1/24 UH-1D Huey conversion Take Me Home Huey

5 minutes ago, massimo said:

You didn't chse an easy task, but you're doing great!

I don't know the subject, but the fuelagere-shaping is really good!

Ilike the idea of putting it on a trailer!

I'll be watching you!;)

Thanks, I get to combine my truck building as well as aircraft this way. I think the hardest part is done, just the surface detail will take a bit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to look like a Huey now. Lots of bodywork, had to fill the roof in several times to make it rounder. On the interior you can see the bodywork from the original fuselage to the new parts. I masked up the floor before everything went together. The doors I made and can be positioned opened or closed, they don't slide, to much work to make that. The smaller rectangle doors are glued closed. I cut off the original lights and reglued them on again, make sure to mark them where they came from.

take_me_home_huey_wip_Mar_19_2018_1.jpg

take_me_home_huey_wip_Mar_19_2018_2.jpg

Another view showing more of the interior. I also added strips to the inside chin area to make the fit better.

take_me_home_huey_wip_Mar_19_2018_3.jpg

Just another view. This shows the flange I made on the tail boom. I had to squeeze it a bit to make it fit the new fuselage joint.

• Like 10

This is an interesting and so far impressive project. Conversion/Scratch building in one go I would say. 

I like the Huey a lot and one day hope to acquire one or two. My preferred scale is 1/72 although I had been considering 1/48 as Kittyhawk have brought out some impressive examples of both the UH-1D and UH-1Y as I understand. This though is something else!

I'll be following this thread closely.

Well done so far.

Cheers

Terry

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

This is an interesting and so far impressive project. Conversion/Scratch building in one go I would say. 

I like the Huey a lot and one day hope to acquire one or two. My preferred scale is 1/72 although I had been considering 1/48 as Kittyhawk have brought out some impressive examples of both the UH-1D and UH-1Y as I understand. This though is something else!

I'll be following this thread closely.

Well done so far.

Cheers

Terry

if it wasn't for putting it on a trailer I would've done it in 1/72. There are a couple of Hueys I'd like to do, mostly the Ds and on. This is big and I want to keep my models smaller. At least it narrow and can be tucked away easy. thanks.

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

I have to say, this is up there as far as one of the coolest builds on 'the net' right now.......wonderfully executed and will look amazing to see finished.  Keep up the great work!

Thanks, haven't looked around for what many other major conversions are being made right now. Still haven't heard back from the group with the helo, for the remaining pictures I need of the wrap.

Anyone who might be seeing this helo in the U.S. soon? I need a few pictures of the 'take me home huey' roof decals and the group has not returned my calls or emails. I already signed a copyright waver with them.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

8 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

If you get stuck on the roof details, I can go down to the RNZAF Museum on the weekend and take some photo's for you.

I have a Revell 1/32 Huey I have been collecting parts to convert into a Bell 412EP Twin Huey

Cheers

Anthony

i need the roof of the 'take me home huey' decals. Actually i do also need the roof surface detail, so if you can that would be great., Panel lines and rivets mostly.

21 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

No problem, I will do this on the weekend

Great, let me know what you come up with.

9 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Thanks for continuing to share your progress, like Anthony I think this is one of the most exciting builds on the internet. Fascinating!

Thanks Zac

7 hours ago, matti64 said:

Just a thought?, should the tail boom be extended  to  account for the  change from 44' to 48' rotor diameter? Conversion is looking superb so far, congratulations.

good question, i read something about the diameter but couldn't find much. Sure don't feel like adding, but if i have to i will. Zac said he will look at one, i will ask.

19 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Thanks for continuing to share your progress, like Anthony I think this is one of the most exciting builds on the internet. Fascinating!

Can you find out  if the rotor diameter and tailboom are different lengths? Can you ask about tail rotor between the two versions?

http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/acdata_205_en.php  found this data and http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acdata_php/acdata_204_en.php it shows the B version with a much smaller tail rotor, need to check, they look the same to me. Shows the fuse slightly longer(about 11 inches), might be in the front section, not cutting mine up if it is.

Sorry, Anthony's the one who's checking out the UH-1H. I'm just providing enthusiasm and support!

Sorry, Anthony's the one who's checking out the UH-1H. I'm just providing enthusiasm and support!

As Homer Simpson says "Doh!

• Like 1

On 21/03/2018 at 4:55 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

No problem, I will do this on the weekend

Can you find out  if the rotor diameter and tailboom are different lengths? Can you ask about tail rotor between the two versions? you may have read this already, sent it Zac by mistake.

I think that the  rotor  on the D is 48'  span and 27" Chord versus  44' span and 21 " chord on a B. The chord of a C is 27" with 44 ' span and the Air forces  F and P is  48' span with a 27" chord. I assume that the tail boom difference is  2' and if you look  carefully in some photos appears to be a parrallel  section. My only real experienc eis of conveeting the Monogram "Hog"  (a B/C hybrid) into  an Airforce Rescue UH-1 F.

Making the cowlings now. Wasn't sure what method to use, either way I'd have to make something. Thought about a wood buck for vac forming, but don't have much wood working tools on hand. Decided to make it from plastic strips on a frame work and bulkheads.

Take_me_home_huey_wip_Mar_24_2018_1.jpg

Take_me_home_huey_wip_Mar_24_2018_2.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, matti64 said:

I think that the  rotor  on the D is 48'  span and 27" Chord versus  44' span and 21 " chord on a B. The chord of a C is 27" with 44 ' span and the Air forces  F and P is  48' span with a 27" chord. I assume that the tail boom difference is  2' and if you look  carefully in some photos appears to be a parrallel  section. My only real experienc eis of conveeting the Monogram "Hog"  (a B/C hybrid) into  an Airforce Rescue UH-1 F.

I've seen a few different measurements so far while searching, I'll keep your measurements on hand. Might end up leaving the kit with it's original parts.

Here's the finished transmission fairing (that's what it's called) in the helo world.

take_me_home_huey_WIP_Mar_31_2018_1.jpg

bottom side view

take_me_home_huey_WIP_Mar_31_2018_2.jpg

Here's the bottom of the forward fuselage. I'm considering it done. Thanks to Anthony for the drawings, I was able to detail most of the panel lines. I wouln't recommend measuring this model for accuracy, but it is close for mostly eyeball. I made the lifting hook also, just some 11 mm tube and sheet plastic for the rest. I also added a thin strip under the roof of the cockpit where the kit's ribbing doesn't quite meet the skin on the inside. Stuff like that you would loose points on at a contest, not that I build to win any contests, I just build. I added 1" to the lengthen the skids and made a new cross bar that's slightly taller than the original.

take_me_home_huey_WIP_Mar_31_2018_3.jpg

Here's the rear with the fairing/cowling in place and more skin details. New louvers and dorsal light mount on the exhaust fairing. The brass mesh is a Paragonia product from or distributed through amaco.com. Got it at a craft store. I use it mostly for bug screens an truck models.

take_me_home_huey_WIP_Mar_31_2018_4.jpg

I glued on a piece of 220 grit sandpaper to make grip tape on the roof. I'm not sure if the real one has this. I've seen different patterns in some pictures of others. I know this section is painted green and not decaled. I know if I was working on top, I'd want grip tape. I masked off the area and put superglue on the back of the sandpaper, spread it around evenly, then carefully place it on. You can move it around a little bit before the glue sets up. I did this before and it works quite good for an actual grip tape effect.

take_me_home_huey_WIP_Mar_31_2018_5.jpg

• Like 7