February 2018 Scale Aviation Modelling

Whofan

Reading the latest print February 2018 issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling and got to page 64 and started reading the build review of a Revel He 219, to be slightly confused by references to a build of an ICM  Do 17, especially as the pictures were of an He 219.

The whole 2 page review is definitely of the Do 17, not the He 219.

Hopefully next month it will be corrected ;)

Proof reading is harder than it looks - actually a complete change out like that is the hardest to catch; I read the article several time s, looking carefully at the pictures to try to identify a particular item, before realising what was going on. Doh ! 

On one project I worked on, a major document had a complete section from another project inadvertently dropped in.  It took several weeks before anyone queried the discrepancy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2018 at 7:49 PM, John B (Sc) said:

Proof reading is harder than it looks - actually a complete change out like that is the hardest to catch; I read the article several time s, looking carefully at the pictures to try to identify a particular item, before realising what was going on. Doh ! 

On one project I worked on, a major document had a complete section from another project inadvertently dropped in.  It took several weeks before anyone queried the discrepancy.

In my day job I do a lot of technical report writing as well as tendering and can well relate to your observations.

Spotting spelling mistakes and formatting etc is very easy because it looks wrong. When someone has swapped an entire high quality piece out for another it's much harder as the brain isn't looking at context, only for errors on a small level.

To catch the big stuff it needs people sat round a table doing a conscious cross-referencing check item by item with someone taking notes for a document of any mentionable size and scope.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2018 at 7:49 PM, John B (Sc) said:

Proof-reading is hard work but some magazines won't pay a fair rate for it to be done. In this case it seems the editor has dropped the ball. Proof reading is usually only the text. It used to come on long rolls with wide margins that you noted corrections in, these were galley proofs (hence galley slave) nowadays called uncorrected proofs and mostly electronic. If a technical proof referred to pictures they were included as the reader then checks cross reference (and the price goes up). Seems like the text has been 'proofed' by a document program and then the editor has stuffed the wrong photos in.

Frankly it's shoddy work and done in the cause of greed. Overwork is no excuse as that's down to greed too. However as long as enough people buy these magazines full of advertorial content and different versions of advertisements they'll still be produced.

A couple of years ago I went through a years worth of one magazine and found 20ish pages of useful stuff, that is the kit is great except here, here, and here and this is what you can do about it. Subscription cancelled and I've brought exactly two copies since.

Final bit: I worked a lot in distribution and most industries have trade magazines full of advertising and advertorial content They are free and paid for by selling the space. Too many model magazines are getting the same way and then having the cheek to charge you for it.

The March 2018 SAMI article on the Airfix  Walrus  is in 1/48th  scale not 1/72nd. A nice article spoilt by lack of proof reading !! 

Looks like we could do with some proof reading on this thread........

The thread title says 'February 2018 Scale AVIATION Modelling' - when the first post mentions Scale AIRCRAFT Modelling

Then we have posts about SAMI - but that gets used in subsequent posts for both Scale Aircraft Modelling AND Scale Aviation Modeller.

The article on the Airfix Walrus is in the latter.

Then there's a reference to SAM.

Can I propose that we use the word SAM for Scale Aircraft Modelling (Guideline publications) and SAvMI for Scale Aviation Modeller (confusingly by SAM publications) !!!

OR.....

SAM for SAM publications Scale Aviation Modeller and SACM for Guideline Publication Scale AirCraft Modelling

OR.....

SAVM and SACM

My brian hurts now......:whistle:

Let he who is without sin.......

Ken

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2018 at 8:24 PM, SleeperService said:

(hence galley slave)

Umm... No. The usage is a little bit older than movable type.

49 minutes ago, Flankerman said:

SAvMI for Scale Aviation Modeller

Pronounced Save Me, p'raps? ;)

• Like 1

On 1/27/2018 at 11:20 AM, Whofan said:

....shame that. But how can it be corrected without reprinting in full both articles ? I'm sure that there won't be space to do that. That said there is a massive amount of stuff to read in SAM nowadays, so the comments in post #10 seem a little unfair 

6 hours ago, Flankerman said:

The thread title says 'February 2018 Scale AVIATION Modelling' - when the first post mentions Scale AIRCRAFT Modelling

Then we have posts about SAMI - but that gets used in subsequent posts for both Scale Aircraft Modelling AND Scale Aviation Modeller.

Can I propose that we use the word SAM for Scale Aircraft Modelling (Guideline publications) and SAvMI for Scale Aviation Modeller (confusingly by SAM publications) !!!

OR.....

SAM for SAM publications Scale Aviation Modeller and SACM for Guideline Publication Scale AirCraft Modelling

OR.....

SAVM and SACM

Ken

Scale Aircraft Modelling = SAM

Scale Aviation Modeller = SCAM

simples, except we couldn't have that, with its negative connotations, could we?

On 06/03/2018 at 2:29 AM, Mick4350 said:

Maybe everyone should email the magazines editor, Mr Gary Hatcher at [email protected] to complain of the magazines frequent errors.

Hmm. As a business owner I promise everyone that getting mail bombed has quite the opposite effect to the imagined effect of causing work to be done better.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hmm. As a business owner I promise everyone that getting mail bombed has quite the opposite effect to the imagined effect of causing work to be done better.

Simple premise.

One of the best training courses I've even been on, run by a man who had NO formal training qualifications, he just used common sense.

"If you push, the other person will push back"

Moral - DON'T pontificate, or complain for it's own sake, point out the error(s) and if possible suggest a solution.

Remember a spoon full of Honey goes a lot further than a gallon of vinegar!

Paul

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/03/2018 at 7:04 PM, Flankerman said:

OR.....

OR.....

SAVM and SACM

Ken

who's brian?........................

• Haha 2

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, Whofan said:

Reading the latest print February 2018 issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling and got to page 64 and started reading the build review of a Revel He 219, to be slightly confused by references to a build of an ICM  Do 17, especially as the pictures were of an He 219.

And maybe you can tell us what magazine your talking about !

Scale Aircraft Modelling or Scale Aviation Modeller International.

1 minute ago, Mick4350 said:

And maybe you can tell us what magazine your talking about !

Scale Aircraft Modelling or Scale Aviation Modeller International.

Yes, it's a bit of a bugger that I got the title wrong in the first place.

It's Scale Airrcraft Modelling, and they did actually refer to the error in the March edition.

Apologies for getting it wrong, I only have myself to blame.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my copy via my local newsagent and not impressed with a complete article text substituted for the wrong review and the ending of an article that does not conclude properly. Upon reading of the magazines editorial, I am wondering if we should be impressed with the excuse of wanting to continue to read and purchase the magazine in the future as the omissions of late is becoming more frequent and the lack of acknowledgment by the editor in the editorial about these mistakes is disheartening.