Explicit Women - LONG TERM HMS Fearless 1982 double build

On 19/2/2018 at 19:42, Courageous said:

If your intentions are to put all that drawing detail onto a scratch built model, I'll be well impressed. :worthy:

If so, you can surely borrow Stuart's Nick name!!!:viking:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The possible Jecobin error is the position of the bulkhead ("wall" to any landlubbers!) which is just behind it - in shadow in the pic, aligned with the rear face of the mainmast.

Purely on the visual evidence you provide here Crisp I would support your conclusion.

In that first photo - allowing for perspectival displacement - that bulkhead definitely appears to match your interpretation. :thumbsup2:

I say this with all the authority that years of experience travelling on the Ireland to UK ferry each summer for the hols can bring....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm laughing

But also agreeing, I'd wager, sirrah, that you knew your own ship better than Jecobin

And this comes with many years experience being ferried to France for Le Mans

In other things...

Autocorrect in Apple land, does it not give you the option of highlighting the 'wrong' result and then if you right click 'Add to dictionary' the way Android does?

You'd be amazed at the dictionary of English in my browsers

Any road, carry on skipper,the drawings deserve a wall in Tate St Ives, round the staircase at the entrance with a magnificent view of the water

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pixelmator, on a MacBook Air.  Like all of them, it takes a while to learn (e.g. I only stumbled by accident onto the fact that it will do vector graphics), but it’s great to use once you know it.

• Thanks 1

Today's work - the flight deck & catwalk guardrails, plus liferaft racks, refuelling points etc:

39986547284_5e1cef16a7_b.jpg

And the whole ship (with bridge restored!), with only the quarterdeck to do and a few details to sort (e.g. the forward draught marks):

39986547074_cb5ce0dd30_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK, starboard profile now complete.  First without LCVPs & Whaler:

40670433482_d445021d8d_h.jpg

...and then with them:

40670434422_eb4c5b09a8_h.jpg

One more sheet of detail stuff to do, and then these will be complete.

More soon

Crisp

• Like 3

Having finished the profiles of the whole ship, I am now concentrating on details - arguably the most important bit, since this is where differences are highlighted between various stages of the ship's life, differences between her & Intrepid, and so on.  Already, after a few weeks of this, I have re-learned a huge amount about Fearless, which was part of the idea.

My wrist is now at about 90%, but I have decided to finish these drawings before I go back to plastic, PE and resin - or they might never get finished.  Since some of these are freehand drawings done from photographs, they take a fair amount of time.  None the less, I will thank myself in due course when I actually build the model(s) of her!

So, in no particular order, some details - still quite a lot to come:

39935212325_318f830513_b.jpg

39935212485_8417b91cae_b.jpg

39935236175_252636446c_b.jpg

This last one is still unfinished, but is where I've got to tonight:

39935212665_4f3c8095ee_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

Did you train in technical drawing at all Crisp? This work is of such quality and depth that it fills me with admiration at the level of skill it displays each time I come back to it.

Terrific.:clap:

• Thanks 1

Be careful, @KEVIN_ARIS - Fearless' Seacat system was GWS 20, the very early version, visually guided (i.e. no radar involved).  The DLGs had a more developed version - GWS 22, which included a radar targeting system. Norfolk was the ship I left to join Fearless.  I think the launchers were the same, but the directors were certainly different.

Anyway...  40/60 Bofors finished

40156881644_8684bfaaa7_b.jpg

..and Seacat launcher done:

40156881694_3c9f891dee_b.jpg

Now moving onto the final element of this details sheet, namely the Sonar Type 182 - Towed Acoustic Decoys.  Then there will be one more sheet to do, which will show vertical "slices" through the ship, illustrating some of the detail that's otherwise impossible to see.

Still enjoying it!

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Be careful, @KEVIN_ARIS - Fearless' Seacat system was GWS 20, the very early version, visually guided (i.e. no radar involved).  The DLGs had a more developed version - GWS 22, which included a radar targeting system. Norfolk was the ship I left to join Fearless.  I think the launchers were the same, but the directors were certainly different.

yes Crisp i fully appreciate your reply, and yes, my build will have the GWS-22 fit, what i meant to say was that as i get into this scratch build mind set, and not just building a kit out of the box, i am starting to learn system fits 

• Like 2

You do realise, I hope, that the Fearless build will not follow straight on from these drawings!  OK, the 1/700 L’Arsenal version might not be far away, but the 1/350 scratch build for which these drawings are designed won’t happen for quite a while yet.  I have 1/48 Walrus, Seafire 47 and Seafang builds that were in progress when I hurt my arm, plus a 1/350 Ton Class... and when they’re done, there are 1/48 Seaking and 1/340 [1/350, really] Ark Royal projects, both paused for months.

So don’t hold your breath just yet!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Sorry Crisp, I was being a bit presumptuous, just looking forward to the build.

He's been a tad coy about a Barracuda that I know that he has lurking in the cellars of  Maison Crisp too....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think the Barra may yet get a total re-start; I have several of the kit, and there are several areas of my original effort that could do with major improvement.  I hadn’t been back modelling long when I was working on that one!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1