Airfix Vulcan

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

Nice Vulcan! One of the most impressive aeroplane designs ever built. I'm seriously contemplating snagging me one off of eBay to replace the one I lost years ago. By the way, does anyone know from firsthand experience if the Wolfpack upgrades sets are worth purchasing?

Regards,

Jason

It depends on the release of the kit. If you can, get an early boxing (blueprint one), then you are ok for the inlets. If you get a later or recent boxing, you will need  inlets. They will be horribly distorted.

Goggsy, smart job, btw!

• Like 2

XM600 was one of the few Vulcans lost where the entire crew got out.  IIRC disintegration of the turbine in number 2 engine started a fire in that engine and the bomb bay immediately; uncontained debris also affected number 1 engine, causing a further fire there.  The fires spread and eventually XM600 became uncontrollable.  The rear crew managed to bail out, followed by the co-pilot.  By this time the aeroplane was in a steep descent and very low.  The pilot also pulled the handle and went out, almost certainly outside the seat envelope.  As the drogue chute deployed the seat and occupant passed between some high tension electricity cables, on which the drogue line snagged.  This caused the seat, still occupied, to swing down, landing upright under the cables.  The pilot simply unsteapped himself from the seat and walked away.  XM600 crashed no great distance from what is now the site of Newark Air Museum; the only easily-recogniseable bits on the periphery of the Impact crater were the ECM cans from the rear fuselage, standing erect in a line leading into the main body of the wreckage.  No-one on the ground was injured.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

It depends on the release of the kit. If you can, get an early boxing (blueprint one), then you are ok for the inlets. If you get a later or recent boxing, you will need  inlets. They will be horribly distorted.

Goggsy, smart job, btw!

Thank you for the answer! I've just ordered an MPC example, so it's pretty old. I'll see how good the mould was when I get the kit. I may need to get me some new intakes and new jet pipes by the sound of it, if nothing else. And some decals to do a version with the wrap-around camouflage. This is starting to get expensive (I knew it would)!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stever219 said:

XM600 was one of the few Vulcans lost where the entire crew got out.  IIRC disintegration of the turbine in number 2 engine started a fire in that engine and the bomb bay immediately; uncontained debris also affected number 1 engine, causing a further fire there.  The fires spread and eventually XM600 became uncontrollable.  The rear crew managed to bail out, followed by the co-pilot.  By this time the aeroplane was in a steep descent and very low.  The pilot also pulled the handle and went out, almost certainly outside the seat envelope.  As the drogue chute deployed the seat and occupant passed between some high tension electricity cables, on which the drogue line snagged.  This caused the seat, still occupied, to swing down, landing upright under the cables.  The pilot simply unsteapped himself from the seat and walked away.  XM600 crashed no great distance from what is now the site of Newark Air Museum; the only easily-recogniseable bits on the periphery of the Impact crater were the ECM cans from the rear fuselage, standing erect in a line leading into the main body of the wreckage.  No-one on the ground was injured.

Nice one, thanks for that. I’d say they were lucky to all get out; I’d hate to try to bale out of one of those things. 

4 hours ago, Learstang said:

Thank you for the answer! I've just ordered an MPC example, so it's pretty old. I'll see how good the mould was when I get the kit. I may need to get me some new intakes and new jet pipes by the sound of it, if nothing else. And some decals to do a version with the wrap-around camouflage. This is starting to get expensive (I knew it would)!

Best Regards,

Jason

Mine was a Vulcan to the Sky version so fairly recent. The fit was gopping, to be fair. I didn’t really have much drama with the intakes but that’s probably because I was mentally prepared for them. The wing to fuselage fit on the other hand....

Nice job.  There's one in my future but I reckon I'll have to put up a new shelf.... My "Model Shelf" is barely deep enough to accommodate a Lanc.  I like the camo livery, too... The anti-radiation white finish lacks the "Proper 'Ard" look a bomber should have... or am I being a bit childish?! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goggsy said:

Mine was a Vulcan to the Sky version so fairly recent. The fit was gopping, to be fair. I didn’t really have much drama with the intakes but that’s probably because I was mentally prepared for them. The wing to fuselage fit on the other hand....

The secret is join the upper wings to the upper fuselage, likewise the lower, then join top to bottom.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The secret is join the upper wings to the upper fuselage, likewise the lower, then join top to bottom.

Cracking tip about the wings, I'll try that on the next Vulcan! 

It doesn't affect the angle does it? I don't want them pointing up too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Pete said:

Nice job.  There's one in my future but I reckon I'll have to put up a new shelf.... My "Model Shelf" is barely deep enough to accommodate a Lanc.  I like the camo livery, too... The anti-radiation white finish lacks the "Proper 'Ard" look a bomber should have... or am I being a bit childish?! ;)

I love both schemes, though I actually think the all white is the coolest. It's just so pure yet sinister, especially when you think why they're that colour. White Victors look the business too.

• Like 1

Great job! The rescribing looks fine to me.

I'm on my 5th Vulcan at the moment.  Doing one for my parents (more specifically my mum, who loves them!).  Doing XH562, as she appeared after a visit to New Zealand.  She had to land at RAF Tengah, for windscreen repairs, and my dad was on the flightline replen team, and got some photos as it came into land, resplendent in it's RNZAF kiwi roundels.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

I love both schemes

I'm not knocking the white finish, as you say it's got its own sinister effect.  I guess it's the cockney sparrer in me... The white finish is posh like a Bond villain but the camo is a teddy boy with razor blades sewn into his lapels!

• Like 1

I think I like that scheme because of the era it represents. As a child of the 70s to me it’s what a “proper” Vulcan looks like.

Fair shout about the wing join, I’ll try that next time. There wasn’t much of a step but there was a hell of a gap, probably because the two halves were misaligned. I could have just pretended to myself it was a Matchbox kit and the gap was just a panel line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, goggsy said:

Nice one, thanks for that. I’d say they were lucky to all get out; I’d hate to try to bale out of one of those things. 

They were.  I think the AEO flew on at least one of the 1982 Black Buck missions.  Having been inside XL360 and XM594 I wouldn't fancy leaving through the crew door either: those blokes must have had nerves of titanium, let alone steel.

I meant to say in my original post that I like what you've done with this old kit: I was lucky enough to be given a pre-loved early example (horrid Palitoy box) for my birthday last month and seeing yours in that colour scheme is increasing the urge to get on and build it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

There is an easier way by building the fuselage as normal, do your intake blending etc while it’s still easy to handle. Then stick the upper wings on. Go front to back and you can eliminate any steps and get it flush and gap free. Once set solid, fit the lower wing and any fettling should be confined to the leading edge. I’ve built one this way and I’d imagine it works a lot easier than trying to glue two massive halves together. I’ll be doing the same on the one I’m currently building. 

@goggsy cracking Vulcan, really nicely done, hopefully mine will come out something like yours

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1