Printing decals

Josecolme

I'm planning on printing my own decals for a dutch caribbean airlines dc-9. I have an issue with the tail logo. The main surface is red and the design is bright yellow. I can't use white decal paper  as it would be impossible to cut out the design perfectly, and the trabsparent paper is too translucent and changes the yellow color. Does anybody have any suggestions to get the colors right?

Thanks14399_1059945846.jpg

Option 1: Print several copies of the yellow logo for each side and apply them layer-upon-layer until the opacity improves.

Option 2: Get a screen-printed white copy of the logo to use under the yellow one.

Option 3: Include the red tail area in your decal. (you may have to experiment to match the red to the rest of the livery)

You can use the white decal paper, just add a very small red outline to the yellow logo, enough to be able to trim around it without ruining the yellow. Once applied onto a red area (you'll have to paint the tail red) you won't see the red outline and it will look perfect. Did the same on this Yamaha logo on the bellypan. White paper with a red outline.

https://imgur.com/a/mjwMP

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

You can use the white decal paper, just add a very small red outline to the yellow logo, enough to be able to trim around it without ruining the yellow. Once applied onto a red area (you'll have to paint the tail red) you won't see the red outline and it will look perfect.

I heartily agree Steve's suggestion is likely the easist, with one addendum: the 'cut' edge of the white decal stock beneath may need a bit of touch-up, lest it show in contrast against the red background. This touch-up is often more-easily-managed before application, rather than once the decal is in place.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...