SHAR FRS.1 payload?

Nicke06

I’m in the final stages of finishing my Kinetic SHAR FRS.1 in 800 NAS, ZD698 markings from the Operation Deny Flight over Bosnia -94/95. I served as infantry in UNPRORFOR/Nordbat 2, so we had all kinds of NATO aircraft flying over our heads but we never had a chance to see them (to high and to grey). I plan to use the 190-gal tanks on my SHAR but what weapons load would be correct?

Single AIM-9 launchers or twin, bombs on centerline or anything else? Any help would be fine.

Thanks

Nicklas

Richard is correct, plus the two Aden pods. The thing that is missing in all kits of the FRS-1 is the ALE-40 panel behind the airbrake for chaff and flares. The panel in the Kinetic kit only depicts the later version which only carried flares.

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, Richard E said:

Nicklas

You will probably find that the standard weapons load was single AIM-9L Sidewinders on the outboard pylons and a 1,000lb in the centreline pylon.

Someone with greater knowledge such as @Selwyn or Dave @Shar2 will, hopefully, be able to confirm.

Yep that sounds right to me ...dual mission or rather protection......there is a book by Lt Cdr Richardson who got shot down might be worth a read  

• Like 1

If you wished to do something a bit different you could fit Lepus flares, one per outboard pylon. While most photos of Lepus show them as blue rounds the live ones were white with dull red-brown and green bands; see p159 of the Harrier Modellers Datafile by SAM Publications. From speaking to pilots I know they were used out there and, on one occasion, caused a bit of a scare for some out-of-position Italians...

Just a thought.

Cheers

Nick