Matchbox 1/72 Hawker Hunter T.7 'Blue Diamonds'

On 1/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, jean said:

Absolutely fantastic! And it allowed me to verify that my new sunglasses are actually working fine.

The enhancements you made on the kit are just right; the wheel wells are actually a must on all these old kits.

Congrats.

JR

Yes blue, aagh blue! But brilliant, no really brilliant. Absolutely love it though.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,  the 92 Squadron Hunter you have modelled was based just 30 miles down the road from here in Scarborough at RAF Leconfield and probably howled its way over our house in 1962. RAF Leconfield was an attractive base in lovely East Yorkshire countryside and I remember seeing the Lightnings there in the 1970s when it was a Maintenance Unit.

a03d3739-acdf-451e-853d-d1e747c215f7.jpg

Those wonderful colourful days on the Leconfield apron in the early 1960s with 92 Squadron Lightning F Mk 2 s behind.

resized_ec0d9967-6d58-4e5c-a3e6-6393ed21

Your 92 Squadron Hunter would look good with my 92 Squadron Lightning F2.

I remember when the first Matchbox kits appeared in Andersons Newsagents in Whitby in 1973. The artwork on the boxes was horrible and amateurish and the choice of plastic colours could be truly awful. My first one was the Gloster Gladiator moulded in bright red and cream plastics ( ugh ) but the quality of the moulding and the fabric effect was amazing and it went together easily with precision. The decals were damn good too. I was hooked. A Boeing biplane fighter for my brother soon followed and then the fabulous Lysander for myself. Every Matchbox model that I have built has been a delight to build and it is great to see them still getting an airing.  Which reminds me that I must continue with my green/brown/black Heyford as soon as I clear my work bench of the current project.

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 2

Morning Adey, 

Just woken up, so sipping on my first cup of coffee before I start my routine for the day. Now I’m a serial pest for looking at BM post images first before reading any text so was honestly taken back when I read that that superb image of the F.2 Lightning was actually your 1/72 model! Wow - that looks just fantastic and although I agree that my Hunter and your Frightening would look great parked together, I think my rendition would just appear a bit toy like in comparison. 

Overall though, thanks for the kind words and contributing to this RFI thread. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 2

Very nice result, Dave, and one of my favourite specific aircraft. I live 5 minutes up the road from where the Blue Diamonds were based, I used to fly from the same airfield, I occasionally admire the 'Blue Diamonds' T7 at Elvington and I have a 1/32 Revell F6 in the same scheme that has languished unfinished in a cupboard for the last few years (note to self: extract digit...). That blue looks superb on a military aircraft. 

I was also weaned on Matchbox models in the '80s, but I never had a go at this one. Good effort.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...