Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!

There's been no movement on the Hurricane. I've looked at it a few times and have fondled a couple other kits, but it's just not there. Hopefully, it will come back with Spring and warmer weather.

Chris

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I'm calling this build dead. It's a late Hurricane. This Hurricane has ceased to be.

The painting didn't turn out that great and I had to wait to get more to do any corrections. By that time winter was in full swing and I had to close up the basement window, so nothing would freeze, stopping me from using the airbrush. My mojo dropped way off at that point. I had looked at a couple other kits, but nothing grabbed me.

This build is now bereft of life.

Chris

• Sad 5

• dogsbody changed the title to Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Has Passed on!
32 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I'm calling this build dead. It's a late Hurricane. This Hurricane has ceased to be.

The painting didn't turn out that great and I had to wait to get more to do any corrections. By that time winter was in full swing and I had to close up the basement window, so nothing would freeze, stopping me from using the airbrush. My mojo dropped way off at that point. I had looked at a couple other kits, but nothing grabbed me.

Aw, do some brush touch up, get the decals on and finish up the build.   Once done the glitches fade,  and you can enjoy the model, get some mojo and do something else, remember you've posted pics of your stash ;)

Otherwise stick in a box and find something new... That said I've got a few half done ones and not been doing anything recently so know how the mojo ebbs and flows..

• Like 3

Try using water based acrylics next time (Revell Aqua, Humbrol acrylics), that way you can model around the year while waiting like half an hour for the paint to dry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Otherwise stick in a box and find something new... That said I've got a few half done ones and not been doing anything recently so know how the mojo ebbs and flows..

It's still in the box. I didn't trash it. I've got an Airfix Beaufort on it's way that I'm going to start as soon as it gets here.

Chris

• Like 3

Hi Chris,

that's sad news - it was going well. As everyone has said, just put it to one side for a little while and perhaps come back to it in a few weeks, maybe when you're painting something else. It'd be a shame to abandon it completely.

I've got five builds ongoing, my two Hurris stood gathering dust for four months, but now I'm doing bits to them while the Spit and Mustang take a rest!

Enjoy the Beaufort - it seems like its a winner! :) 

Cheers,

Mark

Understandable :)  and honestly, not something to feel bad about Chris.

You could always do what I did with the dh-88 Comet - leave it on the shelf for a year to ripen :D

(which reminds me, there's still an SH Spit mk.V to finish in a drawer)

• Like 1

Well you could always strip it back and use it as a paint mule. Sometimes a build just doesn’t do it, it’s ok to park it. So far in my second modelling life I haven’t abandoned anything I do have one or two shelf queens but nothing serious:) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 8:50 AM, dogsbody said:

Okay! It hasn't been totally abandoned. It's aging in the box. Perhaps it will slowly morph into something more presentable. We'll see.

Chris

Hope this makes a comeback some day :)

• Like 1

I do have a plan for sometime in the future. I have acquired another kit and will build that, while correcting some of my mistakes I made on this one..

Chris

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I do have a plan for sometime in the future. I have acquired another kit and will build that, while correcting some of my mistakes I made on this one..

Chris

That's good news, Chris! Looking forward to seeing you make a start.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2