Assuming you want to model a Mk4 Merlin, as opposed to one of the interim Mk3i Aircraft; as the Mk3 formed the basis for the Mk4, you are not too far away.

The MK4 Merlin has a "Glass" Cockpit similar to the Mk2, which has 5 large displays and two Touch Screen Displays- these are quite prominent and would need to be considered in 1/48. the Airfix Mk3 has the pre-conversion standard panels.

A Folding Main Rotor Head and Folding Tail, and the fully Articulated Tail Rotor or "ATR" are the other main differences. 

The antenna fit is different and would need looking at. 

No aftermarket is available as far as I am aware, but as the Aircraft will be in service for 20 years, and will regularly deploy on HMS Queen Elizabeth I suspect that may well change.

Cheers,

Troffa

• Like 1

On 28/01/2018 at 8:57 PM, crobinsonh said:

Hi,

What differences are there between the RAF/Airfix HC3 Merlin and a Royal Marine Commando Merlin? Is there any after market to support this?

Thanks,

Grrrrr   :rant: Its a ROYAL NAVY/ FLEET AIR ARM Commando Merlin not Bootneck although better than being called RAF .....with RN clearly painted on the side tho.

Plenty of Bootneck aircrew tho.

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Stealthman said:

I'll be interested to see if Airfix re-relesse this kit in RN form with any modifications required. I must admit the HC4 looks much better in Green than the new RN grey scheme.

I don't I brought the RAF one hoping conversion parts would follow. :(

21 hours ago, Stealthman said:

I'll be interested to see if Airfix re-relesse this kit in RN form with any modifications required. I must admit the HC4 looks much better in Green than the new RN grey scheme.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the merlin mk 4 and 4a will be grey just like the mk2....looks ok ....only not green someone said it was to reconnect with our amphbious heritage....the cynic in me says its cheaper.:dull:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, junglierating said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the merlin mk 4 and 4a will be grey just like the mk2....looks ok ....only not green someone said it was to reconnect with our amphbious heritage....the cynic in me says its cheaper.:dull:

Yes, not sure exactly why the grey scheme has been adopted? Interim HC4s sailed on HMS Ocean last year in the green scheme and looked pretty impressive on her deck with Chinnoks and Apaches

17 hours ago, Stealthman said:

Yes, not sure exactly why the grey scheme has been adopted? Interim HC4s sailed on HMS Ocean last year in the green scheme and looked pretty impressive on her deck with Chinnoks and Apaches

Hmm they would been i mk3s /mk3i depends which way you wanna spin it...interim mk3 with folding(occasionally) head but not folding tails....hence interim 

23 hours ago, junglierating said:

....only not green someone said it was to reconnect with our amphbious heritage....the cynic in me says its cheaper.:dull:

What arrant nonsense.  When in our "amphibious heritage" did the FAA ever have grey assault helicopters (excepting re-roled ASW aircraft in the Falklands)?  I think the cynic in you may be right.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

What arrant nonsense.  When in our "amphibious heritage" did the FAA ever have grey assault helicopters (excepting re-roled ASW aircraft in the Falklands)?  I think the cynic in you may be right.  

Yep, no rational reason for the adoption of an overall grey, although strangely enough we seem to be copying the US Marines, whose Jolly Green Giants, along with just about everything else are now Grey......

36 minutes ago, Plasto said:

Isn’t grey a more generic camo for a number of potential operating environments than say green???

Hmm possibly but since we don't do eagle bases anymore and operate out of a mob then it may as well be sky blue pink....under the current climate I think we should be grateful that we have the RAF's cast offs...but that's another subject.

I think you are probably right plasto ...just right for coming in from the sea on a DS day to launch steely eyed bootnecks and let'em do their stuff .....etc. etc. It could of course be the cheap thing to do...paint or engines ..paint or gearbox .....paint or well you fill in the blanks