Kurt Wolff's Dr.I - colors and camouflage querries

warhawk

Hello,

I would like to hear Your opinions on the accuracy of this profile from Eduard instructions.

The drawing depicts Kurt Wolff's Dr.I No.102/17: 

28153175869_e1785f8a3c_o.jpg

1. How accurate is the depiction of red nose and wheel hubs, and was it possible at any given time during Wolff's use of this machine?
  2. How and where was the "streaky" camouflage applied (i.e. at the factory or at the front?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by warhawk

The Fokker streaked factory applied finish is well documented and you will find many references to it and discussions of it's execution on the internet. As to the designation of this particular aircraft, If you look at the serial on the side of it it says Fok. FI 102/17 rather than Dr.1. This aircraft was one of only three F.I's. One was tested to destruction (FI 101/17), one was flown by Werner Voss (FI 103/17) and this one was flown by Mannfred Von Richthofen who then decided to return to flying his Albatros at which point Kurt Wolff flew it. After the three aircraft detailed, a number of modifications were made that are well detailed around the internet and the modified aircraft was designated as a Dr.1 from then on.

• Like 3

Mine was not supposed to be a quote, it just came out that way. Try and get hold of Paul Leaman's excellent book on the DR1, there are photos of this aeroplane, including one showing the curved leading edge on the tailplane

Beardie's spot on with  this. I think the Edurad F1 kit you've got does have the vertical stabiliser with the curved leading edge as it was on F102/17 and F103/17 walthough the instructions don't seem to suggest this should be fitted for these 2 early versions, perhaps because the instructions derive from Eduard's Dr1 kit where this would have been innacurate. When I first looked at the F1 kit, I was surprised that Eduard hadn't reproduced the slightly different cowling structure that these first 2 a/c had. There are some drawings of the differences in Paul Leaman's book but if you can't get it, I can perhaps let you have this drawing if you're planning to make this an authentic F1. Let me know, although I'm having a problem with Flickr at the moment.

Paul

Thanks for the info, Paul.

I am not building the Eduard model, but refurbishing my father's already-built Dr.I from Revell in 1/28th.

102/17 were the spare decals donated from a fellow modeller (who will do the other one from his box - Richthofen's all-red mount)

Edited by warhawk

One more question about the camouflage, because I keep coming up across conflicting data.

What was the base color for upper camouflage (under the green streaks) - sand (i.e. unpainted fabric?) or light blue?

Edited by warhawk

• 1 month later...