Eduard 1/72 Fw 190A-5 JG1

Another of my recent builds I finally uploaded to my new hosting account - Eduard's Fw 190A-5. This is the Weekender edition and is the aircraft of Oblt Rolf Strohal of Stab/JG1

The members at 72nd Scale Aircraft have compiled a nice set of build notes for the Eduard kits and you really need to have a look to avoid nasty surprises late in your build. (See link here: http://s15.zetaboards.com/72nd_Aircraft/topic/812177/1/#new). It's nowhere near as easy a build as the Hasegawa kit but is much more detailed (and much more accurate for the A-5). Libor's build was useful to work out how the inner gear covers fitted. Once you look at it, it makes sense as the covers include a cutout for the shell ejection chutes.

Hopefully Neil (Falkeins) is online soon as he is very interested in JG1 machines.

Australian_Open_2018_Paul_Vivian_068.jpg

Australian_Open_2018_Paul_Vivian_064.jpg

Australian_Open_2018_Paul_Vivian_066.jpg

Edited by Michael louey
Postimage issues
  • Like 18

Very neat Würger! That Eduard kit is a temptation on my horizon…

The fuselage Balkenkreuz and the fin Hakenkreuz decals look a bit 'glued on top', since the underlying panel lines aren't continued on them…

Nice modelling, and thank you for the link to the kit experiences on 72nd Aircraft!

Kind regards,

Joachim

4 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Very neat Würger! That Eduard kit is a temptation on my horizon…

The fuselage Balkenkreuz and the fin Hakenkreuz decals look a bit 'glued on top', since the underlying panel lines aren't continued on them…

Thanks for the observation Joachim! When you're looking at a model for ages, some things just don't register anymore. When others have a look, especially in high detail, they spot issues like this. Part of the problem is my solution to the RLM 74 centres to the fuselage Balkenkreuz. I sprayed a 2nd decal with grey and put the white Balkenkreuz over it. This extra thickness makes it harder to conform to panel lines. I spent some time this evening after work applying more of my strongest decal softener and reapplying the wash. Looks better but far from perfect!

Don't think I'll worry about updating the pictures. 

Cheers

Michael 

• Like 1

Though I wasn't planning to add the updated photos of the 190 discussed with Joachim, I had to setup the camera gear again for some Tintin subjects (see other topics) so I decided to shoot the 190 with decals redone to show the difference.

DSC_0755.jpg

DSC_0756.jpg

As I said earlier, nowhere near perfect but hopefully an improvement.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2