This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
bootneck

Model Hobbies co uk

Does anyone here have any information on the model supplier named Model Hobbies co uk?  I am having a bit of a problem in a non-delivery, and the lack of update/feedback via emails; plus the number does not appear to answer.  Anyone bought stuff from them, or had a problem that was resolved successfuly?

Mike

I've bought from them a few times with no problems, but there are sometimes a few people that have trouble with them if an order goes awry.  Seems to be a bit of an intermittent vacuum in terms of customer servcie :hmmm:

Thanks Mike.  The order was a month ago and if there's no solution by this weekend I have to formalise the dispute with PayPal.  I just wanted to check if this problem is a one-off or not.

Mike

I've bought from them with no issues on several occasions, but only via eBay. I think there have been a couple of threads here in the last regarding non-delivery from Model Hobbies, especially when dealing directly with them.

I didn't know they did sales by eBay.  I needed the item for last month's Flying Boats and Floatplanes GB so it has not been successful for me at all.  Ah well, I'll raise the dispute and ask for my money back.

cheers

Mike

I did two orders on the last 6 months and in both some items were missing. They never respond to my emails. The only way was by Paypal to have my money back.

Had problems with them before, which I've posted on this forum, along with others. Many report the same problem, if the package doesn't turn up, they ignore any emails and you have to take it up with Paypal, ebay etc to get your money back. The negative feedback on their ebay account mirrors my experience.

Over time I have had alot from them mainly from Ebay but some from the website. Early in Dec I ordered off the site and was told the item was sent out for delivery. Unfortunatly it was not delivered and I wrote to them twice with no reply at all. Lodged a claim with Paypal and had the money returned early this week.

This appears to be par for the course with them as a friend also had the same happen and he has been barred completely from any trade with them.

It is an odd way to conduct a business if you want to retain or build a customer base.

I've had numerous issues with them, either orders not being posted or numerous items missing. Each time i've resorted to Paypal and they've sorted the issue for me. Wouldn't buy from them again. Awful service.

There have been numerous threads about them over the years. At one point a member (Pielstick?) had a problem and someone from the company popped up to offer a solution, but I can't remember their username now. Our antipodean members seem to be unduly affected, which is a shame as they wouldn't know there was a problem with a delivery until several weeks have passed, making it more difficult to resolve. I've ordered from them twice and had a problem with the last order. I haven't used them for years and, based on their reputation, don't bother with them now. 

Thanks.  I've raised a dispute with PayPal and have to wait until 5th Feb to see if Model Hobbies resolves the problem/

Mike

I think that's the best solution, Mike. I've no doubt that the vast majority of their transactions are concluded without any problems, but they seem unduly incapable of resolving problems when they arise. 

Paul

I’ve just returned a 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito to them as I actually ordered the 1:72 version! Communications with them was very poor but as soon as I requested a return through eBay they accepted it. I’m just waiting for them to process the refund early next week once the kit has arrived back with them.

Keep us informed on this one please Brian. On their past form, I wouldn't think it comes with a guarantee. I got bitten a couple of times back when paypal dispute resolution cut off was much less than today so I was up the creek without a paddle by the time it was clear what was going on, nowadays if I click on an ebay listing & see its them I click straight back out of there, I'd rather pay more for my Pavla set from Heepdrutt or one of the other traders.

Steve.

I'm pleased that worked out for you, I suspect that had it not been through ebay with their clout, things might have been different but maybe that's my deep seated suspicion coming to the fore. :)

Steve.

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm pleased that worked out for you, I suspect that had it not been through ebay with their clout, things might have been different but maybe that's my deep seated suspicion coming to the fore. :)

Steve.

I suspect you are quite correct. I had attempted to sort it out direct with MH before I raised it through eBay but I got very poor response.

Seems to me that they get it right most of the time but are hopeless when they get it wrong...

After a recent experience with Model Hobbies I thought that I should add my two penn'orth. Last weekend I ordered a set of Quickboost Spitfire propeller blades from the company via ebay. When I saw the ebay confirmation I realised that I had ordered the wrong thing, so on Monday morning I contacted them and spoke to Danielle, and explained the position. She was very positive and said that she would look into the matter; she duly contacted me to say that they would replace the unwanted item with the required item. Later she confirmed that the required bit had been despatched. So I have nothing but praise for the company and their service. I have used them a few times before and have had no issue with them

John

That is good to hear, especially as they have not answered the phone or responded to my emails.  Hence my original post as to whether anyone had a problem that was resolves satisfactorily.  I even suggested that I get a credit note, as I like some other stuff they have and could have used that towards something else.

Mike

I ordered an item from them and I was quickly notified that it had been dispatched.  A week later and no item so I went through the motions with them and then contacted eBay.   Received a quick refund and apology.  A week or so later, after a senior moment, I placed another order with them and it arrived in, if I remember, in three days.  Note to customer thanking me and citing my valued customer status.  

So, last Saturday I placed another order with them and it was listed as dispatched the same day.  Should arrive today so watch this space.

Cheers

Dennis

I think that your response sums it all up Dennis.  It doesn't appear that they are a bad company in themselves, possibly just not that good at customer relations if there is a problem.  As I mentioned before, I do like some of their stuff in the catalogue so, when my issue has been resolved through PayPal, I may still give them another chance with a fresh order.

Cheers

Mike

Ok, so the Quickboost engine I ordered from Model Hobbies on Saturday evening arrived this morning.  The specified delivery date(s) were the seventh or eighth.  The fragile resin was well protected by cardboard and bubble wrap.  This makes two in a row “for” ordering from them.  The one “against” just seems to have gone astray somewhere.  

I’d certainly order from them again as they have certain items that I can’t seem to find elsewhere.

Cheers

Dennis

I think I’ve had over 30 orders from them and I’ve only had one not show up. I’ll admit the communication was none existent when I tried to contact them, but that’s the only one that’s gone walkabouts.

Sean

I used them twice before via ebay and both times nothing turned up.

My advice is, if they only have one item of question in stock and you cannot find it anywhere else (either OOP or production run end), do not buy it as they likely do not have it either. I don't think they carry stock of everything they list and rely on ordering it in from elsewhere and come stuck when they cannot get it in, go check their ebay feedback and the pattern becomes quite obvious. 

As others have stated, they can be just fine where I assume mostly the item is freely available, it is just when the item is unavailable elsewhere or singular stock I'd be wary. Not somewhere I'll send any of my money again. Just my theory anyway and I cannot be 100% sure of this, maybe 95%. 

David