"Oliver’s Army"… A Trio of Cromwell IV's +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

OK - UPDATE 1...

Decaling commenced with the bull / the 45 / the serial number on the back...

CROM221.jpg

OK they all have the same serial - there isn't much I can do about that - but at 1mm x 6mm and after some dirt - you'll never know ;)

CROM222.jpg

serials on the front too - but no bridging weight...

CROM223.jpg

Bulls and 45's on the front too - now back to that bridging plate...

CROM224.jpg

I stuck one here - just for a moment - whilst I  took a photo - as you can see they are pretty big.  I  whipped this one straight off again - BUT - would it be OK there - as it's too big for the front 'bumper'.

The turret was a little 'more fun' - back in a few minutes...

• Like 2

UPDATE 2 - That turret decal...

I have to admit that after looking at that ventilator and seeing that the star is supposed to go over it - I was tempted to follow @Ratch's advice and go for 2NY instead of 15/19KRH - with the star on the back side of the turret and another on the engine doors - an attractive scheme and I have plenty of stars - but in for a penny eh...

So I popped one on - as a test...

CROM225.jpg

and after a LOT of Microsol and microset...

CROM226.jpg 

...I could just see it begin to wrinkle in all the right places - so I went for the other 2...

CROM227.jpg

...by which time the first was looking very promising...

CROM228.jpg

In the end I am pretty pleased - here is a close up...

CROM229.jpg

I think they look pretty 'painted on' - nice decals Airfix :clap2:

• Like 5

UPDATE 3 - last for today...

You may remember last night I came up with the 'genius idea' of painting one of the crew figures black and then in-filling' the other colours...

CROM206.jpg

...well - it didn't work - as I couldn't see the edges :doh:

...but we are here to learn and that's another lesson learned - so here are the guys...

CROM230.jpg

There is a bit of tidying up to do and a brown wash too - but not too shabby - only problem is - I only have 2 open hatches - so someone is going to get 'canned'.

Thanks for looking in as always - Steve

PS - note to self - don't forget to gloss the decals before the washes begin...

Looking good. Decals really add a splash of colour.

Not too sure about the bridging weight on the mudguard - most seem to be down by the serial.

I'll have a hunt around and see if I have some smaller ones for you tonight.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, badger said:

Looking good. Decals really add a splash of colour.

Not too sure about the bridging weight on the mudguard - most seem to be down by the serial.

I'll have a hunt around and see if I have some smaller ones for you tonight.

All the best

Ben

Not to worry Ben - I have plenty of other vehicles in the pipeline that I could use these on - I think I will go 'as is' - 'less is more' as they say.  Something I struggle with when it comes to just about everything in this modelling malarkey...

• Like 1

Evening All - Time for a quick update if your interested...

I didn't get very far at all last night - so I called it quits before I even got really started.  Don't get me wrong - I did a 'bit' but I'm reaching jobs where things need to dry before I can move on.  Today has been better though - I did some this morning / bobbed home at lunchtime / got a bit done before tea and finally for the last hour or so.  All in all I have enonugh for an update - so here we go...

It's time to weather up the tracks - so I gloss varnished them first, but I am beginning to think that the Flory 'Rust' wash is a bit to 'red' for what I want - so I mixed a 'special brew' and here for my future reference is how I did it - in case I want to do it again...

CROM231.jpg

Basically I used 1 x Light / 2 x Sand / 3 x Rust - here are the results after a quick 'knocking back'...

CROM232.jpg

Then I added a bit of a muddy wash...

CROM234.jpg

...again 'knocking it back' with a broad bristly brush and these neat £1 per hundred eye shadow sponges...

CROM235.jpg

here's the finished results...

CROM236.jpg

I'm happy with the results - so I have sealed them with gloss for now and they will get a bit of 'dust' when they are on the tanks and a final 'knocking back' before being finished in a Matt coat.

• Like 2

Next up was 'panel line washing' - I 'm still not good at this - but I keep trying and thankfully the Flory cleans off completely if you want it to - even the next day - or any time until you fix it with varnish - re-assuring for a beginner like me.

CROM237.jpg

There is a fair bit to go at - but we have to start somewhere - here is a before and after...

CROM238.jpg

and all 3 done...

CROM239.jpg

don't panic - the blobs will all wipe off later with the eyeshadow wipes - honest :D

Next up are the wheels and hubs...

CROM240.jpg

CROM241.jpg

then the turrets...

CROM242.jpg

...and finally the hulls...

CROM243.jpg

We are getting there now I think and all of a sudden we will get to that funny point where I go...

'Whoa - it's finished - how did that happen'...

• Like 1

Star decals settled down nicely on the turret. Really struggled with the Revell ones and ended up hand painting a bit of it.

The washes have started bringing the paintwork to life - liking where they are going. Really must try Flory washes as I use non-removable ones so there's no room for error.

Tracks are looking tasty.

Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Last up for tonight was getting the tracks and wheels on...

First job - get the blutak masks off that have been protecting the bare plastic mating faces...

CROM244.jpg

...looks primitive now...

Then it's time for those horrid rear sprockets that @Lawzer warned me about - my tactic - locate the teeth into the track and glue...

CROM245.jpg

CROM246.jpg

...once both sides of the sprockets where aligned with the track and glued to each other - another blob of glue in the back hole was applied and the whole track was pushed on - using the other wheels to make sure everything fits - simples...

CROM247.jpg

Then I  applied the wheel fronts and it looked a little less 'toy like'...

CROM248.jpg

CROM249.jpg

not bad...

That's all for tonight - but before bed I'm going to clean off the excess panel wash and seal with a gloss coat - which can dry overnight.

'FLYING ALONG NOW'...

FLYING.jpg

You can't beat a flying Cromwell - thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 3

Evening Boys...

I did the clean up of the panel wash last night and sealed all the pieces with gloss varnish - so I can apply the mud/dust coat later - without washing the panel lines off.

CROM252.jpg

CROM253.jpg

CROM254.jpg

Then it was time to finally stick the top and bottom bits together - I have been panicking about this a bit - what if they don't fit - or I get glue everywhere.  First off remove the masking tape from the mating surfaces...

CROM250.jpg

CROM251.jpg

ooh nervy...

• Like 2

I did a test fit of the tops and bottoms towards the beginning of the build and things were very 'snug' - and we've added paint since then...

CROM255.jpg

...snug indeed - when pushing the whole thing together there is no need for any glue - except along the leading edge - which you may remember I said was slightly bent upwards.

So a bit of Tamiya extra thin...

CROM256.jpg

oh and a flippin' big clamp on each one...

CROM257.jpg

It worked a treat - but I was left with a small unpainted seam on each...

CROM258.jpg

sorted with a fine brush of 260 followed by gloss varnish...

CROM259.jpg

that's better...

• Like 5

Everything is now ready for the Flory mud / dust coat.  I am putting it on with the airbrush - I couldn't do it with a brush - I'd make a right mess of it.  I just want to mist it on to give the impression of dirt from dusty roads and fields rather than full blown mud.

CROM260.jpg

Here we go then - nowhere to hold it now...

CROM262.jpg

...that's better - now hold your breathe and dust.........   ever so lightly........

CROM263.jpg

CROM264.jpg

CROM265.jpg

...that's one done - best to press on - whilst the airbrush is at just the right 'sweet setting'...

With all 3 done - a quick walkaround to make sure I haven't missed a bit...

CROM266.jpg

CROM268.jpg

CROM267.jpg

CROM269.jpg

I still need to clean a few bits with a wet brush tip - to get them back to where I want them - the machine gun barrel / headlight / extinguishers / spade head / tracks - to bring a bit of silver shimmer back...

• Like 1

That only leaves the turrets - and the crewmen - who seem to have gone A.W.O.L. at present...

CROM261.jpg

CROM270.jpg

CROM271.jpg

CROM272.jpg

CROM273.jpg

So a quick dusting with a brush to smooth things out and it will be time for a final Matt Varnish - which I hope I can get done tonight - when I'm finished here.

As per usual I have 'mentally' already finished and I'm looking forward to my next build - something similar - but different - stay tuned...

• Like 2

OK - here is a little visual clue - can you guess what I'm going to build next from these 3 paints???

CROM274.jpg

...hmmm - could it be...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, badger said:

I'm going to assume something German?

King tiger maybe?

...and the winner is...

CROM275.jpg

...yes you guessed it... :D

I couldn't resist it - after the recommendation - I apologise in advance though - I'm going to have a million questions.  I'll start a new thread - obviously - but to begin with...

Is there any chance you could send me some painted samples of what you use for 'tricolour' cammo - for some spoon testing :spoon::D

• Haha 2