Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat

Colin W

Hi All,

I have just got hold of a Tamiya Tomcat and am about to order some decals on line. The kit looks quite heavy and the plastic undercarriage maybe a bit weak. Has anyone built this and is it worth spending another #20 on the white metal  undercarriage legs from SAC?

Cheers

Colin

Kit undercarriage is just fine, I've built two and they have both travelled to a couple of shows/competitions and have been sitting in my display cabinets without incident or damage. Doesn't need nose weight either which may be a contributing factor as there is no extra weight sitting over the nose wheel.

• Like 2

Kit undercarriage is fine. 

In my experience SAC are usually poor copies of the kit parts in white metal that need a lot of clean up. They do have a place though for certain models (Hasegawa F-4s In my experience)

• Like 2

100% agree with other members comments on SAC stuff. Cast in poor quality soft pewter type metal, the stuff actually bends and flexes even whilst trying to remove the seam lines. I have no idea why this range seem so popular as having used it twice now, it was less structurally sound than the kit parts and a total waste of time, effort and money. They are not cheap either.

Bottom line, I would trust Tamiya's engineering over SAC stuff for long term structural integrity ANY day!

Gary

• Like 1

As others have said, wouldn't bother with the SAC landing gear.

In my opinion, the kit is about as good as you'll get OOB. I do like to add some resin seats though, but that's about all it needs without going too far into the aftermarket arena.

• Like 1