My Comfort build, Academy F-4C Phantom, ANG California 1985?

I have NOT started yet another kit. I'm just dryfitting some parts. Honest!

Since winter is stopping me from painting anything, and the Sea Vixen wings are still missing, I just started to fondle with this
28133241319_404cb0caf9_o.jpg

And there's a lot of plastic in there. But plastic is nice, but not enough nice so I have sort of gone a wee bit overboard with AM-stuff...

39913250861_9ed94aceba_o.jpg

I wonder if that's enough?
Maybe I need some Master Pitot tubes, and Eduard Airbrake set too?

Anyway, Vietnam Phantoms are a bit boring to my eyes, but I found thus lovely set!
28133240429_ab1c59b2e2_o.jpg

Let's do a Euro-1 wraparound bird then! But which one?
TAC:s oldest Phantom?
39913250611_59eac88b6d_o.jpg

California ANG?
28133240199_17af4ea352_o.jpg

SCAT XXVII?
39913250521_e81697600a_o.jpg
(actually the same aircraft as in the Academy box, but some 15 year s later)

Right now I'm leaning towards California, since the it looks both grean and mean, but not tricked out like TAC:s oldest phantom.
Also note a complete absence of sharkmouths, and anything british.
Quite unusual for me!

There is just one thing that's nagging me right now
39014373385_89e217ee36_o.jpg
There's quite a few stencils...
39014373325_deb719917f_o.jpg
Actually, there's millions of them

:hypnotised:

Edited by Christer A
  • Like 8

Thanks Guys!

Yep, Col. Olds sure is a legend and that Aircraft is still a contender, but decalling is probably a year away so I still have time to make up my mind :smile:

I've said that I will not glue any parts together, but that wont stop my from lots and lots of dry fitting and similar test runs. After all, there's quite a lot of resin to get into place...

Let's start with something that could potentially lead to trouble then, like the Aires wheel wells.

25058345667_bdfac81f8b_o.jpg

As with my Sea Vixen, the resin pour gates were located on the side and not on the top of the main wells which actually makes it quite thin, and should in theory be possible to install with little to no fettling of the kit parts. Well?

I can say that with some small sanding on the sides it the well this is true.

28149544999_82f45e5137_o.jpg

I did slightly enlarge the cutout in the fuselage since the Aires part is a little wider than the plastic ones, but other than that, the fit is great!

Amazing!

Looking into the well from the other side we can see that the landing gear fits as well.

25058344037_8b901f7eea_o.jpg

The thing here is to come up with a way to attach the landing gear after main painting, since the attachment points in the well are larger than the opening in the wing. Rumour has it that it is possible anyhow, but for now I think i can just brute force it in place.

Looking towards the front, the nose gear wheel is just lovely!

25058345627_82ff36841b_o.jpg

However, that well needs to co-exist with the Aires cockpit...

28149544659_ff5db8a44b_o.jpg

My guess is that I have atleast 10mm of resin to get rid of here:worry:

Time to order a different razor saw I think, because my current one can just handle 5 mm thickness.

Ok, so to get the nose well in place I need to have the Cockpit in place

25058344417_9e7c703735_o.jpg

This should prove interesting.

The part goes all the way to the rear wall and even further.

I wonder what I need to remove from the cockpit/fuselage to get this into place?

Stay tuned!

• Like 3

On 01/27/2018 at 2:18 PM, Christer A said:

I have NOT started yet another kit. I'm just dryfitting some parts. Honest!

You've got to get past this state of denial. You're among friends here: you can freely admit you have a problem.... :D

But seriously...looks like an awesome project! Will be following with rapt interest....

• Haha 2

While waiting for the saw to arrive, I started to look into how the resin pit will fit into the plastic

25058343857_df3080020c_o.jpg

It's a bit scary to cut away perfectly formed plastic like this, but I'm quite sure that I need to do something about the rear deck.

The question is, should the resin piece just mate to the underside of the plastic, or should I cut away the plastic canopy hinges too, and have the resin sticking out?

Any ideas?

• Like 3

It seems that I've caught a man-cold:angel:

Since I can't go to work I'll just hang back and take it easy, but the mood is lifted a little by the arrival of these saws.

39105524205_284f19af71_o.jpg
Let's get cutting!
39293681814_40f2a4de03_o.jpg
Well, that certainly made quite a lot of sawdust, but they're quite large atleast.

I went too close on the front cockpit though so there is a tiny hole there, hopefully it will not be visible later on.

39293682024_1f7f165146_o.jpg
After some extra sanding here and there I got something that's close to fitting in the fuselage with some brute force added.
39105523475_2122a3c6be_o.jpg
It's VERY tight fit between the tub and the nose gear bay!

But once the bay is secured to the bottom piece I think the needed space for the tub should improve.

I do have a nagging suspicion that side cockpit sidewalls might turn everything to the brink of disaster though...

Let's have a look at the rear end instead.
39105524545_3efb3618d0_o.jpg
This is exactly like Eduards old adverts, "Nice tight fit"

I wonder if one can fit the burner cans afterwards?

39293682124_196c0b14a2_o.jpg
Yeah!

Ok, that should help with painting.

Time to look into those pesky cockpit sidewalls then.

And maybe glue the nose wheel bay in place...

• Like 3

I'm still steeling myself for going back to the cockpit, so instead I focus on some simpler topics...

Like the airbrakes!

Eduards etch were very easy to work with, just a few big parts really.
The bay itself recievs a large piece of etch, that was just glued in place.
40198987841_76d453c2ab_o.jpg
The brakes themselves has a few naste ejector pin marks, but those are completely covered by brass!
40165985842_7c76a5a489_o.jpg
40198987751_b3bb49e8f4_o.jpg
Very handy!
Then I took a leap of faith and attached everthing to the wing.
40198987601_884acab2f8_o.jpg
40165985262_3f7e2516ef_o.jpg
I wonder what I forgot in the rush...

Yeah, so I haven't painted anything yet, but my paint booth is inaccsessible until the temperature creeps above 5 degrees or so, and it looks like this blasted cold will stay fort atleast a week more.

Typical!

• Like 2

Welcome aboard David.

I can see why a California ANG tickles your fancy :smile:!

Is there any chance that you've petted one up close?

Brass landing gear would be interesting, but I don't really think they're necessary. Phantom legs appear quite sturdy which isn't that strange considering carrier landings.

Can't really see if G factor has made any brass legs either and after my 1/24 Typhoon I won't touch SAC:s white "metal" legs for anything larger than a 1/72 mustang.

[Jedi handwave]

Plastic will be enough.

[/Jedi handwave]

Hello Christer !

Good choice indeed !

I have that same kit, is this stunning ?

I will do the Col Olds sled in Viet Nam camo...

I collect the différents and most significative A:C of both Olds and Yeager...

Very tidy work on the resin insert, I did have a bit more of a problem with My resin parts for the F-4B...

The Wheel bay has been recreated from scratch... Loads of swearing, believe me !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Just wondering, were all those stencils repainted on these when they were repainted during refurbs etc?

Hello ,

I know that the mechanics are crazy since I'm one myself:huh:

No, definitely No, they are not that crazy, they are repainted only partially... Look at any Phantom...

There are lots of stencils but not so much...

Sincerely.

CC

6 hours ago, Christer A said:

A very good question!

The Caracal sheet does contain stencils, but not any ridiculous amounts like the Academy stock sheet

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48038.html

A 1970s-1980s ANG Phantom will definitely not have all of the hundreds of stencils as applied to early, fresh-out-of-factory 1960s jets. By the time that these airframes reached the ANG units, there were very few stencils left that were regularly applied. The Caracal ANG F-4C/D sheets are intended for late 1970s/1980s ANG jets and only have the stencils that were commonly seen on jets of this period.  

Edited by CaracalModels
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Christer !

Good choice indeed !

I have that same kit, is this stunning ?

I will do the Col Olds sled in Viet Nam camo...

I collect the différents and most significative A:C of both Olds and Yeager...

Very tidy work on the resin insert, I did have a bit more of a problem with My resin parts for the F-4B...

The Wheel bay has been recreated from scratch... Loads of swearing, believe me !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Hi CC, glad that you could join!

It's a fine kit, no doubt. It doesn't really need any extras, but it all part of the fun to add them all!

I must've been extra lucky, since both the wheel wells here and on my Sea Vixen were trouble free.

1 hour ago, CaracalModels said:

A 1970s-1980s ANG Phantom will definitely not have all of the hundreds of stencils as applied to early, fresh-out-of-factory 1960s jets. By the time that these airframes reached the ANG units, there were very few stencils left that were regularly applied. The Caracal ANG F-4C/D sheets are intended for late 1970s/1980s ANG jets and only have the stencils that were commonly seen on jets of this period.  

Thank you so much for this info @CaracalModels

I'll do my very best with your stencils later on, and will happily forget those 500 or so Academy ones...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Christer A said:

It's a fine kit, no doubt. It doesn't really need any extras, but it all part of the fun to add them all!

...well, except for the bits that are wrong of course...

ooops, that slipped out, I haven't said anything...:lalala:

• Haha 2