Lockheed Hudson Question - PRU Blue

bigbadbadge

Hi all

Firstly, I hope you are all well.  I am sorry but I have been absent for quite a while as I have bee concentrating on doing a Loft conversion and have now completed upstairs and started on the downstairs but have run out of dosh so for the time being I am able to do some modelling on a small workbench I have set up in the lounge. 

I am looking to find out some information on Lockheed Hudson in PRU Blue scheme that flew from St Eval.  I saw the scheme in Scale Aircraft Modelling where that have covered the Hudson however the Serial number seems to be unknown.  I have tried some Google searches and I did see some decals that covered the scheme, but I have gone back a few days later and now cannot see them on there. I have searched here and have seen the overall grey scheme mentioned however I quite fancied doing a PRU Blue machine and then want to make it interesting using filters in oil paints to provide Tonal differences etc.  I have managed to get hold of a Classic Airframes 1/48 kit and would like to use that.

If anyone can give me some pointers or knows of any photos I would be very grateful.

I am currently working on the AZ 1/72 Airspeed Oxford T1 ( Navy ) and may look to start once I have finished that.

Thanks everyone it is good to be back.

All the best

Chris

The scheme was covered on the marvellous old Almark transfer sheet A36 PR Markings Europe, which was researched by Les Whitehouse (so a good research pedigree).

The aircraft is illustrated by a single drawing of the port side and the full caption runs thus: "PRU Blue Hudson, St Eval, 1941 with B Type roundels and large fin flashes on both sides of the fins.  Serial overpainted.  This a/c is fully armed.  Light Slate Grey overall versions existed with both B and A Type roundels in 1940/41."    The aircraft has an oblique camera pointing out of the aftermost cabin window.  It has black deicing boots on wing and fin leading edges.  The base and frames of the turret are black.  The aircraft has very small intakes on top of the engine cowlings and a small DF loop fairing.  The roundels provided for the fuselage sides are 49" B Type, the fin flashes are 27"x24" A Type.  No mention is made of any upper wing roundels: normally where present on an aircraft on this sheet they are mentioned and illustrated.  A peculiarity of this sheet is that the roundel reds were printed in two colours, a very dark red darker than MAP Red and barely distinguishable from the Roundel Blue, the other a much lighter and brighter shade tending towards pink.  I am not sure what these shades were supposed to be but surmise that they were intended to represent the pre-war bright shades and the later MAP Red brick red colour: whatever the truth, the transfer sheet offers this aircraft's markings in the pinkish shade.

Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Seahawk I will see if I can locate one.  Does it mention if it had cameras on both sides or will it just be the one carried ?

Good luck with that: the sheet was issued to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the RAF so 30 years old now.  It sold out more or less as soon as it appeared.  But the very limited markings for this aircraft can easily be found on Xtradecal sheets.

Forgot to say: the front of the fuselage roundel is hard up against the frame of the last cabin window (the one with the camera in it).

Sorry, you have every last word the sheet has to say about this a/c.  Suspect the 1991 SAM will just draw on Les's research.

Thanks Seahawk.  I will look to see if I can use spares that I already have, although I cannot locate a serial number for the aircraft itself at the moment.  The Scale Aircraft modelling article also says unknown serial.  It may be that I either carry on looking for now and hopefully something will turn up or build it without the serial number altogether or build the overall grey one ??? 

All the best
Chris

I missed that in your post.  Been getting up too early for work lately so am very tired of an evening !!! Thats my excuse anyway.  

I know that I am a heathen and I am coming up short on info. Now I know that it was painted over I think I will attempt the PRU blue machine.

Thanks guys 

All the best 

Chris