My 1960s Hobby Shop and Modelling Work Space

6 hours ago, bootneck said:

Just looked at your photostream Charles, is that you at the stick of a Huey?

Mike

Sure was bootneck.  To be 25 years old, a UH-1H pilot in command staioned in West Germany, and sharing officer quarters with nurses from the Air Force and Army--ahhhh those were the days!!

My crew and myself Wildflecken, West Germany, sometime in the mid 80s.  Fun!!

IMG_2689

Afghanistan, summer 2005.  Not so much fun.

IMGP0504

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 5:35 PM, CMSCHLOM said:

My crew and myself Wildflecken, West Germany, sometime in the mid 80s.  Fun!!

I think there used to be a couple of good model shops in and around Munich, back then. No idea if any have survived.

What a jaw-dropping sight, you certainly have some interesting Japanese stuff there - is that the BIG G-Mark Bell 47 in two of the pics ? Hobbytime B-47 is another kit that's not really seen that often. And - you are not ashamed of presenting a Starfix "Dogfight Double" :D - which has a monstrously large box...

6 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I think there used to be a couple of good model shops in and around Munich, back then. No idea if any have survived.

What a jaw-dropping sight, you certainly have some interesting Japanese stuff there - is that the BIG G-Mark Bell 47 in two of the pics ? Hobbytime B-47 is another kit that's not really seen that often. And - you are not ashamed of presenting a Starfix "Dogfight Double" :D - which has a monstrously large box...

Love the Japanese stuff!  Box art, motorized, see through fuselage, etc.  You have a good eye, that is a G-Mark Bell-47, one of the most rare kits in my collection, only sold in Japan.  The Hobbytime B-47 was made over the border in Racine, Wisconsin.  It is wood and plastic.  My wife grew up behind the HAWK model factory on Olcott Avenue in Chicago.  I also have the Starfix 1967 War collection, including combat map and history of Starfix in Israel.  The kits are all from Airfix.  I love the pic of the Jordanian F-104 auguring in.  In fact, the Jordanian Air Force hid them so they wouldn't get shot up.  

18 hours ago, tempestfan said:

photo 1 (11)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, tempestfan said:

5 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I completely missed that on my first look, I'm speechless!

photo 2 (7)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Love the Japanese stuff!  Box art, motorized, see through fuselage, etc.  You have a good eye, that is a G-Mark Bell-47, one of the most rare kits in my collection, only sold in Japan.  The Hobbytime B-47 was made over the border in Racine, Wisconsin.  It is wood and plastic.  My wife grew up behind the HAWK model factory on Olcott Avenue in Chicago.  I also have the Starfix 1967 War collection, including combat map and history of Starfix in Israel.  The kits are all from Airfix.  I love the pic of the Jordanian F-104 auguring in.  In fact, the Jordanian Air Force hid them so they wouldn't get shot up.  

I can fully imagine that - I admit I somewhat prefer a Cross/Huxley/Koike pre-1985 approach, but Komatzutzaki (hope I got the spelling right...) art definitely has a special something. Pity that pre-1975 Japanese stuff is not easy to obtain in Germany, else I may be seduced...

Thanks for the pic of the 47, never saw that one before - I think it was hugely expensive and  available only for a short period. I always wondered what prompted G-Mark to invest in that kit, the only other kits by them I am aware of are the B-1A which is much more well known as Entex and a series of Japanese tram kits. Actually it was an inspired guess only re the kit, OTOH my chences of failure were slim as there weren't that many 47 kits on the market before Revellogram's MASH kit.

Cool, I read something about HobbyTime kits on another forum, but probably I forgot that they started as "mixed" kits like early Monogram. Only others by them I know are their absolutely dreadful Me 109 and P-51 that ended up with Lindberg.

That's a nice anecdote, for how long did they produce in that location ?

Gosh, I want that 6-Day-Set ! Never seen it before ! However, the only Airfix (copy) by Starfix is their Skyhawk (possibly also the MiG-21), most others are Heller Cadet copies, plus the odd Revell downsized (F-4B) and Aurora (1748 choppers). Not sure if the H-19 is 3/4 size Airfix or half size Revell...

13 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I can fully imagine that - I admit I somewhat prefer a Cross/Huxley/Koike pre-1985 approach, but Komatzutzaki (hope I got the spelling right...) art definitely has a special something. Pity that pre-1975 Japanese stuff is not easy to obtain in Germany, else I may be seduced...

Thanks for the pic of the 47, never saw that one before - I think it was hugely expensive and  available only for a short period. I always wondered what prompted G-Mark to invest in that kit, the only other kits by them I am aware of are the B-1A which is much more well known as Entex and a series of Japanese tram kits. Actually it was an inspired guess only re the kit, OTOH my chences of failure were slim as there weren't that many 47 kits on the market before Revellogram's MASH kit.

Cool, I read something about HobbyTime kits on another forum, but probably I forgot that they started as "mixed" kits like early Monogram. Only others by them I know are their absolutely dreadful Me 109 and P-51 that ended up with Lindberg.

That's a nice anecdote, for how long did they produce in that location ?

Gosh, I want that 6-Day-Set ! Never seen it before ! However, the only Airfix (copy) by Starfix is their Skyhawk (possibly also the MiG-21), most others are Heller Cadet copies, plus the odd Revell downsized (F-4B) and Aurora (1748 choppers). Not sure if the H-19 is 3/4 size Airfix or half size Revell...

The Hawk factory was in Chicago I'm guessing since the 50's till they sold their molds to Testers in 1970.  Illinois (Chicago area) boasted many model companies.  Hawk, Monogram, Lindberg, Testors, and an independent fellow who does vacuform kits.  Wisconsin had two makers, Hobby Time which was an offshoot of Racine Coil Company (don't know what they made) and a tiny company in Burlington, Wisconsin, which made an F6F in the late 50s.  I have one, probably the most obscure kit in my collection.

Edited by CMSCHLOM

6 hours ago, jefropas said:

A member of the Illinois contingent here as well, Naperville...I miss Al's and Venture Hobby....

Jeff

I do too.  The owner of Venture is now living in Saint Louis helping to raise his grandson, and stepping into Al's was like going back 60 years!

What I saw was the 1/200 Nichimo Yamato what a kit to buy and build as a kid.The kit cost me close $200 back in 1974 and I was 13 and made $30 a week mowing lawns.I was an AF brat father would take me out to Keesler AFB to Toyland  and I get kits there and see airshows out there ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, javlin said:

What I saw was the 1/200 Nichimo Yamato what a kit to buy and build as a kid.The kit cost me close $200 back in 1974 and I was 13 and made $30 a week mowing lawns.I was an AF brat father would take me out to Keesler AFB to Toyland  and I get kits there and see airshows out there ;)

Not to brag Javlin but I have a rare version of the Nichimo 1/200 Yamato.  This one is made for R/C, and comes with a beefed up transmission for the screws, and extended rudder.  (OK, I'm bragging)  

photo 1 (13)

photo 2 (10)

I can only echo the sentiments that have already been expressed here....

I would say you have better "stock levels" than most model-shops of days gone by. The rarity value on some of the kits must be something on its own.

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris. 

On 30/01/2018 at 10:13 AM, Booty003 said:

What a great set of photos, sitting here with a big smile on my face - I should get back to work really....!!

Phil

Must be time for 3 hours of (free)morning fizz before lunch Royal (he said jealously)

On 30/01/2018 at 10:13 AM, Booty003 said:

What a great set of photos, sitting here with a big smile on my face - I should get back to work really....!!

Phil

Must be time for 3 hours of (free)morning fizz before lunch Royal (he said jealously)