Arlo's first build.

First things first, I should introduce Arlo. He is my 7 year old son who loves cars, cars and more cars! However in the run up to Christmas he spotted Airfix's Cromwell starter set (along with the HMS Victory), at Aldi and popped them on his list for Father Christmas. Arlo will be doing most of the build himself, with a little guidance and help (with the fiddly bits) from me. So here goes.........

DSC_2687

The kit comes with 2 detailed sprues (with little or no flash), a tiny decal sheet, paint, cement and brush (although I'm planning to introduce Arlo to my old airbrush!). Arlo began by removing the Base and sides of the tank from the sprue, and gluing them together (I wiped off the access glue). 

DSC_2689

DSC_2691

Once secure he then attached the smaller front and back pieces.

DSC_2692

DSC_2693

He has now left the glue to dry, the next step requires fixing the tracks in place, we have decided he needs to paint all these pieces before building them. That's it for now, (remember Arlo is only 7, but is really enjoying the build so far.) Thanks. 

• Like 11

This afternoon Arlo set to work painting the tracks and wheels. He decided he wanted to brush paint these rather than try the airbrush. 

DSC_2705

DSC_2706

DSC_2707

While we left these to dry, I set up my old airbrush, mixed a little Humbrol 159 with some flow improver and let Arlo loose. He was nervous to start with, but he really impressed me, and managed to paint the Base of the tank.

DSC_2709

These are now drying in the modelling cupboard, while Arlo gets some well earned rest. So far he's doing good!

• Like 12

After school today Arlo was extremely eager to crack on with the build,  so we took a look at the track assembly. Carefully Arlo cut the wheels and cogs  from the sprue, and pushed the inside row into place. 

DSC_2718

Once both sides were done, Arlo lay the track over them and began glueing the outer wheels into place, this was very fiddly, but just the job for a 7 year old.

DSC_2719

DSC_2720

arlo then turned his attention to the next stage, fixing the top, and front sections of the tanks body into place. Here I explained the importance of dry fitting before applying the glue. 

DSC_2722

DSC_2723

Thats all for now folks!

• Like 9

Arlo has been working steadily on the tank, yesterday adding the ultra fiddly hooks, one of which succumbed to the carpet monster. Leaving these to dry over night, we again began work after school tody. Arlo carefully removed parts from the sprue, and has added the side skirts, steps, and panels to the side of the tank. He's doing a sterling job and seems to be enjoying it a lot.

DSC_2725

DSC_2726DSC_2727DSC_2728DSC_2729

• Like 8

Quick update on today's progress. Arlo has begun to build the turret and gun, this proved rather more tricky than it looks on paper, but after a quick disassembly it all fell into place.

DSC_2731

A little Tamiya tape to keep it together, and it was on to the hatch for the top of the turret.  Arlo decided he wanted it doors open, and after cutting the doors free from the sprue, together we managed to get them glued into place.

DSC_2733

Arlo has now left these to set, evening all.

• Like 11

Well done indeed, those hatch parts have had a few adult modellers cussing over the years.....Do you have a tank commander figure in your stash?  If not ping me a PM, I'd be glad to donate one to such an excellent project (I have a spare hook if you need it too, just let me know the part number).  :coolio:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Arlo has been back to the build today after a busy weekend. He had reached the painting stage, so I set up the airbrush for him and mixed up some paint and set him loose. 

DSC_2753

DSC_2752

He is now leaving them to dry and may add a final coat to the tank body tomorrow. Not bad for his second time airbrushing. 

• Like 7

On 05/02/2018 at 07:59, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Well done indeed, those hatch parts have had a few adult modellers cussing over the years.....Do you have a tank commander figure in your stash?  If not ping me a PM, I'd be glad to donate one to such an excellent project (I have a spare hook if you need it too, just let me know the part number).  :coolio:

Hi Sgt.Squarehead,

We don't have a tank commander in our stash and Arlo would love one!

Thanks,

Michelle. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...