Airfix B737-200C Finnair Cargo

Romeo Alpha Yankee

Whilst looking through a book for something else, I came across a picture of TF-ABJ in Finnair Cargo colours looking slightly worse for wear. This sparked a bit of interest for me to find out a bit more of it's history. It was delivered to Wien of Alaska late in 1968 (the year the type first entered service).

Now to the modelling bit: checking photos online seem to show that it has always had the original style slim pylons, as per the Airfix kit.

Dave

Not much photographic progress

I have managed to sand the engines

39758623024_d75298e211_o.jpg

Still need another round of putty.

The fuselage has been sprayed a couple of times and I am fighting some paint runs that mysteriously keep appearing.

• Like 5

It must be a thing at the moment, I needed to do a really small touch up, and ended up with a big run as well, just finished sanding it out, but it's started raining again and I'm not going down the path of painting in really high humidity, like the engine extensions

Hmm..Having read through this thread and in particular the improvements made to the engines , I am wondering aboout mine. I didn't do anything to better them. All I did was fill the windows, door gaps etc some rescribing and build it.

But am impressed by the way members hers are going to town on the Airfix kit. All doing a fine job.

43 minutes ago, stringbag said:

That's a nice finish you have on the fuselage Ray.

Chris.

It was! I managed to stuff it up and have stripped it, attempt 2 in work now. Applying very light coats and building it up slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

Great progress shame u had to respray .....I had to do that a few times with my build to get rid of the pesky gaps

hope to see it done up soon..looking real good

rgds

• Like 1

What was the problem with the wings Ray?  I must admit I hate stripping and repainting and usually try to touch up any problems even if a proper repaint would give a better result.

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

What was the problem with the wings Ray?  I must admit I hate stripping and repainting and usually try to touch up any problems even if a proper repaint would give a better result.

Dave,

It was poor surface prep. When the first coat went on there were far too many scratches and some sort of reaction between the primer (can't recall what I used) and the grey. I gave it a light sand with fine grit sandpaper and reshot. Turned out better but I still missed a part of one of the stabs.

The tape is now off and I have to mask the fin leading edge and corogard setions.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, l I have managed to get the engines sanded and a black base coat on them, now for some masking and metallics to be applied.

Not much else to report, slowing coming out of my modelling rut.

A dusting looking painted engine

41548371352_257e870520_o.jpg

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
Added engine picture
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...