RAF training units question

huvut76g7gbbui7

Whilst researching a friend's father-in-law's service record (see my earlier Halifax question) I came across these abbreviations which I cannot identify.

10 SOS, Reception Centre Blackpool. What's SOS?

After that he went to 2W 23.  No idea at all here!

His Wireless training was at 2 Signals School. I can't find a record of it.

His gunnery training was with 5 AGS.  According to records it didn't form.

Any help greatly appreciated.

There was a SoS, School of Special Flying but....probably not

No 10 Signals School was in Blackpool, The Winter Gardens

No2 Signals School was RAF Yatesbury

There was a No 3 and No4 AGS ,can't find a 5 though. I assume there was a No1 and 2.

The other numbers are Egyptian to me !

• Thanks 1

At a guess, 5 AGS could be at RAF Jurby - you have 5 Air Observers School (1939), which was re-titled as 5 Bombing and Gunnery School (by early 1940). It was then re-re-titled [sic] as 5 Air Observers School in 1941 (It became 5 Air Navigation and Bombing School in 1944). 

The name changes make it entirely possible for confusion on the part of those filling in the paperwork, and my speculation (based upon the date of the caterpillar club membership for your chap) is that he might have been on strength at Jurby either in 1940 (so the entry should've been ABGS or AB&GS) or 1941 (when someone transposed a 'G' for an 'O' or some similar faff). This problem still occurs with modern 540s (despite the imprecations of the Head of the AHB when he or members of his staff speak to various RAF Staff Courses)... 

Imagine, if you will, chancing upon records for 3 individuals. You discover that on 25 December, one of them was at [random choice of number] 1 SS. The second was at 1 SOS. The third at 1 S of S. And that they sat next to each other for Christmas lunch that day, since the three abbreviations refer to exactly the place, but the clerks weren't using the same acronym.

2W 23  could be: 2 Wing [of the Signals School], student on Course No.23; I've seen that format used before (and a derivative of that format can still be found on RAF Staff Courses today)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, XV107 said:

2 Wing [of the Signals School], student on Course No.23

That's what I was thinking as I was going to sleep last night !