1:35 Scammell Pioneer Recovery + 15 CWT CMP recovery diorama

Kallisti

Doing washes now to dirty things up, first layer is enamel washes, a mix of Mig Dark wash and Mud spaltters to givesome emphasis to details without making it too dark

DSC_0016.JPG

Since this was taken I've changed my mind about the colour of the seats so they are getting repainted as a sort of canvas colour

DSC_0019.JPG

Dirtyiing up the well travelled areas of the rear deck

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

Hand winch has been painted up with details

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

Engine has finally been added - I haven't put too much work into this as it will be hidden, too much else going on in the diorama to worry about detailing the engine. I need to repaint that exhaust - its totally the wrong colour!

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

Finally some other details

DSC_0028.JPG

As of last night, the cab and engine panels have been attached to the chassis, so assembly is finally taking place, although the next stage is going to be the clay-based washes, so the cab rear and roof have been left off for now. More later today i expect :)

• Like 5

Big progress yesterday, we have wheels on...

DSC_0029.JPG

The winch cable from the drum has been glued in and allowed to extend out the back.

DSC_0030.JPG

I'm wondering if I haven't overdone it with the clay wash to represent the sand? You can see here the windscreen has been masked to represent the wiper area while the rest has been give a coat of XF-86 flat clear varnish, which once dry was then given a clay-based wash to get the dirt on there. You can also see the repainted seats and the rear of the cab has now been attached and also has dirty windows.

DSC_0031.JPG

The jib has been attached and the chain added that allows the jib to be extended. This is a failure of the IBG kit as it does not include the chain or any reference to it, even though it has the winch mechanism for it on top of the job! Thankfully there are plenty of reference materials to allow this to be fixed.

DSC_0032.JPG

Now its fixed on the chassis - this is a non-trivial exercise as the locating tabs are small and inacessible. Here is the job chain in more detail

DSC_0033.JPG

The steps allowing access to the deck

DSC_0034.JPG

The windscreen clear of masking but yet to have the wipers added

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0037.JPG

Finally, a first look at the vehicles in approximate positions

DSC_0039.JPG

Hmm, not really enough space for the Scammell to manoeuvre easily. 

I've also been working on the driver figure, but he will need a bit of work with the dremel as when sat on the driver seat his feet don't touch the floor! I can sympathise with that being a bit of a shortar... person, but this is ridiculous :) More on the figures, tools and other set decorations during the rest of this week... time is getting tight, this needs to be finished for the club meeting next Monday evening! :)

• Like 6

Just in time, these bits arrived yesterday

DSC_0043.JPG

This set of REME bits is so much better than the Accurate Armour set I originally had, the casting is much better, there are more bit and they include some information about what the hells these things are! They also have some open stowage boxes with stuff in them - lovely!

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

The flimsises also look good as some come in crates and some are dented and bent out of shape!

Wednesday evening was spent matching arms to figures and realising that there were at the same time too many arms and not enough! Not enough arms that made sensible poses and too many of the wrong arms! In the end most got matched up and heads got glued on .Still more painting needed but it seemed an appropriate time to try out where all the figures should be posed on the base. After some switching around, this seems to be the most interesting arrangement

DSC_0040.JPG

You can see there driver in this one

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0042.JPG

This evening I intend to continue painting figures, washing and detailing them, along with some flimsies and REME tools over the weekend...

• Like 4

Heading towards the finish line now, work one on the REME tools and flimsies

DSC_0049_001.JPG

There are some really nice pieces in this REME set, the casting is superb and the stowage boxes are lovely. Work has progressed on the figures as well. Belts and clothing features have been painted and they've all been given a light mud splatter wash to give some definition to the creases and folds of the clothes, as well as some character to the faces. I've not spent a huge amount of time on them all adding highlights to the clothing and faces, just a very light touch on the eyes and lips, with traces of hair around the hat line where required.

I've tried to be careful with the eyes and not make them goggle-eyed - the photo shows the whites up a bit more prominently than they look in real life. I've been trying to learn from better figure painters and from observation in real life and its not easy to see "the whites of their eyes", so I've kept it to an absolute minimum. The two smokers have had their cigarettes picked out and shoes muddied as well.

DSC_0050.JPG

Next stage will be the final assembly of all the components... should be exciting!!!

So finally it is complete! I've had to sort out a new box to transport it in to the model club as its too tall for most of my other boxes! Its remarkably light simply because most of it is built on a polystyrene base.

DSC_0072.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

DSC_0080.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_0076.JPG

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0051.JPG

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

Its been a complicated build but considering I lost 2 weeks in the middle due to the lurgy, its come together well, and at just the right time as its due to be entered into the Farnborough Member's Trophy competition this evening!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 6