How about a "What makes you happy" thread?

lasermonkey

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

Pies

1 hour ago, MAD STEVE said:

short and too the point.... but I'll bet everyone read it and went, yeaah! :) 

Well of course, who doesn't like a nice pie after all, but I warrant that the term 'pie' means something different to everyone.

I'm quite partial to a nice cherry pie myself. Ooh or an apple pie with a crumble topping!  Pumpkin pie with whipped cream...

You guys are probably thinking of something completly different though...

What sorts of pie are we talking about then?

Doing some 'spring cleaning' today; moved a load of papers from a set of drawers to a plastic storage box. Papers were mostly drawings and artwork my daughter has done for me since she could first draw. She is now 16. Nice looking at all those drawings with their messages on them

I didn't get much else tidied today

• Like 7

Being alive and in decent health.

Being married to my wife (42 years in March).

Spending quality time with my sister and her family in beautiful Bavaria.

A dram in one hand, a good book in the other and a cat on my knee.

Any music by Bach.

A good ride on my motorbike.

Sticking plastic together.

These are just for starters and make me realise how lucky I am to have so much to make me happy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There are many things that can make me happy, but just one stands head and shoulders above the rest......my Grandson. I have a son in his fifties who never married and has no interest in children. My daughter, now 46, always said that she didn't want children either, so I was resigned to the fact that I would never have grandchildren. But after a failed marriage, my daughter met and married a man who was a different person entirely from her previous spouse and low and behold, six years ago, along came my Grandson. Just the words "Hello Granddad" do more for me than a lottery win could do. At the age of 71, playing football over the park with him might be a bit of a strain on the joints, but I'll take that any day.

John.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

There are many things that can make me happy, but just one stands head and shoulders above the rest......my Grandson. I have a son in his fifties who never married and has no interest in children. My daughter, now 46, always said that she didn't want children either, so I was resigned to the fact that I would never have grandchildren. But after a failed marriage, my daughter met and married a man who was a different person entirely from her previous spouse and low and behold, six years ago, along came my Grandson. Just the words "Hello Granddad" do more for me than a lottery win could do. At the age of 71, playing football over the park with him might be a bit of a strain on the joints, but I'll take that any day.

John.

Lucky man!:D

Christin, exiled to africa

• Thanks 1

There's a few more I can think of:

Playing guitar. I've never been technically proficient, but I love playing and have been in a few bands. The biggest gig was probably supporting The Cranberries when they played Bedford, just as Linger went massive. These days I mostly play for my own amusement, creating echoey soundscapes. I also earn something vaguely approximating a living making guitar effect pedals.

The Mrs and I love spending time with a couple who are close friends. I was briefly in a band with the guy, but he became a father for the first time soon after and struggled to find the time and energy to devote to music. We still jam occasionally and he's asked me to play bass on his next album. They really are lovely people.

Their eldest son, who is four and a half years old, has just discovered aeroplanes. Although I didn't encourage it, I can't say I'm displeased! His favourite is the Spitfire, so he's obviously going to turn out just fine. We were treated to a performance of one of his songs, accompanied by dad on guitar, called "Hawkin' like a Hurricane." If you can imagine Sonic Youth being fronted by a four year old, you'd be on the right track.

Finally, getting to Old Warden and spending time amongst those beautiful, old aeroplanes. One of my favourite places on the planet!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

Hmmm, happiness (for me) equals Scotland, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Leeds all losing at football, Scotland losing at rugby union and Australia & Pakistan losing at Cricket!

Said somewhat tongue in cheek except for Scotland and Liverpool losing at football :D

12 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Finally, getting to Old Warden and spending time amongst those beautiful, old aeroplanes. One of my favourite places on the planet!

Ahhhh, :heart: Old Warden :heart:

Me too. Whenever back in Blighty I spend at least a few hours there. The smell of burnt castor oil sets me up for the next X months in exile.

And another; Fairport Conventions Cropredy Convention, billed as England's friendliest folk festival. Have been going since 1986 and have missed just one year, (some oik by the name of Saddam Hussein got in the way....:angry:). Anybody else here go? Cropredy, for me, is a real battery recharger.

Christian, exiled to africa

A large naturally aspirated petrol engine with razor sharp throttle response, low angular inertia and a nice vocal induction and exhaust sound, a proper 3-pedal manual gearbox going through rear wheel drive with a good passive limited slip differential, minimal power assistance to brakes and steering, a fast steering rack, low roll centre, relatively soft springs and passive dampers, low unsprung mass and just the right tyre profile to balance response rate with predictability, all wrapped up in a compact light weight package on a clear rural road is one of very few things that can put a genuine smile on my face.

I miss my Cerbera so much :(

9614075191_d634c01839_b.jpg

I've no idea who's photograph of my car that is - but I recognise that it was taken at a car show at the Grampian Transport Museum at Alford, so I at least know when it was taken.

The new owner has repainted it some gauche candy red sadly. Hopefully I can buy another in the future. It's a shame mine was spoiled though as whilst Cerberas were very rare to begin with (around 2000 built and <900 left), mine was particularly special in being one of very few 4.5 litre cars with a Rolex Blue paint code on the V5 and all matching documents back to original order form. And now it's a nasty candy red  - sigh.

• Sad 1

@Gorby I totally agree! Although there are plenty of downsides to being an insomniac, one of the upsides is that I get to see plenty of sunrises during Spring and Summer. I always open the window and take in the sight and marvel at the dawn chorus, just before I go to bed.

No one does a light show like Mother Nature!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

@Gorby I totally agree! Although there are plenty of downsides to being an insomniac, one of the upsides is that I get to see plenty of sunrises during Spring and Summer. I always open the window and take in the sight and marvel at the dawn chorus, just before I go to bed.

No one does a light show like Mother Nature!

It's another reason I have for being thankful to dogs. I don't see so many sunrises now as my step-son drops their dog off after dawn. But with my old dog I used to get up and take her straight out, and was often rewarded with stunning views to stare in wonder at and often to photograph, although a photo never conveys the full wonder of experiencing it first hand.

Of course it also makes me happy that I'm able to walk without having to dash off to work. :happy:

Mother Nature is the greatest artist as well. I have a minor obsession with leaves (particularly Autumn leaves). Every leaf is a work of art in it's own right, but we are usually too busy to notice...

7d2a2348-8778-48bd-8b70-2e4f483114ac.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

mine was particularly special in being one of very few 4.5 litre cars with a Rolex Blue paint code on the V5 and all matching documents back to original order form. And now it's a nasty candy red  - sigh.

I've got a soft spot for TVRs and that's sacrilege...

Gorby,stunning photo's when i saw the sunset one i thought it was looking down inside a volcano...

• Thanks 2

What makes me happy?

Popping out for a drive.......

gpw_snow12.jpg

Perhaps up for a bit of fresh air.....

ryan03.jpg

and a good still, dark evening out with my telescope taking photos of the sky......

mars2014_12.jpg  jupiter2016_17.jpg

A bit of modelling now and again isn't bad either!! ;-)

• Like 7