miscalculation in any area of this build could throw the whole thing off eventually. The conversion of the fixed window looks like fun!! I'll be back soon with the results hopefully.

Just a quick question. I remember that your build thread showed that new cut outs have to be made in the sides of the converted upper floor section to accomodate the locating tabs in the side panels. Do new slots need made in the lower floor section too?

Best regards;

Steve

Thanks Jorgen! That's very helpful. I didn't recall any modifications to the lower floor in your thread, just the upper floor. Felt best to check first though!

Best regards;

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten the build, but things have been too busy to allow much modelling. However, the research has continued regarding the bus I'm depicting in this build and thrown up some new information that has me back at the drawing board. I've discovered that the Purmo heaters (those boxes running alongside either side of the floor with the grilles on top) were only fitted on refurbished buses, and were not fitted to ALM 34B. This is a bit of a headache as these form an integral part of the assembly of the kit with the interior side panels. Also, they are moulded in a sort of N shape, so if you remove the box section, you lose everything. So some scratch building will be needed.

Also, as suspected, the seat moquette covered the whole seats on this bus, unlike the kit that has the leather sides to the seats. Of course, the decals only give enough to depict the earlier style of upholstery, so filling in the seat ends and sides with extra moquette pattern should be fun!

Stay tuned....I'll be back in the next few days with some progress.

Best regards;

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1