Flying Boats & Float Planes 2 GB Chat

18 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I have a Douglas World Cruiser that is eyeing me from the top of the stack...

Great choice John

Wasn't one of these built in the last GB ? 

If its the same it's a fascinating aircraft and was another that I had never heard of before.

The very best of luck with the build

cheers Pat

13 hours ago, zebra said:

The last one was a superb GB, another go at it sounds like an excellent idea. Count me in.

Hi Zebra

Thats you on the list, what have you got in the stash that fits the bill, or is this a chance to add some extras to the stash ?

cheers Pat

7 hours ago, Ray S said:

Hello, can you count me in please?

I can start sanding out my 1/72 Aeroclub Felixstowe vacform soon and have it ready to build in time (maybe!). Failing that, I have a Twin Otter with Maldivian Air Taxi transfers. And probably some other kits too if I looked carefully.

Ray

Hi Ray

I have always had a soft spot for the Felixstowe, ever since reading the book "The Spider Web" by Squadron Leader T. D. Hallam

I would love to build the Roden one with the red fuselage and white squiggles. I believe the Aeroclub one is the connoisseurs choice so good luck if you decide to choose this one.

My shockingly poor display in the last GB, not really starting my Contrail Perth shouldn't be used as an example of not doing a big Vacform Biplane Flying Boat, after all look at the Blackburn Iris in the last GB that was finished !

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Zebra

Thats you on the list, what have you got in the stash that fits the bill, or is this a chance to add some extras to the stash ?

cheers Pat

There’s a Walrus, Sikorsky S-43 and an Ar-196 but who knows what might end up in the stash by the time we start. The last GB has got me thinking about Catalinas. Also fancy a Grumman Duck. Or maybe something like a Beriev Be-200. Or even an ekranoplan (autocorrect on my phone had a good go at that one!). 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018 at 9:39 AM, LDSModeller said:

Mentioned in an above post by Dazey re Catapults, but won't be in the group build as it is well and

truly underway, is this kit of a Hasegawa Aichi Jake and Catapult

bdb684c3-3214-49c2-b763-970ebd72cbfc.jpg

So a few to choose from - I still have  few Sunderland's too but plan to build them before then

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Your kit looks to be about the same vintage as mine!

Please don't be put off doing it in the GB because I mentioned it. In addition to the Norseman I've been itching to do, I also have an interesting 1/72 kit of the Kawanishi N1K1 Rex in resin by Aki.

Regardless, I hope to see your finished Jake (and catapult!) sometime on BM.

All the best,

David 

50 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Hi Alan,

Your kit looks to be about the same vintage as mine!

Please don't be put off doing it in the GB because I mentioned it. In addition to the Norseman I've been itching to do, I also have an interesting 1/72 kit of the Kawanishi N1K1 Rex in resin by Aki.

Regardless, I hope to see your finished Jake (and catapult!) sometime on BM.

All the best,

David 

Hi David,

My Jake is quite well past the 25% for GB's:D

Some photos of where it's at

05c1cc27-7ac2-4165-9119-bd266b00a090.jpg

a9bf4eab-231b-4dc5-8152-3951a86dc324.jpg

1239784a-f468-4b20-b7c4-2f80776eb7c4.jpg

112dc479-1d4b-4cf9-9a19-b66a3e9a80da.jpg

Hope you like^_^

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LDSModeller said:

Hope you like^_^

Regards

Hi Alan,

I do like it. I am guessing it is the same tooling with the raised panel lines. If so, you've done a nice job with the describing. Something I'm yet to try.

It's a kit I'm looking forward to doing (maybe with my daughter if she's interested).

Regards,

David

Hi all,

Just to stir interest in the GB here's my list of options, all in 1/72, except the Ekranoplan:

1. Floatplanes

Airfix Fairey Swordfish Mk I (floats)

142697-11185-pristine.jpg

Hasegawa SOC-3 Seagull

1021080-27767-57-720.jpg

Hasegawa KAWANISHI E7K1 TYPE 94 "ALF"

137425-11185-pristine.jpg

2.Flying Boats

Roden Felixstowe F.2A

104048-10404-pristine.jpg

Valom Supermarine Seagull V

148354-10571-pristine.jpg

Eduard "The Boat"

1015043-13777-35-720.jpg

Italeri Sunderland Mk III

258984-12623-88-pristine.jpg

Revell BV222

259037-11575-70-pristine.jpg

Minicraft PBM-5A Mariner

199639-11185-43-pristine.jpg

3. Ekranoplanes

Zvezda Ekranoplan

174034-12660-20-pristine.jpg

4. Amphibious Helicopters

Airfix Seaking

692238-14745-31-pristine.jpg

Italeri MH-53E Sea Dragon

629383-15582-95-pristine.jpg

That's it. Enough choices, I guess, but I'll choose the simpler option (still thinking about it).

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 4

That's a fine collection Jaime, you seem to have plenty to choose from. I like the look of the Swordfish Floatplane, and should further inspiration be needed I thought that I would post a pic of my DH.60G Coupe completed for the Flying Boats and Floatplanes GB that has recently ended.

39524535602_7e08443ab8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

That's a fine collection Jaime, you seem to have plenty to choose from. I like the look of the Swordfish Floatplane, and should further inspiration be needed I thought that I would post a pic of my DH.60G Coupe completed for the Flying Boats and Floatplanes GB that has recently ended.

Thanks for posting your build from the GB, John! It is a beautiful model! I added a few of the kits shown in my previous post to my stash since the GB was put in the 2017 calendar. Some were bought due to models being built in the GB. I still have several float planes and flying boats in my wish-list, as I'm a great admirer of these aircraft.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

On 04/02/2018 at 5:18 PM, Rick Brown said:

Count me in.

I need to build that 1/32nd Cub that's taking up soo much room in the stash.

Rick.

You are very welcome Rick

Thats an impressive size of aircraft, look forward to seeing what you have planned for it.

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

As I'm still building my Do-24, which was my entry to the original Flying Boats and Float Planes GB, I bought this for inspiration on weathering techniques to apply:

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/twa-english-version/1410-twa-issue-8-english.html

twa-issue-8-english.jpg

Hopefully, this will bring a few more interested BMers to this new GB :)

Cheers

Jaime

I have a dozen of them still in stash, starting from Boeing Clipper (1/72 vacu), Coronado and Mariner (Mach 2) as well as Sunderland and BV 222 and ending with small like Duck, Seamew, Seagull, Seahawk etc... So I am in

J-W

• Like 2

On 11/02/2018 at 10:46 PM, JWM said:

I have a dozen of them still in stash, starting from Boeing Clipper (1/72 vacu), Coronado and Mariner (Mach 2) as well as Sunderland and BV 222 and ending with small like Duck, Seamew, Seagull, Seahawk etc... So I am in

J-W

Hi Jerzy

How many can I put you down for this time !  :wicked:

I think the thought of a Clipper in 1/72 Plus vacform  :door:

Welcome to the list, it wouldn't have been the same without you  :thumbsup:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 09/02/2018 at 8:41 PM, Col. said:

Go on then. Never did get started to the Testors S6b in my stash so maybe this time around.

Hi Col

You are very welcome, I think someone built the same kit in the last GB, it looks the business and easier on the eyesight the 1/72  ;)

cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

On 09/02/2018 at 8:56 PM, Paul J said:

And why not. Count me in.. again. Beaver and whatever else I can be inspired by that lands on water.

Hi Paul

Very welcome, lots of time to add to the stash before this GB gets off the ground, something nice and easy like a Roden Felixstowe !

Yes I have one, yes I would love to build it and no, every time I open the box to see a sea of parts I feel dizzy and close it again quickly :phew:

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

something nice and easy like a Roden Felixstowe !

Yes I have one, yes I would love to build it and no, every time I open the box to see a sea of parts I feel dizzy and close it again quickly :phew:

I also have one, the version with the extra machine gun turret on the top wing. It should be a challenging project! I must clear the shelf of doom first...

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Knight_Flyer

You are very welcome, I always associate this aircraft with the Falklands War and them being lashed by waves while tied down to the flight deck. What decals does yours come with and what do you have planned for it ?

cheers Pat

this sounds interesting.

Pat did you ever finish that last flying boat? I seem to remember it was a Vacform beastie! I actually don't have any in the stash now...but that could change at any moment! :wicked:

i don't know if anyone has put their hand up to Co-host, but am happy to if you need it.