Spitfire Mk 24 80 Squadron RAF

Hi,

Finally found time to take some photos of my models today. This one is the earliest of them. It's an Airfix Mk 22 modified to a Mk 24. Help form a number of guys here especially Cookie regarding using parts from the Special Hobby kits for the props and rocket stubs. The plane is from 80 Squadron based at Kai Tak, Hong Kong in 1950.

As well as the Special Hobby parts, I replaced the short cannon barrels with Master brass barrels. I also replaced the windscreen and canopy with ones from an Eduard Mk XVI as the Airfix ones were a bit soft in plastic and didn't polish well at all after removing from the sprue stub. The markings are from Xtradecal.

Australian_Open_2018_Paul_Vivian_074.jpg

Australian_Open_2018_Paul_Vivian_073.jpg

Australian_Open_2018_Paul_Vivian_075.jpg

Regards

Michael

Edited by Michael louey
Postimage issues
  • Like 54

great looking build, and good choice in scheme. I take it that being based in Hong Kong in 1950 when we were fighting a "hot" war with China in Korea must have been a worrying time. Can anyone shed light on the black & white stripes -are they a copy(?) of the FAA machines fighting along the coast?

• Like 1

Hi Ignacio

The Spitfire is 1/72. I really only model in this scale so I sometimes forget to mention it. Saying that, I'm currently working on a 1/144 airliner!

Hi Cybershed

I grabbed one of my references by philedition. It says top speed is 454mph at 26,000 feet for the mark.

Fight's On

While looking at the Philedition book I found this quote

"B&W bands. They were introduced after the Korean War had begun in case 80 squadron had to be sent at short notice under the UN banner,  but this never happened "

Regards 

Michael 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 4:20 PM, cybershed said:

Great modelling. It looks both beautiful and formidable. 

Any idea of the top speed of this variant?

454 MPH according to the Wikipedia article on the Griffon Spitfires, climb to 30000 feet in 8 mins.

Oh, Michael louey got there first!

Edited by JosephLalor