Keeping dust off drying paint?

Anthony Kesterton

I am working in quite a dusty environment, and find it very hard to keep dust off models while the paint dries.  I also find there are often bits of dust that stick to the plastic, in spite of washing and rinsing plastic before any sort of painting.

My current method is to put a plastic tuperware-type box over the top of the model, leaving gaps at the bottom to get some airflow.

I would be very interested in any ideas or advice on how to do this better.

many thanks

anthony

If you work in small room you could try a HEPA filter air purifier. Small ones can be had for as little as £30 and they don't cost a lot to run. Leaving it on for several hours before you start painting should remove a lot of airborne dust particles.

For that matter, if you work in a large room you could try a large HEPA filter air purifier. These cost anything north of £300 though...

• Thanks 1

A mesh splatter guard, often sold in dollar stores to keep the microwave clean, ought to be fine enough to keep the dust out and allow better air circulation than a more closed box. 

And an oldtime suggestion is to paint in the bathroom.  A small room, the door can be closed, and basin or tub full of water will help lay the dust.  If you can't paint there, you might be able to take the piece in there to dry.

Edited by RJP

54 minutes ago, bhouse said:

If you work in small room you could try a HEPA filter air purifier. Small ones can be had for as little as £30 and they don't cost a lot to run. Leaving it on for several hours before you start painting should remove a lot of airborne dust particles.

For that matter, if you work in a large room you could try a large HEPA filter air purifier. These cost anything north of £300 though...

Definitely going to investigate that. Cheers!