"Oliver’s Army"… A Trio of Cromwell IV's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Just now, BIG X said:

Is there any chance you could send me some painted samples of what you use for 'tricolour' cammo - for some spoon testing :spoon::D

No problem - I've been using Tamiya colours for german armour.

Will get a sample painted up and out to you asap :lol:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, badger said:

No problem - I've been using Tamiya colours for german armour.

Will get a sample painted up and out to you asap :lol:

Thank you Sir :speak_cool:

Its getting a bit late for that Matt Varnish now - tomorrow night I think - fresh start - clean bench - swift finish - hopefully.

The I'm taking the weekend off - I've got my copy of AMW to read on Saturday morning and I'm off to the Huddersfield model show on Sunday - so the bench will remain 'ready for action' - until I've done some research on KING TIGERS!!!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BIG X said:

I'm off to the Huddersfield model show on Sunday - so the bench will remain 'ready for action' - until I've done some research on KING TIGERS!!!!!!

Enjoy - I used to go to that show with my old club before I moved.

Had some good 1/72 armour bargains from there over the years.

I'll sort you out some reference material on tigers if you'd like?

All the best 

Ben

• Like 2

15 hours ago, badger said:

Enjoy - I used to go to that show with my old club before I moved.

Had some good 1/72 armour bargains from there over the years.

I'll sort you out some reference material on tigers if you'd like?

All the best 

Ben

Shows are a funny thing - as I don't actually know anyone I just tend to pop along / quietly admire the finished work on the club tables / have a quick browse of any kit and book stands - then spend a few bob on 'sundries' before sneaking off home.

Any references would be brilliant - just wait until I start asking loads of daft questions - folk will soon get fed up :lol:

• Like 2

As promised - I have finished the 'real work' - with a matt varnish on all the hulls and turrets.  As you can see from the one on the right - I still can't help - 'slapping it on'...

CROM270.jpg

...how can a matt varnish look that glossy - simple - pour it on with a bucket :lol:

Anyway - whilst waiting for them to dry I had a chance to assess my latest acquisition - 25 aerials - nearly forgot the aerials...

CROM271.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

TBH I just stretch the sprue from vinyl band tracks!  ;)

TBH I just use a pair of scissors on the hand brush... ;)

CROM272.jpg

...Mrs X will kill me when she finds out where I keep 'acquiring' those tiny aerials ;)

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, BIG X said:

Any references would be brilliant - just wait until I start asking loads of daft questions - folk will soon get fed up :lol:

I'll get sorting for you!

• Like 1

I've been test fitting my aerials - but I think they are too long - to scale they are around 8ft...

CROM275.jpg

I  think it's safe to say they need a little chopping back - here are a couple of diagrams from the actual Cromwell manual...

CROM277.jpg

CROM278.jpg

...and here are a couple of real Cromwells....

CROM279.jpg

CROM276.jpg 

I don't have anything in my basic photo software to measure but the blue squares represent the height of the turret - on the model this is 9.9mm - to scale that is 30 inches.

Any guesses on the aerial heights folks...

I have 3 Cromwells and 3 tank commanders - but only 2 open turrets - so someone is getting binned...

CROM280.jpg

...thoughts please - but keep them polite :D

• Like 2

I've been wracking my brains trying to think of what these remind me of - with their extra long aerials...

CROM281.jpg

ah - ha - Garth from Wayne's World...

CROM282.jpg

...Foxy Lady!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ha!

Like the reference - haven't seen that film in a while but used to have the soundtrack on cassette in my old mk2 fiesta!

Random thought is that aerials were 6ft but can't be certain. RB models do metal ones that are 2 metres if that helps.

Rather like all the figures bit if I had to pick I'd go with b and c too.

All the best 

Ben

• Like 2

Time to wrap things up folks.  The aerials are now approximately the same scale as the ‘photo evidence’.  The commanders have been chosen and taken to their tanks and we are ready to roll on a recce mission.

CROM285.jpg

CROM286.jpg

CROM287.jpg

This has been a really fun build and relatively hassle free – for me.  I can’t believe I have finished these in just 2 weeks – that’s a major league record for me.  I hope you’ve enjoyed the fun and I’d like to thank everyone for their help and support - oh and @Mike - for being Mike ;)

@badger @Lawzer @Sgt.Squarehead @fatfingers @Arachnid @FalkeEins @PlaStix @Ratch @Bullbasket @PLC1966 @Corsairfoxfouruncle @Gorby @Kris B @Thud4444

Thanks Guys - Team Hug :grouphug: - Steve

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

• BIG X changed the title to "Oliver’s Army"… A Trio of Cromwell IV's +++COMPLETED+++

Excellent result Steve. If I didn't know their scale I would have assumed they were 1/35. It isn't apparent how small they are without the usual 'money' shot'. :shocked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well done!! 3 tanks in 2 weeks - I haven't finished that many in 2 years!!

At this rate you'll have modelled the entire 11th AD by the end of the year!

:goodjob: :beer:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gorby said:

Excellent result Steve. If I didn't know their scale I would have assumed they were 1/35. It isn't apparent how small they are without the usual 'money' shot'. :shocked:

arrggghh...  The money shot eh - 3 on a 20 quid note - how small is that :lol:

IMG_0890.jpg

...and for Ian - the penny shot - even though he has built his own - so he knows just how small they are...

IMG_0891.jpg

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Superb result fella!  :thumbsup:

So what's next I wonder?  :hmmm:

PS - At your current build rate there's probably still time to squeeze a Sherman or three into the GB.....You would be very welcome.  :coolio:

Thanks Sarge - you were a great help with some top info along the way and that's appreciated.

Up next is 'probably' the Revell King Tiger you recommended - but I need to do some proper research on German armour first.

As for the Sherman GB I would have to ask my mum if I could play with the big boys :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Thanks Sarge - you were a great help with some top info along the way and that's appreciated.

Up next is 'probably' the Revell King Tiger you recommended - but I need to do some proper research on German armour first.

As for the Sherman GB I would have to ask my mum if I could play with the big boys :D

I was going to say you'll need to do something "from t'other side" next 😄

Ps. Is that 20 quid what you have left after the model show? ;)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BIG X said:

She won't mind, it's a dead friendly GB and we all play nicely.....Plus you'll probably learn more about the various sub-types of Sherman (& how best to represent them) in there than you ever would by reading Hunnicutt, it's Sherman Nerd Central!  :nerd:

If you were to grab the Heller kits @badger recommended , I don't doubt you'd be done with them before I am finished with my M4A1s, nobody's built the Heller M4A2 yet, so if you fancy doing a British one (or three) they'd be a unique addition to the GB and I'd be more than happy to supply you with all the extras you would need to Anglicize them.  :coolio:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1