Airfix B737-200C Finnair Cargo

Romeo Alpha Yankee

On 28/01/2018 at 5:37 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

39229965534_19d1615d2a_o.jpg

Hey Ray do you want to sell or swap something for the kit's Ansett decals if you aren't going to use them? 

All of my -200 boxings are old and don't have those decals and if I ever get around to doing a -200 it'll be an Ansett one.

6 hours ago, Rob S said:

Hey Ray do you want to sell or swap something for the kit's Ansett decals if you aren't going to use them? 

All of my -200 boxings are old and don't have those decals and if I ever get around to doing a -200 it'll be an Ansett one.

PM sent Rob

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Never knew AY ever had these planes. Now I'm watching this with interest :popcorn: V-P

I was also interested to find these decals, something different to all those DCs and MDs of the time.

Well its February 3 somewhere, here in fact so I have started.

I thought I would have a go at rescribing, made a few woopsies but overall not too bad. Looks like the picture I took of my efforts disappeared off the camera between taking the images and uploading them to the PC!(which may have been about an hour)

So I then filled the cabin windows since I will be using window decals, I usually fill them from the inside but the CA glue I have seems to be too thin for that. SO I backed the openings with tape and have used Tamiya putty.

40049512041_f0f3a9cf32_o.jpg

Then I turned my attention to the doors

40016627092_9fb3ffbdac_o.jpg

A bit of flash to clean up, and then they were installed

40049511761_cd0d334b10_o.jpg

One thing to note with the Airfix instructions is that they have mixed up the numbers for the rear doors. Number 3 goes on the left side and 4 goes on the right. They were a good fit after a little sanding. the baggage compartment doors not so and will require some filling later.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, CliffB said:

An interesting choice Ray :popcorn:

Was there any special provision on the 200C for dealing with freight (for example a cargo door)?

Cliff

Yes Cliff, this version has the forward cargo door. the decal sheet has a decal for it so I don't have to bother scribing one!

• Like 1

As I battle on with this one...

Checking if nose weight required....yep!

28330776029_79a71d8494_o.jpg

This much

25239496887_80645d11e3_o.jpg

Bit of an issue with the APU exhaust area

28330775059_92ab9160ea_o.jpg

Sorted

28330774839_637f2a88af_o.jpg

Some putty for the windscreen

25239495707_48a1df5d15_o.jpg

Nice Braz engines

28330774959_0b58fc9f01_o.jpg

Main assemblies together with some attention to the misshaped windscreen

25239495477_77b9699b36_o.jpg

and some more putty for a second attempt at reshaping

28330774829_800028c5dc_o.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Ray.

Funnily enough, I was talking with Viking the other night about the Braz engines and it was pointed out to me that they are far too short for the -200Adv. Looking again at my set, they are the same length as those supplied in the Airfix kit, but they do address the wider pylon problem.

Have a look at one of John's earlier -200 builds to see how to modify the Airfix engines. I'm sure you will agree, they look far better than the Braz items.  Alternatively, you could consider the magnificent resin engines from Authentic Airliners.

Hope I haven't posted too late with the info.

Chris.

1 hour ago, stringbag said:

Hello Ray.

Funnily enough, I was talking with Viking the other night about the Braz engines and it was pointed out to me that they are far too short for the -200Adv. Looking again at my set, they are the same length as those supplied in the Airfix kit, but they do address the wider pylon problem.

Have a look at one of John's earlier -200 builds to see how to modify the Airfix engines. I'm sure you will agree, they look far better than the Braz items.  Alternatively, you could consider the magnificent resin engines from Authentic Airliners.

Hope I haven't posted too late with the info.

Chris.

Chris,

Engines are not fitted yet.

I saw John's link to the older -200 build and did notice my Braz engines were the same length as the kit ones. I was considering the surgery options. Perhaps I might chop up and shim the Braz engine. I have a week off at the coast and away from the internet so I might see if I have time to modify them then.

12 hours ago, Lex77 said:

Nice work!
Got one of these in the stash to be build sometime.

The BraZ engines are they a big improvement over the kit ones?

Lex, They have better pylon shape, but represent early (shorter) engines. They are devoid of any scribed detail, and the mating section to the wing needs a lot of material removed to get it to fit the wing nicely.

There is a bit more info in this post Here  about how I started improving the Airfix engines. Hope it helps.

John

The key part from it is below;

In a related note, I have been building an Airfix 737-200 and decided to fix its engines.
All I knew was that they are too short and have too skinny pylons for all but the very earliest 737's built. Everyone on the web seems to have an opinion, but no other solution than to buy a set of Authentic Airliners resin replacements. So I though I would have a go myself, I have several of the kits and can't justify buying loads of aftermarket engines for them all.

Using my Authentic Airliners model as a reference I cut the rear part off and used an old bomb to lengthen them by about 4mm. Milliput was then run around the 'extension' and sanded flush.
Engine1.jpg

So far so good.Is the extension the correct length? Compared to the AA kit;
Engine2.jpg

Then I needed to fatten the pylons. Some 20 thou plasticard takes care of that

Engine3.jpg

Filled with Milliput and sanded to shape;
Engine4.jpg

Engine5.jpg

Test fitted to check overall appearance

Engine6.jpg

Engine7.jpg

Engines are now primed with Halfords grey plastic primer, ready to go on the model.

Engine13.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For all my Airfix 737 builds I now use Johns method of extension. I haven't got round to modifying the pylons but always extend the engines. The first time I placed a set of lengthened engines next to the older Airfix ones was quite an eye opener!!

Jeff