Explicit Women - LONG TERM HMS Fearless 1982 double build

I know very little about Fearless other than what history/TV/ papers portray, I do believe she played an important part in the Falklands.

What I do recognize is a man who is passionate and knowledgeable about their subject. I shall be in the background for the long run enjoying this build.

Kev

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Plans as of close of play this evening.  Everything from the starboard funnel aft is complete.

40050954892_bd5728a927_h.jpg

This is forcing me to work out exactly what is going on in some obscure areas, which will definitely not be wasted when I get round to trying to model this!

WEM (Tom's Model Works) have delivered the replacement Mk.VII Bofors guns for the 1/700 [L'Arsenal] version. 

Getting there!

In London tomorrow for a job interview, so more on Tuesday.

Crisp

P.S.  Not sure how well this will come out.  The photo below was taken from Semaphore Tower in Pompey dockyard as we sailed into our home port on 7 July 1982.  It featured in a 1983 calendar that my Dad had, and I have never seen it reproduced anywhere else since (which seems odd, because it's a great photo of Fearless).  Dad framed it for me, and it has been on my wall ever since - so this is an iPhone photo of a photo, taken through glass (complete with a few reflections, despite my best efforts)... as such it might not come out very well. Anyway, this shot is a primary reference for the 1/700 build, since I plan to build that as the homecoming version (not visible in this photo were 3 LCUs tailing along behind).

What rust?  The US ship in the foreground does not in fact have members of her ship's company saluting us naked (as seen between the 5" gun turret and the Standard launcher), despite appearances; they are wearing Khaki.  But it really looks like they are in the buff...

28303576909_ce6906bf20_h.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

IAMNOTMISSINGTHIS.

I suppose all of us, of a certain age, will resonate with your story Crisp

I'm sitting very quietly awaiting the story of our friend in one of his finest hours

Good luck in That London today, it would have been my dad's one hundredth birthday if he'd stayed with me/us and I'm hoping he'll put in a word for a mate

As always your meticulous planning is going to be as much pleasure as the  model making

I'm in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More drawing fun.

First up, the area around the Mainmast, going almost as far back as Flyco, and including the aft Seacat launchers and directors.  This section is pretty much done, apart (fairly obviously) from the LCVP davits and associated stuff to either side.

40122796421_c230c58d5b_b.jpg

Secondly, the bridge, foremast and for'd Seacats:

40122796341_f09513bc70_c.jpg

And finally for today, the fo'c's'le.  Forward of the breakwater it's 95% complete, with more still to be done to the left as we look.

40122796201_8cc02fa71a_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

Forward section now done (almost - a few details on the starboard side of 02 & 03 decks still to be filled in).

25267981757_fd0e078f5f_b.jpg

That leaves the midships area, around the LCVP davits and upper deck communications stuff.  This is the hardest bit to get definite reference info (and the comms stuff changed frequently), so it might take a while.

P.S.  This is what the whole ship looks like now:

39428214074_0d9065b7a7_h.jpg

More soon

One-Armed Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

I have a weak spot for Airfix,Royal Navy,HMS Fearless and Peter from Atlantic models is bring out in 1/600,Quote from Peter "Work is in progress now on the HMS Fearless 1/600 detail set for the trusty old Airfix kit. I have had quite a few requests for this so I have gone ahead and made a start".I will be watching with great interest.Still life left in those 1/600 ships. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chewitt said:

I have a weak spot for Airfix,Royal Navy,HMS Fearless and Peter from Atlantic models is bring out in 1/600,Quote from Peter "Work is in progress now on the HMS Fearless 1/600 detail set for the trusty old Airfix kit. I have had quite a few requests for this so I have gone ahead and made a start".I will be watching with great interest.Still life left in those 1/600 ships. 

I noticed that, too; I have an Airfix Fearless in my stash - indeed it was started, but progress stalled when I got the L’Arsenal kit.  But if/when Peter produces that set, no doubt I will buy it!  It needs a lot of work, though; even if it were a tip-top modern state-of-the-art moulding (which it definitely isn’t - “ziggurat” ladders, huge & amorphous 40mm, Seacat launchers that are unrecognisable, etc), it still needs a lot of work for my purposes, because it depicts Fearless as she was built.  That means that ⅔ of the superstructure needs rebuilding.  

But you just know I’ll do it sometime!  And it can be done: I linked to a great Airfix-based 82 Fearless in the first post of this build.

• Like 2

Whole ship as she looks at close of work this evening:

40139873642_322194eef2_h.jpg

And a closer view of the midships section, which is where I have been working (specifically, on the LCVP and boat davits and associated platforms etc).  F5 (starboard forward) still to be done, plus the Cheverton (midships, port).  Then the detail around the comms areas (centre right in this picture).  Getting quite close to finishing this plan view now - probably one or two more days' work.  Then start on the port & starboard views... so still along way to go!  Fun for the one-handed, though. 

40139873762_c99700e31a_b.jpg

I'm off up to Notts to see my Mum tomorrow, so more on Sunday.

Crisp

• Like 6

OK, plan view now complete (pending some further information re comms aerials).  

Here's the whole ship:

39516662034_00437ac366_b.jpg

And here some closer shots aft-to-forward:

26355076818_215370fe3f_b.jpg

39516662484_946044084a_b.jpg

39516662604_24278dc02e_b.jpg

26355076958_33ce47583c_b.jpg

Happy with that.

Now for the next fun...

28448360539_6044d314b6_b.jpg

• Like 8

Bit late to the show, only just stumbled upon this. I've always loved the two and Intrepid was my first ship way back when! I shall follow along with interest. Good to see your not being held back too much!

Bob

• Thanks 1

On 29/01/2018 at 19:56, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Many of you already know that I served on board HMS Fearless in 1981-1982, including during the Falklands War.

So, why didn't you wave?  :shrug:

spacer.png

I was on HMS Intrepid 1980-81 but I only spent eighteen months on there, as my draft was changed to a Commando unit just in time for the conflict.  As such, I will be making an attempt to build Intrepid in the similar time period.  I once had to de-rig the antennas at the top of the mast, and this gave me the opportunity of getting some decent views of the deck markings and colours.  The image below is of two photo's stitched together but time has affected the original of the right side view.

hms_intrepid_flightdeck_in_1981.jpg

On the LCVP, off Narvik 1981.

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 10

12 hours ago, bootneck said:

So, why didn't you wave?  :shrug:

In_the_tez_with_hms_fearless_1200px.jpg

I was on HMS Intrepid 1980-81 but I only spent eighteen months on there, as my draft was changed to a Commando unit just in time for the conflict.  As such, I will be making an attempt to build Intrepid in the similar time period.  I once had to de-rig the antennas at the top of the mast, and this gave me the opportunity of getting some decent views of the deck markings and colours.  The image below is of two photo's stitched together but time has affected the original of the right side view.

hms_intrepid_flightdeck_in_1981.jpg

On the LCVP, off Narvik 1981.

Intrepid_1981_resized_1000.jpg

Mike

I am clearly waving in that top photo; what a shame that the technology of 36 years ago means you can’t see it! [Is that D-Day?  Fearless is clearly docked down]

The other two shots are both fascinating to me, for different reasons.  The flight deck shot shows clearly the changes FS had undergone in her 81 refit (I joined her a few days after she emerged from the Tyne); those deck markings are pure Wessex / 3BAS (“Teeny-Weeny-Airways”), whereas FS had the double circle Seaking 4 version (see my plan!).  But that’s by far the clearest view I have of the fire & fuel arrangements in the catwalks.

Pictures like the bottom, LCVP, one are gold dust when you’re modelling ships that no longer exist, because they show details of areas that are rarely (if ever) photographed officially.  That gives a very clear view of the starboard waist, the exact layout of the liferaft racks (hard to decipher from plans), the galleries around the LCVP & boat davits... even the ramp of a VP.  Shame about the 3 dodgy Bootnecks getting in the way, but you can’t have everything!

Got any more?  Every single one of my FS photos (indeed, most of my RN pics pre-1987) were victims of a flood in my first house.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'll post some more here, with your permission Crisp, for your viewing community. I can send you larger resolution versions, plus others, by email if you pm me your addy.

We did get the updated deck markings, that was the reason we were in dock. The photo of the deck from top of the mast was taken before re-marking and here is a view afterwards.

hms_intrepid_15_in_1981_john_knott_resiz

Other views:

hms_intrepid_03_in_1981_resized_1280.jpg

hms_intrepid_04_in_1981_resized_1280.jpg

hms_intrepid_10_dock_resized_1280.jpg

hms_intrepid_bridge_wing_in_1981.jpg

hms_intrepid_21_in_1981_resized_1280.jpg

hms_intrepid_27_in_1981_resized_1280.jpg

Couple of good side views whilst the LCVP's were landed ashore during our refit.

hms_intrepid_35_in_1981_resized_1280.jpg

hms_intrepid_36_in_1981_resized_1280.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

In_the_tez_with_hms_fearless_1200px.jpg

Nice looking picture! Reminds me of a dit from my Geordie mate who was on the Engadine during the landings. He was only 18 at the time and they stuck him on top of the hanger in charge of a GPMG and told to shoot anything that flies. Lo and behold during the landings there was an air raid. Alert and on edge He spotted a Skyhawk coming in low and fast and just opened up on it. His eyes were just trained on the plane, finger firmly down on the trigger, blatting away, following it along, totally oblivious to the fact that it flew behind the Fearless! So may be worth putting a trail of bullet holes across the superstructure! Although he reckons that everything was way out of range and his actions were futile! Just hope you weren't out on deck waving away during that time!

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

Nice looking picture! Reminds me of a dit from my Geordie mate who was on the Engadine during the landings. He was only 18 at the time and they stuck him on top of the hanger in charge of a GPMG and told to shoot anything that flies. Lo and behold during the landings there was an air raid. Alert and on edge He spotted a Skyhawk coming in low and fast and just opened up on it. His eyes were just trained on the plane, finger firmly down on the trigger, blatting away, following it along, totally oblivious to the fact that it flew behind the Fearless! So may be worth putting a trail of bullet holes across the superstructure! Although he reckons that everything was way out of range and his actions were futile! Just hope you weren't out on deck waving away during that time!

Bob

He missed us, I am glad to say.  There were quite a few stories like that; one of Fearless' Seacats is alleged to have missed one of Intrepid's LCUs by a matter of feet.  Most of the gunfire in the anchorage was futile, but I can assure you it feels a hell of a lot better being bombed when you are firing back than it would if you were just sitting there!  

• Like 5

Mike, I won't repeat the photos.  But those are gold dust!  PM inbound.

Away from the steely dits, I think I am speeding up as I get used to this.

Port view of focsle done:

40241578131_9bcbfc4181_b.jpg

• Like 6

Is that you using a shovel from the stoke hole to bat away the range depleted 7.62 ball as it was dropping on deck Crisp?

Fearless was coal fired I suppose, she being such an elderly vessel. ;)

I see Mike is once again producing photos of fabulous quality, I hope that lots of the info on Intrepid is cross-deckable to Fearless

• Like 1